+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Re: Lives vs. livelihoods & a gutted UK economy

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think that's one of biggest social benefits ever seen , its incredible it came from the Tories and even matched with other social minded countries its pretty impressive.
    I'm sure I read recently that Universal Credit claimants had been awarded £20 per week extra for a year and that equals a 25%+ rise on the basic allowance of a single person. Yes, Tories shovelling dough towards benefit claimants (gasps all round).

For a decade or more the government pretended it hadn't a pot to piss in. In 2017 Prime Minister May said "there's no magic money tree" in response to a nurse who asked why she hadn't received a pay rise in eight years. Well, there was and is a magic money tree (called QE) that when she spoke had gifted 434 billion pounds free of any charges to government and Sunak will be raiding that same magic money tree over and over in the months and years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I get the sense that when Morg looks in his fishing net in the morning he might be a little disappointed with the catch!
    I have the impression you walk around with a glum expression, Cyril. Stand up straight, stomach in, chest out to laugh in the face of adversity. It's the British way.

After a suitable period of quiet reflection I can well understand should you indeed have a face down to your arse.

I would too if I had to suffer quite possibly the UK's dopiest nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    After a suitable period of quiet reflection I can well understand should you indeed have a face down to your arse.

You can choose your friends but not your family Morg. Stay safe

He's talking about the nephew! That's me!

Organ has made more spectacularly wrong calls this year than anyone I've seen on ccmb, and I include gluey in that.

So for him to call me dopey is a massive relief... Don't know what I'd do if he agreed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He's talking about the nephew! That's me!

Organ has made more spectacularly wrong calls this year than anyone I've seen on ccmb, and I include gluey in that.

So for him to call me dopey is a massive relief... Don't know what I'd do if he agreed with me.
    Have you banged your head, and suddenly forgotten about the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, Obstruction of Justice & the Mueller report, etc?

Maybe you should re-read the masterpiece that is The Donald Trump Thread, where you are the star of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Have you banged your head, and suddenly forgotten about the Steele dossier, Russia collusion, Obstruction of Justice & the Mueller report, etc?

Maybe you should re-read the masterpiece that is The Donald Trump Thread, where you are the star of the show.
    I think he's currently lacking a bit of self esteem, he is currently wondering if he's important enough to be included in the usual suspects, are you going to tell him or me PS, Just for the sake of clarity, he isn't or ever will be, he just doesn't get it!!!

Speaking of masterpieces any sign of that Chinese aircraft carrier arriving off Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Speaking of masterpieces any sign of that Chinese aircraft carrier arriving off Syria

The bad news is 28,131 Britons have died with or from COVID-19.

The good news, which never gets mentioned by corporate media (I can't think why), is that 67,829,449 of us remain, says WHO numbers https://www.worldometers.info/world-...uk-population/

Expressed as a percentage, 99.96% are still kicking.

The bad news is 28,131 Britons have died with or from COVID-19.

The good news, which never gets mentioned by corporate media (I can't think why), is that 67,829,449 of us remain, says WHO numbers https://www.worldometers.info/world-...uk-population/

Expressed as a percentage, 99.96% are still kicking.
    Yes because every other news bulletin in history ends with

‘10 people died today but don’t worry 67,829,439 people remain today.

Tune in tomorrow goodnight’

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

quite

It's an absolutely ridiculous point.

Heart attacks are by far the biggest cause of death, but they don't stop selling the types of food that cause them.

I was suggesting context is never provided to counter their own narrative of there being a huge health crisis.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons. Sad for those 33 thousand souls, just like the 28K today, but in the scheme of things worthy of an unconcerned yawn and stretch. Worldwide 'fatalities ranged from 1-3m' says this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8027501.stm. Oh, and you'd never guess, they didn't bother with any lockdowns.

Heart attacks are by far the biggest cause of death, but they don't stop selling the types of food that cause them.
    Also, British abortions are running at over 200K per year. The UK COVID-19 related dead could be replaced seven-fold by applying a one-year moratorium on abortions.

