+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we be able to go another City game in 2020?

Re: Will we be able to go another City game in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You were right in as much as you now realise you shouldn't have made supporting the City, such a big part of your life. Its only a game. You got your fingers emotionally burnt, but you’ve come back a stronger man. Hats off to you for finally realising this. 👍
    Yeah, yeah, but what about the topic in hand? Do you think only people in the public sector will be working in a couple of months' time or, like me, do you think that's a ridiculous notion and Monkfish is being a big drama queen?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I've also noticed a lot more people out and about when I've been making my way home from work (Generally around 10am), a few weeks ago the roads were completely dead, now the traffic is returning to normal-ish levels
    On the days I'm in the office I come into work at 7:00am and leave at about 2:00pm. The traffic is nothing like normal in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It might be a question of “would you WANT to put yourself at risk” !!!!!!

I’m on the fence at the moment, as to if I would want to put myself and my family at risk, for a game of football

It maybe a case of until there is a vaccine, I may not bother
    I am with you on that Tony, not worth the risk for us over 60s. Terry

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    On the days I'm in the office I come into work at 7:00am and leave at about 2:00pm. The traffic is nothing like normal in my experience.
    Its purely anecdotal and I'm not saying its completely like normal, but the levels of traffic are getting worse

Its purely anecdotal and I'm not saying its completely like normal, but the levels of traffic are getting worse
    It’s definitely increased steadily. I’ve been working in Splott and going through the city centre since this began. The first couple of weeks were eerily quiet on the roads and on the streets, but it’s not so quiet now. Still nowhere near normal though, not even remotely close.

I can't see how the social distancing drum could continue to be pounded when allowing some professional footballers to play games but deny amateur teams from doing likewise along with breaking up groups of kids having a kickabout on some waste ground or wherever. Anyone would have a very hard time applying an essential aspect to some games while simultaneously attempting to justify discriminating against everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yeah, yeah, but what about the topic in hand? Do you think only people in the public sector will be working in a couple of months' time or, like me, do you think that's a ridiculous notion and Monkfish is being a big drama queen?
    Im with you on that one.That is a bit of a far fetched notion. The social isolating must be getting to Monkfish. 😁

As others have said, from the information we have at the moment and the mortality rate still high, I think this year would be too much of a risk for me to attend a match and I would strongly urge the family not to either.

I can see in the short term, but perhaps longer term, a scenario whereby Sky, or other/multiple broadcasting companies, showing every football league game live on the telly.
    Management, ball boys/girls and possibly a select few with connections with both clubs invited whilst still obeying social distancing restrictions.
    It could be a nominal price to view the game leading to bumper audiences.
    Advertisers would be tripping over themselves, boosting revenue and help the club's financially.

Edit:
    I should add the players would need checks and clearance on a regular basis.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Same here, Too much risk. In any case I don’t see mass gathering events being sanctioned for a long time. I can’t envisage myself going again until there is a vaccine. If and when there is one it is going to be a long time before it is rolled out to all and sundry. Old buggers like me will be standing at the back of the queue for it.
    i think the opposite. Old buggers like us will be at the front of the queue because the mortality rate for us is higher so there is more potential for us to get it worse and clog up hospital beds. At least I hope so.

thats why old beggers get the flu vaccine too.

International

If they wait until next february they can carry on where the left off and play the last games of the 2019-21 season. Job done!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    i think the opposite. Old buggers like us will be at the front of the queue because the mortality rate for us is higher so there is more potential for us to get it worse and clog up hospital beds. At least I hope so.

thats why old beggers get the flu vaccine too.
    Playing the mindless optimism card are you?

I hope you are right. An alternative view is that priority could be given to those able to keep the economy going plus their children. Who knows ?

I hope you are right. An alternative view is that priority could be given to those able to keep the economy going plus their children. Who knows ?
    As people are entitled to a flu jab at 65 and 70 year olds can get a vaccine for shingles, I reckon he is right.

I'd imagine older people will be first in line, I'd certainly rather older, more at risk people got the vaccine ahead of me

just cancel this season as they have done to alot of grassroot leagues

if only to laugh at Liverpool , come on, you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    just cancel this season as they have done to alot of grassroot leagues

if only to laugh at Liverpool , come on, you know you want to
    And Leeds, don't forget Leeds

[QUOTE=A Quiet Monkfish;5069983]Even if games went ahead I wouldn't pay to watch football behind closed doors, and I doubt 90% would either. No income whatsoever coming in - football clubs - especially top ones - will fold. Spurs have three quarters of a billion pounds of debt to service

With you on this, for me football, without fans, is nothing and I wouldn't mind betting that fans soon switch off if games behind closed doors are televised.

International

Shirley park games and leagues can restart before the leagues, just a few supporters or mums and dads, lots of fresh air about no closeness, and kids less likely to get it bad too.
    And then we could all stroll to the local park and get our fix!!!

And Leeds, don't forget Leeds
    they are just a bonus

There's evidence which suggests that after the 2008 economic crash car usage went up. Combine a new economic crash with the likelihood that people will be far less keen to use public transport until a vaccine is made available, the post lockdown period could be very bad for the environment in terms of car pollution.

