+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales target for 5,000 tests a day abandoned

Re: Wales target for 5,000 tests a day abandoned

Good point. In all honesty we don't have all the facts but governments have been caught out and found wanting in these exceptional times. What irks me is some are very quick to crucify Cardiff Bay in an almost default stance. If they think the crisis is being handled any better here in England ( or Scotland/NI), then tuning in to BBC Midlands, or BBC Scotland etc. should persuade you otherwise.

International

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    If the stuff due for Wales has been taken by England then in theory more stuff needs to be resourced at a time when all and sundry are trying to get the same stuff, if it's true that England has underhandedly taken our stuff then that is where a large proportion of the blame should lie.
    Afew "if's" in there. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride, my old dad used to say.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    Good point. In all honesty we don't have all the facts but governments have been caught out and found wanting in these exceptional times. What irks me is some are very quick to crucify Cardiff Bay in an almost default stance. If they think the crisis is being handled any better here in England ( or Scotland/NI), then tuning in to BBC Midlands, or BBC Scotland etc. should persuade you otherwise.
    As I said in another post, it id not a political thing it is just that governments are never good at detail. They think and do the big things then others have to sort it out. It has ever been so and ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I get embarrassed for Wales whenever Drakeford gives his daily briefing. Day after day he promised increased tests and now a big climbdown. And worse he's called the army in to assist in sorting out what should be a straightforward administrative exercise.
    I am no fan of drakeford despite being a labour voter but the disastrous response to this pandemic goes right through england , scotland and wales

The central blame lies with the conservative government in westminster who should have taken an immediate decision to start getting in supplies for all the countries of the uk , started lockdown a lot earlier etc

At a time of national crisis pissing about with issues like devolved government is a load of arse

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am no fan of drakeford despite being a labour voter but the disastrous response to this pandemic goes right through england , scotland and wales

The central blame lies with the conservative government in westminster who should have taken an immediate decision to start getting in supplies for all the countries of the uk , started lockdown a lot earlier etc

At a time of national crisis pissing about with issues like devolved government is a load of arse
    I agrere with that, but if they had done that ther'd have been a hue and cry from those who loved devolved government howling that the Westminster government was interfering with devolved matters which were none of its concern. Sad as it is sludge, you know it would have happened.
    another no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    As per article:

5,000 a day may have been the headline, a high number of tests may be the solution to allowing life to return to normal but this target being dropped is a distraction from question of why current capacity isn't being used.
    Because they're only testng suspected cases and health workers, not the general population? It seems like the Welsh Government are changing their minds quite often. Gethin has said that the testing target has been dropped due to numbers of cases not being as big as they thought it might be when the announcement for 5000 tests per day were announced. Then he talks about PPE shortage, saying that they're looking at doing a dea with Amazon. It's pretty much the same in England. Wales has tested 26000 people so far according to the article i read.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I get embarrassed for Wales whenever Drakeford gives his daily briefing. Day after day he promised increased tests and now a big climbdown. And worse he's called the army in to assist in sorting out what should be a straightforward administrative exercise.
    Drakeford's an embarrassment full stop. Anyone who makes Nicola Sturgeon seem statesmanlike shouldn't be anywhere near the position he holds. Made himself look a right plum when he jumped the gun with the lockdown announcement last week before the UK briefing. Puffed up with his own importance him and his cronies couldn't even get shielding letters to the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Drakeford's an embarrassment full stop. Anyone who makes Nicola Sturgeon seem statesmanlike shouldn't be anywhere near the position he holds. Made himself look a right plum when he jumped the gun with the lockdown announcement last week before the UK briefing. Puffed up with his own importance him and his cronies couldn't even get shielding letters to the right people.
    To be fair boris has been statesmanlike

Hes run a superb show

Ask anyone in england , they are full of praise for the chap

Tally ho and all that

To be fair, perhaps Drakesford jumped the gun by a day deliberately due to the Bank holiday weekend? Given the shocking numbers crossing the border to Snowdonia etc. the previous weekend ( as well as our own home grown bell ends), trying to emphasise Wales was in lockdown and getting headlines prior to them leaving was a good move in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    LoM, I was being very sarcastic in regards LisvaneBlue compared sourcing and procuring the hundreds of thousands Covid19 tests needed to ordering ky jelly and picking up from Boots.

That said, I’m visiting the local pharmacy later and on very good terms with Jo and I’m going to ask in there if they got any spare.

On a serious note, this pandemic has raised the mechanisms of government (UK and Welsh) in relation to ability to cope in the future. Let’s hope the lessons of this particular learning curve are taken on board.

Oooops sorry .

Keep safe 👍

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who has been MP for the Vale for the last 10 years?
    Errrrrrm.....

Issit a donkey ?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Errrrrrm.....

Issit a donkey ?
    I would never compare a donkey to Alun 'cover-up' Cairns.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    If Labour put forward a donkey (4 legged variety) in S. Wales, it would get elected.
    Did you know that outside of inner london , oxford east is the only labour seat in the south east of england ?

If the tories put forward a donkey in south east england , it would get elected

International

Did you know that outside of inner london , oxford east is the only labour seat in the south east of england ?

If the tories put forward a donkey in south east england , it would get elected
    I'm surpised you said "If" lmao

Just been reading about another Welsh health worry .

Sepsis cases are very high in Wales, didn't realise it was such a killer claiming around 37k a year within the UK .

International

Read last night that about 120-150,000 people in the world die of typhoid every year and between 11 and 20 million catch it. given there has been a vacinne for this for over a century that is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'm surpised you said "If" lmao
    The tory seats in wales have always been marginals , in 2017 alun cairns held onto his vale seat by the skin of his teeth , in 2019 , despite lots of controversy he held on , due in part to the let's get brexit done mantra

International

The tory seats in wales have always been marginals , in 2017 alun cairns held onto his vale seat by the skin of his teeth , in 2019 , despite lots of controversy he held on , due in part to the let's get brexit done mantra
    That isn't what I meant, I'd imagine you think half of the tory MPs in the south of england already are donkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52356767

At least the nightingale hospital is ready.
    Yeh right

"Nurse shortage causes Nightingale hospital to turn away patients'
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That isn't what I meant, I'd imagine you think half of the tory MPs in the south of england already are donkeys.
    I disagree , the vast majority of tory mps in the government , never mind the south east , are donkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    How long do we think the inevitable public inquiry will take?

For what it's worth, I believe the Conservative Government of the UK have made a very poor job of dealing with the virus over the last three months or more, but anyone hoping to make a party political type argument by favourably comparing how the Labour Government in Wales have done with it is taking on a very tough, possibly impossible, task.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    For what it's worth, I believe the Conservative Government of the UK have made a very poor job of dealing with the virus over the last three months or more, but anyone hoping to make a party political type argument by favourably comparing how the Labour Government in Wales have done with it is taking on a very tough, possibly impossible, task.
    Seems like you are making a party political argument. For what it's worth, I believe the Welsh Assembly and Government is better than the Westminster Parliament and Government, but I'm not making a political type argument I'm just responding to your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve said previously, I don’t think any of the UK governments have done well at the handling and management of the crisis. There are a number of factors for that which have all been discussed so I’m not going to go over old ground. What particularly is concerning though is a number of decisions may have been undertaken due to political ideology, laziness and a rather misjudged attitude to any facts presented to them, rather than common sense.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52369916