How contagious are Big Macs?

I was suggesting context is never provided to counter their own narrative of there being a huge health crisis.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons. Sad for those 33 thousand souls, just like the 28K today, but in the scheme of things worthy of an unconcerned yawn and stretch. Worldwide 'fatalities ranged from 1-3m' says this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8027501.stm. Oh, and you'd never guess, they didn't bother with any lockdowns.
    The death rate from Covid 19 is significant, but as you always say is lower than a lot of other diseases.

What you never acknowledge is that the Covid 19 death rate has been massively suppressed by the social distancing measures, and if allowed to rip would be a lot higher (up to 10x higher depending on which model you prefer); it would overwhelm every health service in the world and ensure many more deaths for non Covid 19 reasons; it would have caused major economic and social disruption regardless of government responses.

You seem to be wedded to the 'herd immunity' response - just let it do its worst, and after 2-3 months many businesses may have coughed their way through the crisis and in the UK 250,000 mainly older people will have died.

That is a view considered and rejected by most policymakers and economic/health advisers around the world - even though they know full well the economic damage that lock-down causes. They have concluded that short term pain and protection of the vulnerable is the right thing to do. You seem to disagree partly on the grounds that the economic self-harm is too severe, but mainly because you want to see more evidence of a New World Order conspiracy playing out (with compliant media) into some depopulated, oligarch controlled, slave society that you have bought into.

I discovered earlier of a pandemic that hit Blighty that I hadn't knew of previously. It wasn't Spanish Flu of 1918, nor Asian Flu in 1957 but Hong Kong Flu of 1968/1969 that killed 33K Britons.
    Your attempts to avoid looking idiotic in connection with your Covid-19 conspiracy theories appear to be getting ever more desperate. The bad news for you is that it's way too late for any of that. You've already made a right fool of yourself and your past pronouncements are sounding increasingly ridiculous with every passing day. I'd draw stumps if I were you.

Food doesn't cause heart failure. It's a bit like saying that ladders are responsible for head fractures if you fall of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Food doesn't cause heart failure. It's a bit like saying that ladders are responsible for head fractures if you fall of one.
    You are what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Your attempts to avoid looking idiotic in connection with your Covid-19 conspiracy theories appear to be getting ever more desperate. The bad news for you is that it's way too late for any of that. You've already made a right fool of yourself and your past pronouncements are sounding increasingly ridiculous with every passing day. I'd draw stumps if I were you.
    You keep returning to have a nibble. You receive a slapping then come back for more of the same.

Why won't you accept we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy?

I'll save you the trouble of replying which would probably run something like this: Because Icke and everyone like him are crackpots and oddballs.

Yeah, you are that predictable.

Those 'opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy' remarks were made in a speech by John F. Kennedy, the sitting president of the United States, in 1961.

I have very little doubt you had no idea he was a conspiracy theorist at all, never mind one who would be considered at the most extreme loon level by those like you who'd prefer to keep faith in their carefully crafted but mostly bullshit reality. You and they will have a hard time dismissing the words of someone of his stature.

Forward to the 9:55 mark at what's below.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The death rate from Covid 19 is significant, but as you always say is lower than a lot of other diseases.

What you never acknowledge is that the Covid 19 death rate has been massively suppressed by the social distancing measures, and if allowed to rip would be a lot higher (up to 10x higher depending on which model you prefer); it would overwhelm every health service in the world and ensure many more deaths for non Covid 19 reasons; it would have caused major economic and social disruption regardless of government responses.

You seem to be wedded to the 'herd immunity' response - just let it do its worst, and after 2-3 months many businesses may have coughed their way through the crisis and in the UK 250,000 mainly older people will have died.

