+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: help with the name of a pub

International

Re: help with the name of a pub

Fascinating list here of the old pubs of Cardiff. It's amazin how many pubd there were in the city centre.
    But what drew my attention was the Clifton in broadway.
    It says "formally know as the Tredegar" how odd is that given that the tredegar people remember now was at the opposite end of clifton Street.

International

greatest apo,gies for the wrong alink, i don't know how that happened. the proper link is here.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/ca...vol5/pp438-445

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    ACCACs
    Thats right it was The ACACs I payed for them and The Tredegar pub was my local for about 25 years .
    And as other posters have said it was a mad pub but what memories some mad and fantastic ones probably some of the best times I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Best eater in the diff in its era, mixed grill and a mountain of skinny chips rough as fk, cheap as chips, what more could you want after a session in Monty's if you hadn't pulled (I was always in the Patrice) !!!!
    I was also a regular in here,used to go in there with my mate Tony Debono [god rest his soul] we used to order chicken curry & chips/rice 1/2 & 1/2 but I think it was Mulligatawny soup with bits of chicken in.
    It was cheaper than you could make it for yourself about 3 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Ah...memories....my favourite laces were The Pilot at the start of Bute Street....(where all the offices are now) and the Ship and Pilot down the docks....great sawdust floor places.......the latter has a new trendy name now I think....there was also another pub on a corner just up from The Pilot...can't remember the name...always packed......
    The Ship was the next one towards west bute st. The big one on the corner of James and bute st's was the mountstuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    The Ship was the next one towards west bute st. The big one on the corner of James and bute st's was the mountstuart.
    I'm sure i remember the ship and pilot. I remember another pub in the docks area the name escapes me maybe something " Down " ??
    All i remember that there wasn't any street lights and we walked across a dusty dark carpark/waste ground to get to it the pub itself was hardly lit.. like an horror film Maybe something " Down " ??
    I used to love a pint in the custom house to there were some great characters in there..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I'm sure i remember the ship and pilot. I remember another pub in the docks area the name escapes me maybe something " Down " ??
    All i remember that there wasn't any street lights and we walked across a dusty dark carpark/waste ground to get to it the pub itself was hardly lit.. like an horror film Maybe something " Down " ??
    I used to love a pint in the custom house to there were some great characters in there..
    Are you thinking of the 'Glendower', it was a short walk from the 'Custom House'?

Just digging into the archives a little, it says that Charlotte Street (just off Bute Street) had 12 pubs along it. Just gives you an idea of how the docklands of Cardiff used to be in its heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    Thats right it was The ACACs I payed for them and The Tredegar pub was my local for about 25 years .
    And as other posters have said it was a mad pub but what memories some mad and fantastic ones probably some of the best times I ever had.
    I must have played against you a few times.I played in the back row for Llanrumney.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Just digging into the archives a little, it says that Charlotte Street (just off Bute Street) had 12 pubs along it. Just gives you an idea of how the docklands of Cardiff used to be in its heyday.
    Charlotte Street

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...-gave-14510395

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The Bertram was a rough place. The 'travelling community' used to get in there a lot, especially around the pool table in the bar.
    Actually, I need to correct myself. It was the 'Locomotive' that I was thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Imagine accidentally stepping on the foot of "Harry Kickup" as you went to the bar to get a beer - or knocking the pint over of "Billy Shortlegs"! lol

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Ship & Pilot was 36 James St on the corner of the street that led to Mount Stuart Square. The Ship Hotel was 10 James Street on the corner of Ship Lane in direction of Bute Street. The only 'down' I could find was the Loundoun Hotel on Bute Street. There were once 30 or more pubs along Bute Street. Some pub crawl!

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I must have played against you a few times.I played in the back row for Llanrumney.
    Yes I played with Joey Lear in the 2nd row.I remember the games between us were always a tight affair with not much in it as both sides were pretty much equal. A good rival game with respect given from both sides.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Oops

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I played for the CIACs in the 70s

Long time ago now

Quote Originally Posted by Xmarksplott View Post
    Yes I played with Joey Lear in the 2nd row.I remember the games between us were always a tight affair with not much in it as both sides were pretty much equal. A good rival game with respect given from both sides.
    Yes they were, good times. I played for the seconds in later years as the old body wasn't up to it. Wish i could turn back the years. Joey ended up playing for us as captain. What a character he was, as for a few of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I played for the CIACs in the 70s

Long time ago now
    Was it Tiger who played on the wing? Fed ud up of chasing him.

Was it Tiger who played on the wing? Fed ud up of chasing him.
    Ya, Terry Board (spelling) always laughing

Here's a fact for you,Llanrumney does not have a public house
    Another fact is Ely doesn’t have a public house

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    Bloody hell,i never knew that. Where they all gone?

Quote Originally Posted by beakerboyblue View Post
    Coopers on Cowbridge Road

The Bridge Inn

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    My Mrs said there used to be a pub on East Moors Rd opposite the pools office.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Don’t think it was there as that was the timber yard it was the other side of the timber yard in Sanquhar Street

The Bridge Inn
    My bad, for bridge inn, read COACH HOUSE

THE HIGHFIELDS as well, being pedantic

The Bridge Inn
    Not in Ely beyond Cowbridge Rd