+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parking outside someone else's house?

International

Re: Parking outside someone else's house?

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    It's one of the vagaries of the law, unfortunately.

Same as it's illegal to block you in, but it's not illegal if you're trying to get back into your driveway and someone has blocked you from doing so.

Some student at UHW parked on a neighbours drive, police came out and pointed out they couldn't do anything.
    People do this in Twickenham all the time when there's a game on at the Cabbage Patch. A woman who came home and found someone parked onher drive made a phone call and had 120 tons of type 1 ballast delivered and poured on her drive behind the vehicle. The owner on his return called the police who laughed at him. His car stayed there for days until he paid for someone ot move the Type 1 and put it back again.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    People do this in Twickenham all the time when there's a game on at the Cabbage Patch. A woman who came home and found someone parked onher drive made a phone call and had 120 tons of type 1 ballast delivered and poured on her drive behind the vehicle. The owner on his return called the police who laughed at him. His car stayed there for days until he paid for someone ot move the Type 1 and put it back again.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    The amount of people who have a lovely driveway built in front of their house where there previously wasn't one or was a garden, and then don't get the kerb dropped is truly astounding. Councils have clocked this, it'll be the next big fine frenzy.

A completely deserved fine for being stupid, as well.
    you need authority to change the kerb, you cannot just lift kerb stones, and I thought, though I'm not sure that you need authority to put a driveway into your house across a public footpath.

you need authority to change the kerb, you cannot just lift kerb stones, and I thought, though I'm not sure that you need authority to put a driveway into your house across a public footpath.
    Yes. So what I'm saying is people are just doing up their driveways as it were and not notifying the authorities to request a change in kerb. Thus just driving over a public footpath.

International

Yes. So what I'm saying is people are just doing up their driveways as it were and not notifying the authorities to request a change in kerb. Thus just driving over a public footpath.
    that is my understanding. I rembmeer when right ot by fist started, everyone wanted a drive and double gates (Very posh) but the council came round and told some poeple they couldn't have them for 1 reason or another and that was the end of that.

International

sorry didn't mean to exaberate 10 tons!!! But it was enough

I see this lots as I'm trying to park, when working in peoples houses.

My question is - are you allowed to block the 'drive' if the pavement/kerb hasn't been dropped?

Rules around the Kings highway, right of conquest, land and property ownership, squatting laws, public property, private property, common land etc it is all a legal minefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I see this lots as I'm trying to park, when working in peoples houses.

My question is - are you allowed to block the 'drive' if the pavement/kerb hasn't been dropped?
    Yes, because you have to have a dropped kerb to drive across the public footpath.

The street I live on is fairly busy, so it's not that unusual to find that someone has parked outside your house while you've nipped out for whatever reason. Although I never have to park too far away when this happens, I still have a whinge to myself when it does and I move my car back in front of my house as soon as I notice that whoever was there has moved - to be fair, I don't do this for entirely selfish reasons, I always go by the idea that if my car is outside my house, it's not stopping someone else parking outside theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The street I live on is fairly busy, so it's not that unusual to find that someone has parked outside your house while you've nipped out for whatever reason. Although I never have to park too far away when this happens, I still have a whinge to myself when it does and I move my car back in front of my house as soon as I notice that whoever was there has moved - to be fair, I don't do this for entirely selfish reasons, I always go by the idea that if my car is outside my house, it's not stopping someone else parking outside theirs.
    It’s tribal mentality , I would say, the majority of us are the same

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I cannot park outside my house but I have a parking facility just around the corner in a private car park shared by several others. I generally always park in the same place and if, as yesterday I come home and someone is in "My" place it really pisses me off, even though really no one has dedicated spaces. The tribalist me thinks 'they f**king know I always park there.
    Then I have to park all of 15 yards away Grrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    True that's why some people go overboard with this, I parked opposite my Mothers house making sure I didn't block the peoples drive I parked very close to the car behind. They came back and obviously had a strop and blocked their own driveway and part of her neighbours to block me in so I couldn't move.

I only live five minutes away so I left it there for two weeks, they are not so stroppy now when I very occasionally have to park there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Yes, because you have to have a dropped kerb to drive across the public footpath.
    That's what I though thanks.

I try to avoid doing it but know someones going challenge me about it one day.

Actually one downside of this lockdown is that even though the roads are much quieter, parking close to properties is far more difficult as most people are home.

The council aren’t being petty on requiring householders to apply for a dropped kerb crossover and drive. It’s pretty important that drives that are taking place of green areas are permeable. A solid concrete base or non permeable concrete print drive is certainly not acceptable, they are usually replacing grassed areas which drank loads of rainwater, water which now runs off to roadside gullies and drains which were installed long ago without the capacity for the extra volume, witness the build up of roadside water during the recent wet spell. I think people doing it off their own backs should be brought to book and if they are a home owner and an acceptable driveway isn’t included on their deeds it should come back and bite them on the arse should they wish to sell.