+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City will play in red next season

Re: Cardiff City will play in red next season

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Birmingham, Blackpool and West Ham went down the following season. That's two big clubs, and the West Ham team on paper was strong. Brum and Blackpool both got to 39 points.

So yeah, I think we would have found it a struggle.
    Very possibly. When DJ was at Southampton they'd surprise teams and have a good run before falling apart for awhile (it's the DJ way). They stayed up though. Part of Tan's nonsense was that we needed the luck of the red to get promoted but that would've been negated by beating Blackpool. Of course he could've found some other bunch of bollocks to justify his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In your initial post you said: "A certain member of the Trust who had been at the meeting where everyone swore to keep silence until the club could do it officially didn't keep to his word."

I don't know what meeting you're referring to, but nobody from the Trust was involved. If memory serves, some of the officials from the Supporters' Club got to know about the re-brand before anyone else.

The first I heard of it was on the bus travelling home from the West Ham game. I thought it was a wind-up. Indeed, I actually threatened to stop the bus and chuck Heathblue off if he kept talking about what seemed to be a load of nonsense. However, shortly before we arrived home I got a text from a friend who was very well-connected at the club and he told me that while not all of the post that had appeared on here was true, most of it was. My heart sank.

The following morning I got a call from stadium manager Wayne Nash asking me to attend an urgent meeting with club officials later that day. That's when things got real. Red shirts, no Bluebird on the badge, fire and passion, various promises which never came to fruition, all that bollocks. Strange times indeed.

Three key elements of the re-brand 'package' were Langston to be paid off within days (that went well), a debt-free club (that went well) and a new training ground (whatever happened to that?).

Time is a great healer and the fact that Tan barely shows his face at the club anymore is a plus-point, but plenty of the fans who stopped going to games due to the re-brand have never returned (including some of this board's best contributors), while others who were previously staunch supporters no longer feel the same about the club.

For me, the worst aspect of the re-brand and the reason why I'll never be able to forgive Tan for what he did is that a number of good friends have gone to their graves in recent years having either lost their love for Cardiff City completely or having lost much of their enthusiasm for the club. These were all people I met and became friends with because of the football, and who had previously been staunch supporters for most of their lives. That's something that can never be undone.

The whole thing was so completely and utterly pointless, but I guess we can look back at it as an experience and it certainly changed a lot of lives, in many cases for the better.
    Your last 2 paragraphs are really well said 👍

It was a bad time , this virus is far worse but I terms of something that at the time and for many still does , affect so much of our lives , it was awful

All those trips getting up at silly o clock , those replica shirts , bluebird pin badges given a knowing nod from a fellow bluebird , standing in the pissing wet , getting to Wembley, friendships built etc etc

Then that news which divided the club , let to people I thought were like me saying it's his club , he can do what he wants , if he gets us to the premiership , it's only a badge , it's only a colour

Then the aftermath of threats, intimidation

And then the decision , which I fully respect , to say that's it , I am done

It's a long time ago now and he has admitted it was a mistake

But I wish he would get rid of that silly little dragon at the bottom of the badge , it's like hes apologising but still wants to prove a point

A sort of soft handshake

Like many others, I was at the West-ham game, I believe news broke just on the final whistle, as I was still in the stadium walking towards the bus and the gossip started spreading. I think It was when on the bus I came onto here and read the post.

I had a different user name then, but I was massively against it, I honestly wanted league 2 football over a promotion in red.

I attended Bluebirds Unite meetings, and on the night of the red scarfs I remember trying to help organise a protest on here and Facebook where we would take a scarf and throw it on the pitch at 19mins

I had thousands of followers on the Facebook group and felt so positive that it was going to be a massive moment, a visual display of the silent majority rebelling against the red, i thought it would be a massive domino effect, and even hoped the game would have to be paused to clear the pitch, making the impact even greater.

At 19 mins I was the only one in the grandstand I recall walking towards the front, i threw it on looked around to see 2-3 people in the Canton do the same, I stood there for a second and some guy in the first row called me a twat.

That was my last game as a die hard, up till then Cardiff was my life, I would never miss a game home or away, family holidays would be planned around pre-season tours, it meant so much to me and I lost it.

Looking back it was probably a good thing, I had previously made decisions because of Cardiff like to go to University in Cardiff just because of the footy, so never got to experience a proper uni moving away life ect.

after that season, i went 3 years without a season ticket, in that time I moved to the USA for 1 year, traveled the world for 6 months with friends. and did 2 working ski seasons.

I am now back and a season ticket holder, purely because of Neil Warnock, and enjoy attending
    but It still hurts never having that unmitigated feeling of connection again with my local club, like loosing faith in a religion, must be a horrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    To my knowledge, he has never admitted it was a mistake and he's never apologised for it either.

