+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good hand'skin conditioner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can anyone recommend a good hand'skin conditioner?

Now, there's a thread title I never thought I'd come remotely close to posting on here! I never thought of myself as someone who did not wash their hands often enough before and I still don't - I'm washing my hands slightly more often these days, but not that much. However, what I have learned in the last few weeks is that I was hopeless at it in terms of the length of time I washed and how thorough I was when doing it. Nowadays, my hand washing takes longer than that two verses of Happy Birthday Boris Johnson talked about because I'm being thorough, but my hands aren't half paying a price for it!

I used to think that hand/skin conditioner was all a bit of a con aimed in particular at gullible women - how wrong I was. My hands are in a terrible state now - my skin is sore, red and blotchy around the wrist area with signs of some sort of rash, it's much looser and leathery than it was on the backs of my hands and my knuckles are worn and raw with occasional flecks of blood coming through (I take Warfarin every day) - my next list for my weekly shop is definitely going to include hand/skin conditioner!

Re: Can anyone recommend a good hand'skin conditioner?

Aveeno is my recommendation. Should be able to order from boots.

Not cheap though.

O’Keeffe’s working hands is very good. I’ve used it for a while now on cracked and rough skin. Boots, Wilko, Screwfix are among places that stock it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    O’Keeffe’s working hands is very good. I’ve used it for a while now on cracked and rough skin. Boots, Wilko, Screwfix are among places that stock it.
    O'keeffe's definitely.

E 45

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Agree with this - the wife struggled for years with high street brands, and I bought some of this from a works trade supplier and it sorted it in days.

The answer may be in changing your hand cleaner (easier said than done these days I know), one with aloe vera added or with a moisturiser in it.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    The answer may be in changing your hand cleaner (easier said than done these days I know), one with aloe vera added or with a moisturiser in it.
    I was told what seems a sensible rule of thumb about soap last week - the smellier it is, the more damage it does to your skin. I identified the soap I had which I suspected was causing the damage a few days ago and stopped using it, but, although it may be too soon yet for it to have an effect, I've not noticed any real difference so far.

Thanks for the suggestions made, I'll be acting on at least one of them in the coming days.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    This is what we got

No need for hand creams

E45

CeraVe reparative hand cream, about £6 in the shops, really good.

O Keeffe's or Norwegian Hand Cream. My hand take a hiding and these both work well for me.

try honey then rinse in hot water

The whole family use ATRIXO. I've used it off and on over a very long period and I find it very good. We get ours from Boots but I'm sure you'll find it online.

Flexitol is also very good. It’s also a bit expensive, but works well.
    In Bristol, we have very hard water and my hands are constantly as rough as a robber’s dog.
    The key is to mix it up, as your skin may be build up a resistance.
    I also find Aveeno very good, with the bonus of being advertised by Jennifer Anniston...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Now, there's a thread title I never thought I'd come remotely close to posting on here! I never thought of myself as someone who did not wash their hands often enough before and I still don't - I'm washing my hands slightly more often these days, but not that much. However, what I have learned in the last few weeks is that I was hopeless at it in terms of the length of time I washed and how thorough I was when doing it. Nowadays, my hand washing takes longer than that two verses of Happy Birthday Boris Johnson talked about because I'm being thorough, but my hands aren't half paying a price for it!

I used to think that hand/skin conditioner was all a bit of a con aimed in particular at gullible women - how wrong I was. My hands are in a terrible state now - my skin is sore, red and blotchy around the wrist area with signs of some sort of rash, it's much looser and leathery than it was on the backs of my hands and my knuckles are worn and raw with occasional flecks of blood coming through (I take Warfarin every day) - my next list for my weekly shop is definitely going to include hand/skin conditioner!
    I assume that you are not scrubbing your hands with a nail brush or similar that can cause the irritation. If not then sounds like you have a contact dermatitis, caused by something irritating the skin...maybe the soap or hand cleaner, maybe too vigorous rubbing. It can be quite painful and almost eczema like.

Rather than buy hand cream I suggest you ask your local pharmacist for advice. He/she may recommend a soothing cream like E45 or even a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone. The pharmacist is a good place to start, and do tell them exactly what you are using to wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I assume that you are not scrubbing your hands with a nail brush or similar that can cause the irritation. If not then sounds like you have a contact dermatitis, caused by something irritating the skin...maybe the soap or hand cleaner, maybe too vigorous rubbing. It can be quite painful and almost eczema like.

Rather than buy hand cream I suggest you ask your local pharmacist for advice. He/she may recommend a soothing cream like E45 or even a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone. The pharmacist is a good place to start, and do tell them exactly what you are using to wash your hands.
    This is excellent advice. I was also thinking about the hydrocortisone cream.