Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: help with the name of a pub

Re: help with the name of a pub

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    and neither does Splott
    Is the Cottage shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Talking about East Tyndall street remined me about the shift changes in the steel works. They worked 2 till 10, 10 till 06, and 06 till 2, then 2 days off, what was called continental shifts and handover takeover was on the job so production was seemless. That meant that meb coming off the 10 PM finishing shift wouldn't get to the pub before last orders so every shift had a deal whereby the people coming on for 10 would come on at 9.30 to give the guys going home a chance to get to the pub. After 8 hours in there you needed a drink.
    Local pubs like the Ruperra and the Cardiff Arms would have beers pulled and lined up on the bar at 10 PM ready for the guys coming off shift en-masse. A pub would be empty at 9.55 and rammed at 10. 05. lol
    I worked for Allied Steel and Wire from 1987 to 1996. I worked with some people who were veterans of East Moors steel works, they would talk about those days.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Yes and the bookies around the corner. Used to go outside the pub as a kid when there was a wedding and wait for them to throw money from upstairs.Great days.
    That just jogged my memory,scramblering around and some time scuffles for the money.

I worked for Allied Steel and Wire from 1987 to 1996. I worked with some people who were veterans of East Moors steel works, they would talk about those days.
    Good times. I worked in rod mill eastmoors 74-75 and the new rod mill in 76

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    That just jogged my memory,scramblering around and some time scuffles for the money.
    It was training for when you were old enough to go in the pub

Is the Cottage shut down?
    I don't think it is, but Tony Bluetit often used to say "there are no pubs in Splott", may be he doesn't count the Cottage as Splott

International

I don't think it is, but Tony Bluetit often used to say "there are no pubs in Splott", may be he doesn't count the Cottage as Splott
    Splott is over splott Bridge,The cottage is what they now call lower Roath, but was a kind of no mans land bewtween roath ans the railway line which is the Splott Border.
    Of course in true Cardiff Tradition the Splotland pub was in Adamstown lol

Good times. I worked in rod mill eastmoors 74-75 and the new rod mill in 76
    I joined on a management training scheme so got to work in Cardiff Rod Mill, Castle Wire, Somerset Wire, Cardiff Carbides, Cardiff Bar and Sections, Tremorfa Steel Works. I remember visiting the nail factory but don't think I ever worked there..there were a few other units on the Tremorfa site and in Sheffield and Scunthorpe that I got to visit

International

I joined on a management training scheme so got to work in Cardiff Rod Mill, Castle Wire, Somerset Wire, Cardiff Carbides, Cardiff Bar and Sections, Tremorfa Steel Works. I remember visiting the nail factory but don't think I ever worked there..there were a few other units on the Tremorfa site and in Sheffield and Scunthorpe that I got to visit
    There were 2 weren't there? GKIS on East Moors, and GKN just under Splott bridge by the park. I thought that was where the nails and wire were made.

I’ll let “Splott Parker” explain this one, as no one takes notice of me

But it’s not in Splott

There were 2 weren't there? GKIS on East Moors, and GKN just under Splott bridge by the park. I thought that was where the nails and wire were made.

I did about a year in GKN, by Splott Park, on the wheel trims. Straight out into the Grosvenor

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I’ll let “Splott Parker” explain this one, as no one takes notice of me

But it’s not in Splott
    I take notice of you, it's how I know there are no pubs in splott

I did about a year in GKN, by Splott Park, on the wheel trims. Straight out into the Grosvenor
    So you were a trimmer in the Rod mill

In my time at ASW there was Castle Wire on the East Moors site and Somerset Wire and the nail factory on the Tremorfa site

International

its only when you know a little of the history that you begin to understand why places like that and the Ruperra were so big. People using them just before they closed must have wondered why they were so big and empty.
    There's a very good historical reason why the Landsdown was such a huge building just for up pub, too.

So you were a trimmer in the Rod mill
    If a trimmer was taking the hot metal off the beds, then yes.

I only went there as I finished on a site and there was not a lot out there, so my brother got me in.

Great money, but lousy hours, especially 2 till 10. Sun beaming down and you’re going to work. Not for me

If a trimmer was taking the hot metal off the beds, then yes.

I only went there as I finished on a site and there was not a lot out there, so my brother got me in.

Great money, but lousy hours, especially 2 till 10. Sun beaming down and you’re going to work. Not for me
    No, a trimmer was the ones in the rod mill where they took a cut off the coils for testing. It sounds to me like you were in the next mill called the 9 and 12

As a student, I lived for a year on Pearl Street.
    Can someone remind me of the name of the pub at the bottom of Clifton Street
    ..... and the late night / after hours cafe further up the road ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    Which end.You had the Splotlands one end and the Tredegar the other.Both shut down now.

Pub was the Tredegar

Welsh Brewers pub, sold Hancocks, name escapes me.

The restaurant was the Patrice (spelling)

Which end.You had the Splotlands one end and the Tredegar the other.Both shut down now.

The Clifton is on the other end, still open

The restaurant was the Patrice (spelling)
    Restaurant ??? Your'e having a laugh.You ever been in there. It was worse than the tred. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Pub was the Tredegar
    For years after that place had closed there were squatters in there, nobody seemed bothered though. The pub was as rough as ****, i remember going in there in my early twenties and there was a bloke in there sawing one of the tables in half, when i asked someone why he was doing it the reply was 'Because he's ****ing mad' suppose it made perfect sense at the time

The restaurant was the Patrice
    (spelling)
    Best eater in the diff in its era, mixed grill and a mountain of skinny chips rough as fk, cheap as chips, what more could you want after a session in Monty's if you hadn't pulled (I was always in the Patrice) !!!!