+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    After a suitable period of quiet reflection I can well understand should you indeed have a face down to your arse.

I would too if I had to suffer quite possibly the UK's dopiest nephew.
    You can choose your friends but not your family Morg. Stay safe

After a suitable period of quiet reflection I can well understand should you indeed have a face down to your arse.

I would too if I had to suffer quite possibly the UK's dopiest nephew.
    He's talking about the nephew! That's me!

Organ has made more spectacularly wrong calls this year than anyone I've seen on ccmb, and I include gluey in that.

So for him to call me dopey is a massive relief... Don't know what I'd do if he agreed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He's talking about the nephew! That's me!

Organ has made more spectacularly wrong calls this year than anyone I've seen on ccmb, and I include gluey in that.

So for him to call me dopey is a massive relief... Don't know what I'd do if he agreed with me.
    Have you banged your head, and suddenly forgotten about the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, Obstruction of Justice & the Mueller report, etc?

Maybe you should re-read the masterpiece that is The Donald Trump Thread, where you are the star of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Have you banged your head, and suddenly forgotten about the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, Obstruction of Justice & the Mueller report, etc?

Maybe you should re-read the masterpiece that is The Donald Trump Thread, where you are the star of the show.
    I think he's currently lacking a bit of self esteem, he is currently wondering if he's important enough to be included in the usual suspects, are you going to tell him or me PS, Just for the sake of clarity, he isn't or ever will be, he just doesn't get it!!!

Speaking of masterpieces any sign of that Chinese aircraft carrier arriving off Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Speaking of masterpieces any sign of that Chinese aircraft carrier arriving off Syria

The bad news is 28,131 Britons have died with or from COVID-19.

The good news, which never gets mentioned by corporate media (I can't think why), is that 67,829,449 of us remain, says WHO numbers https://www.worldometers.info/world-...uk-population/

Expressed as a percentage, 99.96% are still kicking.

The bad news is 28,131 Britons have died with or from COVID-19.

The good news, which never gets mentioned by corporate media (I can't think why), is that 67,829,449 of us remain, says WHO numbers https://www.worldometers.info/world-...uk-population/

Expressed as a percentage, 99.96% are still kicking.
    Yes because every other news bulletin in history ends with

‘10 people died today but don’t worry 67,829,439 people remain today.

Tune in tomorrow goodnight’

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

quite

It's an absolutely ridiculous point.

Heart attacks are by far the biggest cause of death, but they don't stop selling the types of food that cause them.

Heart attacks are by far the biggest cause of death, but they don't stop selling the types of food that cause them.
    Also, British abortions are running at over 200K per year. The UK COVID-19 related dead could be replaced seven-fold by applying a one-year moratorium on abortions.

How contagious are Big Macs?

Food doesn't cause heart failure. It's a bit like saying that ladders are responsible for head fractures if you fall of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Food doesn't cause heart failure. It's a bit like saying that ladders are responsible for head fractures if you fall of one.
    You are what you eat.

I was suggesting context is never provided to counter their own narrative of there being a huge health crisis.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons. Sad for those 33 thousand souls, just like the 28K today, but in the scheme of things worthy of an unconcerned yawn and stretch. Worldwide 'fatalities ranged from 1-3m' says this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8027501.stm. Oh, and you'd never guess, they didn't bother with any lockdowns.

I was suggesting context is never provided to counter their own narrative of there being a huge health crisis.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons. Sad for those 33 thousand souls, just like the 28K today, but in the scheme of things worthy of an unconcerned yawn and stretch. Worldwide 'fatalities ranged from 1-3m' says this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8027501.stm. Oh, and you'd never guess, they didn't bother with any lockdowns.
    The death rate from Covid 19 is significant, but as you always say is lower than a lot of other diseases.

What you never acknowledge is that the Covid 19 death rate has been massively suppressed by the social distancing measures, and if allowed to rip would be a lot higher (up to 10x higher depending on which model you prefer); it would overwhelm every health service in the world and ensure many more deaths for non Covid 19 reasons; it would have caused major economic and social disruption regardless of government responses.

