+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What happened to saving money for a rainy day?

International

Re: What happened to saving money for a rainy day?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I’ve resorted to chopping my medication up into lines and sniffing it.
    I can't do that any more, its making a mess of the bandages on my fingers.

Re: What happened to saving money for a rainy day?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    this is the issue the under 40's dont get, most i know live month to month, despite earning a good wage

I have a good mate who is in his late 30's, we met 14 years ago when our kids went to the same preschool, we have gone through lifes high and lows with the kids and always chatted about them, he started out with a house about 20 houses down the road from me, i drove past his house every day on the way home, if it was a nice evening, he would be out washing his cars with a beer, i would pull up, we would have a beer and a chat, at the time he was driving a nice-ish volvo, he was working installing printers

Then he worked his way up the company, moved houses maybe 7 times, every promotion meant a better car and a bigger house, things he didnt need, but he had the money, so why not, he still had over 30 K in credit card bills, which amazed me

he now lives in a £750 K house, drives a BMW X7, his wife drives some top end sports car, he has a holiday home in spain on a golf complex , its all good

Now this guy is now earning £ 150 K a year , the good news is that his credit card bills are not £ 30 K, they are 50 K, it doesnt matter, as he is earning great money, savings ?? ? not a penny, nothing, every month they dive into the overdraft

He facetimed me last week for a beer, we sat in our gardens and chatted crap like we normally do, he moaned about not having any money, of course he is forloughed and his company is topping up his wages a little, but its certainly not the £150 K a year, i found it a little funny that a guy can earn that much and still not put anything away for a rainy day, he got annoyed that Im not sweating like him, but being in the building game most of my working life i knew that recessions can arrive with little notice, the building game it always the hardest hit, I have normally got 6 months money put aside, as it happens, this time i havent ( as i ploughed it all into the house move ) but Ive mortgaged holidayed for 3 months and will get through this
    Clasic example, maybe he will struggle for a bit and learn from being skint?