To my knowledge, he has never admitted it was a mistake and he's never apologised for it either.
    Didn't he say that his mother had made him see the error of his ways, or something similar? Or at least alluded to something like that happening

A lot of people dont like admitting they made a mistake , I seem to remember tan saying he had listened to his mother and she said he should change back or something like that

I am afraid that's as good as we will get

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Like many others, I was at the West-ham game, I believe news broke just on the final whistle, as I was still in the stadium walking towards the bus and the gossip started spreading. I think It was when on the bus I came onto here and read the post.

I had a different user name then, but I was massively against it, I honestly wanted league 2 football over a promotion in red.

I attended Bluebirds Unite meetings, and on the night of the red scarfs I remember trying to help organise a protest on here and Facebook where we would take a scarf and throw it on the pitch at 19mins

I had thousands of followers on the Facebook group and felt so positive that it was going to be a massive moment, a visual display of the silent majority rebelling against the red, i thought it would be a massive domino effect, and even hoped the game would have to be paused to clear the pitch, making the impact even greater.

At 19 mins I was the only one in the grandstand I recall walking towards the front, i threw it on looked around to see 2-3 people in the Canton do the same, I stood there for a second and some guy in the first row called me a twat.

That was my last game as a die hard, up till then Cardiff was my life, I would never miss a game home or away, family holidays would be planned around pre-season tours, it meant so much to me and I lost it.

Looking back it was probably a good thing, I had previously made decisions because of Cardiff like to go to University in Cardiff just because of the footy, so never got to experience a proper uni moving away life ect.

after that season, i went 3 years without a season ticket, in that time I moved to the USA for 1 year, traveled the world for 6 months with friends. and did 2 working ski seasons.

I am now back and a season ticket holder, purely because of Neil Warnock, and enjoy attending
    but It still hurts never having that unmitigated feeling of connection again with my local club, like loosing faith in a religion, must be a horrible thing.
    Do you remember the front cover of the western mail with that formless idiot holding his red scarf high above his head ?

Apparently after the game a lot of the toilets were blocked with red scarves and in the ninian stand toilets a pile of them were collected and set on fire

In your initial post you said: "A certain member of the Trust who had been at the meeting where everyone swore to keep silence until the club could do it officially didn't keep to his word."

I don't know what meeting you're referring to, but nobody from the Trust was involved. If memory serves, some of the officials from the Supporters' Club got to know about the re-brand before anyone else.

The first I heard of it was on the bus travelling home from the West Ham game. I thought it was a wind-up. Indeed, I actually threatened to stop the bus and chuck Heathblue off if he kept talking about what seemed to be a load of nonsense. However, shortly before we arrived home I got a text from a friend who was very well-connected at the club and he told me that while not all of the post that had appeared on here was true, most of it was. My heart sank.

The following morning I got a call from stadium manager Wayne Nash asking me to attend an urgent meeting with club officials later that day. That's when things got real. Red shirts, no Bluebird on the badge, fire and passion, various promises which never came to fruition, all that bollocks. Strange times indeed.

Three key elements of the re-brand 'package' were Langston to be paid off within days (that went well), a debt-free club (that went well) and a new training ground (whatever happened to that?).

Time is a great healer and the fact that Tan barely shows his face at the club anymore is a plus-point, but plenty of the fans who stopped going to games due to the re-brand have never returned (including some of this board's best contributors), while others who were previously staunch supporters no longer feel the same about the club.

For me, the worst aspect of the re-brand and the reason why I'll never be able to forgive Tan for what he did is that a number of good friends have gone to their graves in recent years having either lost their love for Cardiff City completely or having lost much of their enthusiasm for the club. These were all people I met and became friends with because of the football, and who had previously been staunch supporters for most of their lives. That's something that can never be undone.

The whole thing was so completely and utterly pointless, but I guess we can look back at it as an experience and it certainly changed a lot of lives, in many cases for the better.

Well said Dave.

The info.was leaked by a prominent member of the Supporters Club who had been told ahead of that meeting “ in the strictest confidence”. It was certainly nothing to do with the Trust who were represented by a couple of us at that meeting.

A few points still stick with me regarding that meeting.

1. The senior management of the club who ran the meeting were very embarrassed when admitting when pressed that there was no cogent reason for the changes planned other than it was the whim of the man putting his money in- Vincent Tan.They also showed the proposed new club badge whic looked like it had been devised by a 7 year old.Most of those who ran the meeting were subsequently eased out of the club by the new owner.

2. There was at least one “plant” in the invited audience in a vain attempt to support the proposal. This was then followed up by others being encouraged by the club to dissuade fans from objecting to the plan. They did so by a series of threats of violence at meetings and elsewhere.

3. It took years to minimise/ reverse a lot of the damage done to the club and it’s fans by the ridiculous and unnecessary rebranding decision.Although the memory of it has dimmed over time, it will never completely go away as a dark moment in the club’s history.