You seem to be wedded to the 'herd immunity' response - just let it do its worst, and after 2-3 months many businesses may have coughed their way through the crisis and in the UK 250,000 mainly older people will have died.

That is a view considered and rejected by most policymakers and economic/health advisers around the world - even though they know full well the economic damage that lock-down causes. They have concluded that short term pain and protection of the vulnerable is the right thing to do. You seem to disagree partly on the grounds that the economic self-harm is too severe, but mainly because you want to see more evidence of a New World Order conspiracy playing out (with compliant media) into some depopulated, oligarch controlled, slave society that you have bought into.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The death rate from Covid 19 is significant, but as you always say is lower than a lot of other diseases.

What you never acknowledge is that the Covid 19 death rate has been massively suppressed by the social distancing measures, and if allowed to rip would be a lot higher (up to 10x higher depending on which model you prefer); it would overwhelm every health service in the world and ensure many more deaths for non Covid 19 reasons; it would have caused major economic and social disruption regardless of government responses.

You seem to be wedded to the 'herd immunity' response - just let it do its worst, and after 2-3 months many businesses may have coughed their way through the crisis and in the UK 250,000 mainly older people will have died.

That is a view considered and rejected by most policymakers and economic/health advisers around the world - even though they know full well the economic damage that lock-down causes. They have concluded that short term pain and protection of the vulnerable is the right thing to do. You seem to disagree partly on the grounds that the economic self-harm is too severe, but mainly because you want to see more evidence of a New World Order conspiracy playing out (with compliant media) into some depopulated, oligarch controlled, slave society that you have bought into.
    The bit I highlighted: with all due respect you are merely repeating the line that government and corporate media have repeated ad infinitum which you have accepted as true.

Previous pandemics have been met with the same response, let it infect enough people for herd immunity to kick in. What we are getting this time, for the first time, is what appears to be a let's string out achieving herd immunity for as long as we can and with it wilfully crush small businesses and much of the service industry while we are at it.

You are of course are entitled to a different opinion to mine which is it makes no sense. I'm for allowing people to do what they wish; whether they choose to gather or not let them decide what they believe is best for themselves rather than by government diktat.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons.
    Your attempts to avoid looking idiotic in connection with your Covid-19 conspiracy theories appear to be getting ever more desperate. The bad news for you is that it's way too late for any of that. You've already made a right fool of yourself and your past pronouncements are sounding increasingly ridiculous with every passing day. I'd draw stumps if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Your attempts to avoid looking idiotic in connection with your Covid-19 conspiracy theories appear to be getting ever more desperate. The bad news for you is that it's way too late for any of that. You've already made a right fool of yourself and your past pronouncements are sounding increasingly ridiculous with every passing day. I'd draw stumps if I were you.
    You keep returning to have a nibble. You receive a slapping then come back for more of the same.

Why won't you accept we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy?

I'll save you the trouble of replying which would probably run something like this: Because Icke and everyone like him are crackpots and oddballs.

Yeah, you are that predictable.

Those 'opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy' remarks were made in a speech by John F. Kennedy, the sitting president of the United States, in 1961.

I have very little doubt you had no idea he was a conspiracy theorist at all, never mind one who would be considered at the most extreme loon level by those like you who'd prefer to keep faith in their carefully crafted but mostly bullshit reality. You and they will have a hard time dismissing the words of someone of his stature.

Forward to the 9:55 mark at what's below.

Just viewed Johnson's COVID-19 press conference from April 30th and must say what a shambolic, bumbling performance. The bit where he said he could confirm for the first time that we are past the peak stood out. That same consensus had been very widely reached for weeks before that the peak was passed on April 8th. It certainly adds to the theory the lockdown conditions will be prolonged for as long as possible.

This BBC article caught my interest yesterday: Government pays nearly quarter of worker wages https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52539203

It says the state's paying 80% of the wages of 6.3 million furloughed workers. It's also paying 1.8 million new Universal Credit claimants. It quotes Sunak claiming it's "not sustainable".