Will undermind a lot of hard work put into sustainable transport initiatives and green schemes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If social distancing is still in place then how can footballers, staff, etc avoid contact - one rule for one, one rule for another isn't going to go down well. Secondly, by the end of the year there'll be no sponsorship in football. Even if my 1st point is overcome, no-one is going to pay to watch football played behind closed doors. I doubt any club could pay wages - maybe furlough them at £2500 per month. The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them ?

For those not working - prob 5-6 million, and those furloughed, paying a monthly fee to what pampered players stroll around an empty ground isn't really going to happen either.
    I suspect that the people concerned will get the sort of testing that the rest of the population would quite like applied to Tom, Dick and Harry.

I think a lot of sponsorship deals are on long contracts with retainers - but with Professor Whitty saying we will need social distancing to some extent for the rest of the year, which clubs are going to survive a potential 8 more months with no TV money and no gate money coming in. I think a few owners may be reassessing the sense in investing in a sport that could, at the first sign of a new outbreak, close down for another lengthy period.

I don't quite get the statement that only public sector workers will be working? (As always, it appears everything else you said is ignored as the pack of hounds pounce on this one sentence.)

Even if we get to a stage of saying "the virus is beat", it would be fair to assume that a number of people will have had a significant reappraisal of their lifestyles. Saving money for the next lockdown, staying away from crowds etc.

I have two worst case scenarios that I am preparing for. The first is that we have periods of lockdown for a significant period. In such a scenario, I have little doubt that I will be out of work during the course of the second lockdown (if not this one). The second is that the lockdown is lifted prematurely, putting family members at risk in a second wave. As you can see, going to the pub, a football game, a meal out, going to a packed cinema, a shopping trip, or a holiday abroad etc are all things that are low down in my list of priorities, all things that I would do in the course of a normal month.

Banned

[QUOTE=TERRY BLUE;5070201]
    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Even if games went ahead I wouldn't pay to watch football behind closed doors, and I doubt 90% would either. No income whatsoever coming in - football clubs - especially top ones - will fold. Spurs have three quarters of a billion pounds of debt to service

With you on this, for me football, without fans, is nothing and I wouldn't mind betting that fans soon switch off if games behind closed doors are televised.
    Have you ever watched a game on TV with no crowd? Crap isn't it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Edit:
    I should add the players would need checks and clearance on a regular basis.

Before we have mass testing of fit young men who are basically playing a game, let's hope that we have mass testing of front line workers in the NHS and care homes. My partner works at such a care home, 3 residents have died this week, 2 had suspected covid-19, others now showing symptoms. Number of residents tested:0
    Number of staff tested:0

Partner had symptoms and we were in isolation a few weeks ago. Told to drive 30 miles into Cardiff to get a test. My partner wasn't feeling up to it so, no test.

Banned

We could be behind other countries in the vaccine queue too. It is a global pandemic, not sure why the UK would find it easier to acquire a vaccine than Ghana, the US, China or India.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I suspect that the people concerned will get the sort of testing that the rest of the population would quite like applied to Tom, Dick and Harry.

I think a lot of sponsorship deals are on long contracts with retainers - but with Professor Whitty saying we will need social distancing to some extent for the rest of the year, which clubs are going to survive a potential 8 more months with no TV money and no gate money coming in. I think a few owners may be reassessing the sense in investing in a sport that could, at the first sign of a new outbreak, close down for another lengthy period.

I don't quite get the statement that only public sector workers will be working? (As always, it appears everything else you said is ignored as the pack of hounds pounce on this one sentence.)

Even if we get to a stage of saying "the virus is beat", it would be fair to assume that a number of people will have had a significant reappraisal of their lifestyles. Saving money for the next lockdown, staying away from crowds etc.

I have two worst case scenarios that I am preparing for. The first is that we have periods of lockdown for a significant period. In such a scenario, I have little doubt that I will be out of work during the course of the second lockdown (if not this one). The second is that the lockdown is lifted prematurely, putting family members at risk in a second wave. As you can see, going to the pub, a football game, a meal out, going to a packed cinema, a shopping trip, or a holiday abroad etc are all things that are low down in my list of priorities, all things that I would do in the course of a normal month.
    We're stuck in a vicious catch 22 circle : the deadly consequences of contacting CV19, the awful state the economy and many people's finances are going to be for possibly decades, and the direct effect of the NHS's focus on CV19 on those who are missing out on critical screening and treatment. If ever there was evidence needed that TV money runs football, we've now got it ; whatever scenario, the game must go ahead.

Re. the pack of hounds, for a few, the internet/message board is a opportunity to be aggressive, smart, and be the object of attention - things which they lack in everyday life. If it makes them happy, so be it. It's just fingers on a keyboard at the end of the day..

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Before we have mass testing of fit young men who are basically playing a game, let's hope that we have mass testing of front line workers in the NHS and care homes. My partner works at such a care home, 3 residents have died this week, 2 had suspected covid-19, others now showing symptoms. Number of residents tested:0
    Number of staff tested:0

Partner had symptoms and we were in isolation a few weeks ago. Told to drive 30 miles into Cardiff to get a test. My partner wasn't feeling up to it so, no test.
    Sorry to hear of your predicament.

My comments are in direct response to the OP and of course assuming everybody had access to tests which I'd like to think will be the case long before the end of the year.