+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: In today's Guardian ........ Cambridge vs City (the 8 man backs to the wall game)

In today's Guardian ........ Cambridge vs City (the 8 man backs to the wall game)

Re: In today's Guardian ........ Cambridge vs City (the 8 man backs to the wall game)

The great days ,love this .

I beg all city fans to listen to the link embed in the article , bet you shed a tear

“Elleray must blow up any second. We’re in the third minute of injury time … And it’s all over and Cardiff City celebrate as they draw 0-0 with eight men. A remarkable performance. Cambridge United nil, Cardiff City nil. And we celebrate! We celebrate as if we’ve won the European Champions League! A great day in the history of Cardiff City. And this is emotional … this is emotional here in Cambridge. This is what it’s all about. Cardiff City! The greatest team in the world. Richie Humphries come here my son. And he goes into the City crowd. The man’s a hero. They are all heroes … We are surely the greatest team in the history of football. This is what it’s all about. Man United? No. Chelsea? No. Tottenham? No. Barcelona? No. Real Madrid? No. Cardiff City. That’s what it’s all about!”

Re: In today's Guardian ........ Cambridge vs City (the 8 man backs to the wall game)

Got goose bumps listening to that commentary - it's typically lower league that we were then beaten 4-0 at home in out next match .

I was at that game and the commentary reflected how it felt. Elleray reffed the game as if it were some kind of European game where any kind of physical contact got a yellow, two of which did for Perrett and Middleton. Came out of the ground pumped up as if we had won a cup final. I have this recollection that Richie Humphreys hit the bar with a volley when we were down to 9 men but that could have been me seeing it through misty eyes.

That's a brilliant listen!

Amazing that with all that went on there were only two added minutes, would have been five, six or more now no doubt. Great experience though, great commentary and the greatest team in football what the world has ever seen, nothing better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I was at that game and the commentary reflected how it felt. Elleray reffed the game as if it were some kind of European game where any kind of physical contact got a yellow, two of which did for Perrett and Middleton. Came out of the ground pumped up as if we had won a cup final. I have this recollection that Richie Humphreys hit the bar with a volley when we were down to 9 men but that could have been me seeing it through misty eyes.
    I think he whistled the crossbar with a free-kick? Went close though.

Gallant of Max Rushden to call that his favourite game. We've had some embarrassing results over the years and although I chuckle at them now, I wouldn't say they were anywhere near my favourite moments as a fan.

at the time I was living in Royston..12 miles south of Cambridge.
    I cajoled my ex' brother and 2 of his mates to come with me.
    We stood in the side ..next to the 600 City fans. They couldn't believe the noise our lot were making in the last 20 mins..and to cap it all one of his mates won the £1200 golden goal prize.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    at the time I was living in Royston..12 miles south of Cambridge.
    I cajoled my ex' brother and 2 of his mates to come with me.
    We stood in the side ..next to the 600 City fans. They couldn't believe the noise our lot were making in the last 20 mins..and to cap it all one of his mates won the £1200 golden goal prize.
    Presumably he had the "No score ticket" ?

First Team

I was there that day and sat, as I was inclined to do at the time, in their main stand. Underneath the stand it was possible to get access to the players/officials tunnel as fans exited along a perpendicular tunnel. While surrounded by home fans (mostly of the mature variety I admit) I gave Elleray both barrels questioning his parentage, integrity, xenophobic tendencies and sexuality. I am not proud of my actions but I did it for the City.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Presumably he had the "No score ticket" ?
    ha.. it was just a lucky draw..remember buying the golden goal ticket at City in the early 70s