But it is because in late March he visited the Bank of England to exit the building with £210 billion in new QE for him to spend which was created from nothing whatsoever.

This is the BoE webpage https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...itative-easing which confirms Rishi's windfall and that the total QE magicked into existence since 2009 stands at £645 billion.

Pasted below is Sunak's March 17th statement where he repeated parrot-like the words "whatever it takes" for anyone who's half awake to understand he's prepared to reduce the purchasing power of the pound to that of a Banana Republic's currency to delay for as long as possible what will be a total economic collapse. It seems roaring inflation will appear first in food prices and is likely the reason Universal Credit claimants have been handed a £20 per week benefit increase for the next year as it's they and other people on a small income who will feel the pain most and be first to turn to criminality to feed themselves and families.

Rishi Sunak: we will do whatever it takes to support the economy during the crisis:-

The coronavirus pandemic is a public health emergency. But it is also an economic emergency. We have never, in peacetime, faced an economic fight like this one.

I know that people are deeply worried. I know that people’s anxiety about the disease itself is matched only by their anxiety about their livelihoods.

Last week, I set out an initial economic response in the Budget.

I promised to do whatever it takes to support our economy through this crisis – and that if the situation changed, I would not hesitate to take further action. That is what I want to begin doing today.

This struggle will not be overcome by a single package of measures, or isolated interventions. It will be won through a collective national effort. Every one of us, doing all we can to protect families, neighbours, friends, jobs.

This national effort will be underpinned by government interventions in the economy on a scale unimaginable only a few weeks ago. This is not a time for ideology and orthodoxy. This is a time to be bold. A time for courage.

I want to reassure every British citizen, this government will give you all the tools you need to get through this.

We will support jobs, we will support incomes, we will support businesses, and we will help you protect your loved ones. We will do whatever it takes.

In the Budget last week, I set out the first stage of our economic response with a £30 billion package of support for people and businesses.

But I also said in the Budget that as the situation evolves, we would take further action.

And as the Prime Minister set out yesterday, we’re now approaching the fast growth part of the upwards curve. He has set out the next stage of our public health response.

So I wanted to update everyone on the next stage of our economic response.

First, the government will stand behind businesses small and large.

I can announce today an unprecedented package of government-backed and guaranteed loans to support businesses to get through this.

Today, I am making available an initial £330 billion of guarantees – equivalent to 15% of our GDP.

That means any business who needs access to cash to pay their rent, the salaries, suppliers, or purchase stock, will be able to access a government-backed loan, on attractive terms.

And if demand is greater than the initial £330 billion I’m making available today, I will go further and provide as much capacity as required.

I said whatever it takes –and I meant it.

That support will be delivered through two main schemes:

to support liquidity amongst larger firms, I have today agreed a new lending facility with the Governor of the Bank of England to provide low cost, easily accessible commercial paper

to support lending to small and medium sized businesses, I am extending the new Business Interruption Loan Scheme I announced at the Budget last week, so that rather than loans of £1.2 million, it will now provide loans of up to £5 million, with no interest due for the first six months

Both of these schemes will be up and running by the start of next week.

And I am also taking a new legal power in the Covid Bill to offer whatever further financial support I decide is necessary.

Some sectors are facing particularly acute challenges. In the coming days, my colleague the Secretary of State for Transport and I will discuss a potential support package for specifically airlines and airports.

And yesterday, I asked my Cabinet colleagues to urgently convene meetings over the coming days with business leaders and representatives in the most affected sectors, to identify other specific opportunities to support them and their industries, including possible regulatory forbearance.

I repeat: we will do whatever it takes.

Second, as well as access to finance, businesses need support with their cashflow and fixed costs.

Following the changed medical advice yesterday, there are concerns about the impact on pubs, clubs, theatres and other hospitality, leisure and retail venues.

Let me confirm that, for those businesses which do have a policy that covers pandemics, the government’s action is sufficient and will allow businesses to make an insurance claim against their policy.

But many of those businesses don’t have insurance – so we will go further.