It was a bad time , this virus is far worse but I terms of something that at the time and for many still does , affect so much of our lives , it was awful

All those trips getting up at silly o clock , those replica shirts , bluebird pin badges given a knowing nod from a fellow bluebird , standing in the pissing wet , getting to Wembley, friendships built etc etc

Then that news which divided the club , let to people I thought were like me saying it's his club , he can do what he wants , if he gets us to the premiership , it's only a badge , it's only a colour

Then the aftermath of threats, intimidation

And then the decision , which I fully respect , to say that's it , I am done

But I wish he would get rid of that silly little dragon at the bottom of the badge , it's like hes apologising but still wants to prove a point

A sort of soft handshake
    I find it quite spiteful. And disrespectful. When we played in red with the dragon badge it was "Fire and Passion". Chinese dragons don't even breathe fire. More of a "**** you" than a soft handshake if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Well said Dave.

The info.was leaked by a prominent member of the Supporters Club who had been told ahead of that meeting “ in the strictest confidence”. It was certainly nothing to do with the Trust who were represented by a couple of us at that meeting.

1. The senior management of the club who ran the meeting were very embarrassed when admitting when pressed that there was no cogent reason for the changes planned other than it was the whim of the man putting his money in- Vincent Tan.They also showed the proposed new club badge whic looked like it had been devised by a 7 year old.Most of those who ran the meeting were subsequently eased out of the club by the new owner.

2. There was at least one “plant” in the invited audience in a vain attempt to support the proposal. This was then followed up by others being encouraged by the club to dissuade fans from objecting to the plan. They did so by a series of threats of violence at meetings and elsewhere.

3. It took years to minimise/ reverse a lot of the damage done to the club and it’s fans by the ridiculous and unnecessary rebranding decision.Although the memory of it has dimmed over time, it will never completely go away as a dark moment in the club’s history.
    Oh there were lots of threats of violence

I had several threatening phonecalls

And the meeting at the muni was nasty

Although those doing the threatening failed to turn up at the next meeting at the corporation when half of the docks and grangetown turned out to provide unofficial security allowing people to speak out against the rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Errr. I think you’ll find it is.
    It isn't. Telling someone that will later become public behind closed doors and it leaking out through various sources is the exact opposite of breaking the news.

Oh there were lots of threats of violence

I had several threatening phonecalls

And the meeting at the muni was nasty

Although those doing the threatening failed to turn up at the next meeting at the corporation when half of the docks and grangetown turned out to provide unofficial security allowing people to speak out against the rebranding
    Who else other than ‘big gwyn ‘ (does he even still follow City?!) was doing the threatening??

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Who else other than ‘big gwyn ‘ (does he even still follow City?!) was doing the threatening??
    It wasnt big gwyn who threatened me but it was someone with a south wales valleys accent , he didnt leave his name on my answering machine , which surprised me

Looks like the actual thread has gone.

But the original post is included in a news article I did at the time.

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/new...28/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

What a post that was

Malky Mackay was asked how he would feel if rangers changed to red or green

He bottled it

What a post that was

He bottled it
    It was Celtic, not Rangers 👍

Well said Dave.

So it was either Mark or the guy with the glasses (Clive?) who leaked it then.

In fairness to the guys in that meeting- they did well to sit on it for as long as they did. I don’t recall even a sniff of it on here up until that post.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It isn't. Telling someone that will later become public behind closed doors and it leaking out through various sources is the exact opposite of breaking the news.
    It was Tans crazy idea, and his alone. He was obviously the first person to “break “ the news to the board. It then filters down in dribs and drabs, by nobodies until the official club statement is released.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This is what I remember. I wasn't there. But that's what I remember seeing on here: "the bus home from West Ham". That whole episode really affected me. I was so shocked by how many fans just folded and went along with it. We also lost a lot of loyal and active fans. Many of whom never came back. There were people on here saying "you won't be missed". I miss them. Thankfully, it's a distant memory now. But just recently, seeing clips of Whitts, it still shocked me to see that we were playing home games in red. Especially against teams in blue. So weird.
    You say folded, others, the colour just doesn’t hold such a significant importance

Well said Dave.

I’d describe the deaths of Simon Insole, Emiliano Sala and Peter Whittingham as dark days in the clubs history. The rebrand, as hard as it was for a minority to stomach, could hardly be called dark days.
    The majority of fans took it on the chin and turned up in their thousands to watch the team play in red in arguably the best league in the world.
    Im a Cardifian through and through and have supported the team all my life. I resented the rebrand and didn't buy any of the red clobber, but i didn't resent it enough to take it to my grave, as others seemed to have done. Thats a bit dramatic.
    Ive spent fortunes over the yrs following the club, but **** me, its only a hobby.
    This Pandemic had shown whats really important in life.

What a post that was

He bottled it
    So did Bellamy.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

mike can you check you PM's for me please?? Its important.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    You say folded, others, the colour just doesn’t hold such a significant importance
    I don't want to start this whole thing up again. But how the **** does the colour your football team play in not hold a significant importance? When you look at the Kop is everyone holding up random coloured scarfs? Pink Floyd sang Any Colour You Like. Peter Osgood sang Blue is the Colour. Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Wolves, Arsenal etc would NEVER change their colours. If Bin Salman takes over Newcastle and says "We're going to be the new Man City, including playing in sky blue", how do you think that would go over?