That is a view considered and rejected by most policymakers and economic/health advisers around the world - even though they know full well the economic damage that lock-down causes. They have concluded that short term pain and protection of the vulnerable is the right thing to do. You seem to disagree partly on the grounds that the economic self-harm is too severe, but mainly because you want to see more evidence of a New World Order conspiracy playing out (with compliant media) into some depopulated, oligarch controlled, slave society that you have bought into.
    The bit I highlighted: with all due respect you are merely repeating the line that government and corporate media have repeated ad infinitum which you have accepted as true.

Previous pandemics have been met with the same response, let it infect enough people for herd immunity to kick in. What we are getting this time, for the first time, is what appears to be a let's string out achieving herd immunity for as long as we can and with it wilfully crush small businesses and much of the service industry while we are at it.

You are of course are entitled to a different opinion to mine which is it makes no sense. I'm for allowing people to do what they wish; whether they choose to gather or not let them decide what they believe is best for themselves rather than by government diktat.

Just viewed Johnson's COVID-19 press conference from April 30th and must say what a shambolic, bumbling performance. The bit where he said he could confirm for the first time that we are past the peak stood out. That same consensus had been very widely reached for weeks before that the peak was passed on April 8th. It certainly adds to the theory the lockdown conditions will be prolonged for as long as possible.

The bit I highlighted: with all due respect you are merely repeating the line that government and corporate media have repeated ad infinitum which you have accepted as true.

Previous pandemics have been met with the same response, let it infect enough people for herd immunity to kick in. What we are getting this time, for the first time, is what appears to be a let's string out achieving herd immunity for as long as we can and with it wilfully crush small businesses and much of the service industry while we are at it.

You are of course are entitled to a different opinion to mine which is it makes no sense. I'm for allowing people to do what they wish; whether they choose to gather or not let them decide what they believe is best for themselves rather than by government diktat.
    You are right - I have accepted that social distancing has reduced the virus spread and saved lives. I accept there could be a counter argument if those places that didn't introduce it (Sweden, Belarus... have they stuck with the herd strategy?) show no greater levels of infection than the rest of the world - but I don't think you have made that case.

Your third paragraph is basically an argument in favour of drink driving! Libertarianism at its' most selfish and dangerous.

You keep returning to have a nibble. You receive a slapping then come back for more of the same.

Why won't you accept we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy?

Those remarks were made in a speech by John F. Kennedy, the sitting president of the United States, in 1961.

I have very little doubt you had no idea he was a conspiracy theorist at all, never mind one who would be considered at the most extreme loon level by those like you who'd prefer to keep faith in their carefully crafted but mostly bullshit reality. You and they will have a hard time dismissing the words of someone of his stature.
    Good grief.....

You know that JFK gave this address to the press association just a week after the Bay of Pigs affair, right? You know he highlighted that at the beginning of his speech when he said: "I want to talk about our common responsibilities in the face of a common danger. The events of recent weeks may have helped to illuminate that challenge for some, but the dimensions of its threat have loomed large on the horizon for many years."

You know he was talking about the Soviets and communism in general, right?

So let me get this straight - in order to defend your ever-more ludicrous position on Covid-19, ie: that it is a global conspiracy rather than a global health crisis, you're now relying on quotes from a US President who died in 1963 and whose words you're using completely out of context?

Can you get any more desperate?

I was interested in your assertion that I "receive a slapping then come back for more of the same."

When did this slapping occur, pray tell? I must have missed it.

I noted your claim Covid-19 is just the flu, which it isn't. I recall your suggestion that the virus only kills Asian people, which it doesn't. I recall your hilarious evidence of a government conspiracy, which turned out to be a guidance document on the Gov.UK website which had been amended a couple of weeks earlier (in my professional capacity, I amended another document on those very web pages this very day, shock horror!). And probably funniest of all, I remember your insane claim that influenza is never described by anyone as a virus, which is absolute balderdash (pardon the pun). But a slapping? I don't recall that at all.

I think you've imagined it, old boy. But then your imagination does seem somewhat fertile, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.