I announced last week that for businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors, with a rateable value of less than £51,000, they will pay no business rates this year.

Today, I can go further and provide those businesses with an additional cash grant of up to £25,000 per business – to help bridge through this period.

Additionally, I also am today extending the business rates holiday to all businesses in those sectors, irrespective of their rateable value.

That means every single shop, pub, theatre, music venue, restaurant - and any other business in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector – will pay no business rates whatsoever for 12 months, and if they have a rateable value of less than £51,000, they can now get a cash grant as well.

I also announced last week that we would be providing £3,000 cash grants to the 700,000 of our smallest businesses.

In light of the new circumstances, and to support their cash flow, today I can increase those grants to £10,000.

Taken together, on top of the unlimited lending capacity I have already announced, this is a package of tax cuts and grants, in this financial year, worth more than £20 billion.

That comes on top of the existing multi-billion-pound package I set out at Budget, which included reimbursing small and medium sized companies for the cost of statutory sick pay.

Local authorities in England will be fully compensated for the costs of these measures, and the devolved administrations will receive at least £3.5 billion in additional funding as a result to provide support to businesses in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I repeat again: we will do whatever it takes.

Third, I will strengthen our support for peoples and individuals.

At Budget last week, I committed £1 billion to support the financial security of vulnerable people, through a half billion boost to the welfare system, and a half billion pound Hardship Fund for Local Authorities.

Following discussions with industry today, I can announce that for those in difficulty due to coronavirus, mortgage lenders will offer at least a three month mortgage holiday – so that people will not have to pay a penny towards their mortgage while they get back on their feet.

And in the coming days, I will go much further to support people’s financial security. In particular, I will work with trade unions and business groups to urgently develop new forms of employment support to help protect people’s jobs and incomes through this period.

Pasted below is Sunak's March 17th statement where he repeated parrot-like the words "whatever it takes" for anyone who's half awake to understand he's prepared to reduce the purchasing power of the pound to that of a Banana Republic's currency to delay for as long as possible what will be a total economic collapse. It seems roaring inflation will appear first in food prices and is likely the reason Universal Credit claimants have been handed a £20 per week benefit increase for the next year as it's they and other people on a small income who will feel the pain most and be first to turn to criminality to feed themselves and families.

Rishi Sunak: we will do whatever it takes to support the economy during the crisis:-

The coronavirus pandemic is a public health emergency. But it is also an economic emergency. We have never, in peacetime, faced an economic fight like this one.

I know that people are deeply worried. I know that people’s anxiety about the disease itself is matched only by their anxiety about their livelihoods.

Last week, I set out an initial economic response in the Budget.

I promised to do whatever it takes to support our economy through this crisis – and that if the situation changed, I would not hesitate to take further action. That is what I want to begin doing today.

This struggle will not be overcome by a single package of measures, or isolated interventions. It will be won through a collective national effort. Every one of us, doing all we can to protect families, neighbours, friends, jobs.

This national effort will be underpinned by government interventions in the economy on a scale unimaginable only a few weeks ago. This is not a time for ideology and orthodoxy. This is a time to be bold. A time for courage.

I want to reassure every British citizen, this government will give you all the tools you need to get through this.

We will support jobs, we will support incomes, we will support businesses, and we will help you protect your loved ones. We will do whatever it takes.

In the Budget last week, I set out the first stage of our economic response with a £30 billion package of support for people and businesses.

But I also said in the Budget that as the situation evolves, we would take further action.

And as the Prime Minister set out yesterday, we’re now approaching the fast growth part of the upwards curve. He has set out the next stage of our public health response.

So I wanted to update everyone on the next stage of our economic response.

First, the government will stand behind businesses small and large.

I can announce today an unprecedented package of government-backed and guaranteed loans to support businesses to get through this.

Today, I am making available an initial £330 billion of guarantees – equivalent to 15% of our GDP.

That means any business who needs access to cash to pay their rent, the salaries, suppliers, or purchase stock, will be able to access a government-backed loan, on attractive terms.

And if demand is greater than the initial £330 billion I’m making available today, I will go further and provide as much capacity as required.

I said whatever it takes –and I meant it.

That support will be delivered through two main schemes:

to support liquidity amongst larger firms, I have today agreed a new lending facility with the Governor of the Bank of England to provide low cost, easily accessible commercial paper

to support lending to small and medium sized businesses, I am extending the new Business Interruption Loan Scheme I announced at the Budget last week, so that rather than loans of £1.2 million, it will now provide loans of up to £5 million, with no interest due for the first six months

Both of these schemes will be up and running by the start of next week.

And I am also taking a new legal power in the Covid Bill to offer whatever further financial support I decide is necessary.

Some sectors are facing particularly acute challenges. In the coming days, my colleague the Secretary of State for Transport and I will discuss a potential support package for specifically airlines and airports.

And yesterday, I asked my Cabinet colleagues to urgently convene meetings over the coming days with business leaders and representatives in the most affected sectors, to identify other specific opportunities to support them and their industries, including possible regulatory forbearance.

I repeat: we will do whatever it takes.

Second, as well as access to finance, businesses need support with their cashflow and fixed costs.

Following the changed medical advice yesterday, there are concerns about the impact on pubs, clubs, theatres and other hospitality, leisure and retail venues.

Let me confirm that, for those businesses which do have a policy that covers pandemics, the government’s action is sufficient and will allow businesses to make an insurance claim against their policy.

But many of those businesses don’t have insurance – so we will go further.

I announced last week that for businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors, with a rateable value of less than £51,000, they will pay no business rates this year.

Today, I can go further and provide those businesses with an additional cash grant of up to £25,000 per business – to help bridge through this period.

Additionally, I also am today extending the business rates holiday to all businesses in those sectors, irrespective of their rateable value.

That means every single shop, pub, theatre, music venue, restaurant - and any other business in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector – will pay no business rates whatsoever for 12 months, and if they have a rateable value of less than £51,000, they can now get a cash grant as well.

I also announced last week that we would be providing £3,000 cash grants to the 700,000 of our smallest businesses.

In light of the new circumstances, and to support their cash flow, today I can increase those grants to £10,000.

Taken together, on top of the unlimited lending capacity I have already announced, this is a package of tax cuts and grants, in this financial year, worth more than £20 billion.

That comes on top of the existing multi-billion-pound package I set out at Budget, which included reimbursing small and medium sized companies for the cost of statutory sick pay.

Local authorities in England will be fully compensated for the costs of these measures, and the devolved administrations will receive at least £3.5 billion in additional funding as a result to provide support to businesses in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I repeat again: we will do whatever it takes.

Third, I will strengthen our support for peoples and individuals.

At Budget last week, I committed £1 billion to support the financial security of vulnerable people, through a half billion boost to the welfare system, and a half billion pound Hardship Fund for Local Authorities.

Following discussions with industry today, I can announce that for those in difficulty due to coronavirus, mortgage lenders will offer at least a three month mortgage holiday – so that people will not have to pay a penny towards their mortgage while they get back on their feet.

And in the coming days, I will go much further to support people’s financial security. In particular, I will work with trade unions and business groups to urgently develop new forms of employment support to help protect people’s jobs and incomes through this period.

I asked this on another thread but you probably missed it:

FAO Organ Morgan:

In respect of the Coronavirus situation: what made you change your suspicion from the Chinese government possibly infecting its own population to kill off the elderly to the New World Order theory?

It struck me that it was a relatively mild new virus and the purpose of them shutting down large areas of their economy and locking down 600M+ of their citizens to limit deaths to 4K was designed to allow a great many other countries to do similar in order to imitate China's success.

I'd love to know what the punchline to all this business is.

It struck me that it was a relatively mild new virus and the purpose of them shutting down large areas of their economy and locking down 600M+ of their citizens to limit deaths to 4K was designed to allow a great many other countries to do similar in order to imitate China's success.

I'd love to know what the punchline to all this business is.
    But that ignores your initial suspicion that it was to cull the elderly Chinese by their own government, doesn't it?