+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninian Park memories

Ninian Park memories

Today, Saturday April 25th, 2009. Was the last home game at Ninian Park.

It was a shit show, we lost 0-3 and went on to miss out on the play offs when it was nailed on.

But that fail aside what are your best memories of Ninian Park?

Re: Ninian Park memories

Beating Real Madrid.

International

Just being there with my dad in a crowd of 30-40,000, smoke filling the gound, everyone in black/dark clothes wearing hats and the noise!! The wooden rattles!! And the bob bank was just seemingly endless.

Loads, ant they'll come to me as this thread evolves although i'd say the humour, especially that of the gallows type. There were less of us and the fanbase seemed a little more eclectic. We definitely knew how to laugh at ourselves and others as well.

Difficult one this,
    Older times Hereford
    Modern times Leeds
    The legendary Bob bank Shitter
    The Spurs Peter Sayer goal
    and for the reverse laugh, Scot Murray running the length of the pitch after his goal

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

It was a shit show, we lost 0-3 and went on to miss out on the play offs when it was nailed on.

I left that game early thinking I'd be back to say my goodbye to NP in the play offs. Sadly, the rest is history.

My earliest memories go back to 1972. Taken to my first home games by my uncle who passed away last month.

I recall seeing City beat Wycombe in the cup in 73, with my grandfather who passed in the early 80's.

From 76 onwards (aged 10!) i went a lot of times by myself.

Smelly open air toilets, playing football with a tennis ball on the bob bank, watching trains roll into ninian park halt,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

a shocking game and one of the worse cases of couldnt give a fook i have seen by a player, Paul Parry not chasing after a ball, my daughter who was 5 at the time and stood next to me said to me " Dad, why isnt that player running after the ball " i will never forget that, a disgrace to the city shirt

mine must be most of the 92 - 93 season, i really enjoyed that season, ive said it before, everything fell into place for me, good mates who loved a laugh and had your back, oh and they had a hotdog roll thing, a french baguette ( or close to it ) with a hole down the center with some sauce and then the hotdog slide in, they were lovely at the time

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Wales v Yugoslavia doesn’t get much of a mention these days but it was mental in the Grange End. The wooden floor was bouncing and the fans were going ballistic at the referee

http://tdifh.blogspot.com/2016/06/10...but-those.html

Aside from all the obvious ones...

Cardiff 2 - 1 Watford March 18th 2009
    97th minute mcmormack pen to win the match under the lights for the last time at NP. Amazing atmosphere.

Beating cheltenham twice in a week 3-1 in 2000. And beating Exeter 6-1 a few weeks later.

Beating Wolves in the 2008 cup run.

Cardiff 0 - 0 Scunthorpe 1999 Promoted to then Division 2. My first time on the pitch.

The steam of piss from the Grange end toilets.

Remembering all the faces you knew and just bye a look.I miss those days

The smell of Old Holborn, the ground had that smell of tobacco. The ‘bounce’ of the Grangetown End on the wooden sleeper terracing. The approach to the ground for a night game, seeing those wonderful floodlights shining, the floodlights at any time of the week in fact, just seeing them in the distance, they just drew your eyes to them. The ‘matchbox like’ grandstand perched over the enclosure, so out of place, like it shouldn’t have been there. Stood on the narrow wall at the back of the Bob Bank during the early ECWC games (Esbjerg, Sporting Lisbon, Zaragoza etc), banging the tin sheeting with your heels ...Cardiff, bang bang, Cardiff, bang bang, Cardiff, bang bang. Radio Ninian in the corner of the Grange & Enclosure. Checking the half time scores in your programme against the letters alongside the enclosure wall. BIF & BAF sellers. Attempting to get a pint in The Bluebirds Club aged about 14, no chance. Golden Goal a tanner sellers. The Echo seller with half an ear shouting ‘Cardiff City gonna win today’ outside the ground before the game. The black fella who leant on the crash barrier directly behind the goal with chain link fencing separating the boys enclosure from the rest of the Grangetown End, he had his son sat on the barrier and a fag permanently welded to his bottom lip. The ‘Hockey’ post on the Grangetown End, so called after Birmingham fans had vertically sprayed his name on it before being unceremoniously shifted off the End. So many memories.

Asking my old man if we could move from the grandstand and go in the bob bank with the singers

My dad taking me to my first game in 1973. 0-2 v Hull City
    Tony Villars equaliser against Palace that kept us up.
    Neville Southall letting a soft goal in against Yugoslavia when we were 10 mins from qualifying.
    John Buchanan's rocket free kick to get us a late point against The Jacks
    Robin Friday's V sign against the Luton keeper...Aleksic?
    The last floodlit game against Derby when we won 4-1 and thinking yes we've made the playoffs

Man City in the cup in 93 ? ?? now that game was special

Leeds in the FA Cup, what a atmosphere, it was fooking mental

I am going to add watching Leon Jeanne against the Jacks in the FAW cup final, wow, he looked such a great player, thought he was going to be our big player next season

great freekick from Kav that game as well

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Asking my old man if we could move from the grandstand and go in the bob bank with the singers
    I asked if we could move from the Bob Bank to the Grange End. My granddad wasn't having any of it.

I only went on the old Grange End a few times. I went up the back once. It was pretty scary for a 12-year-old.

Playing football with a discarded can of coke with my brawd at the front of the Bob Bank and taking not a blind bit of notice what was going on on the pitch.

I also remember quite stupidly heading a ball from a wayward shot whilst in the Canton stand as a kid, misjudging the speed of it and realising I wasn’t heading a ball in the local boys club, much to my fathers delight.

Beating Liverpool 6-1 1957
    Beating Spurs 3-2 March 1961 Spurs did the double
    Losing to Hamburg 2-3 Cup Winners Cup
    Beating Real Madrid 1-0 1971.

Remember those juberlee orange drinks shaped like a pyramid.
    Slamming your foot down on them at the front of the bobbank sounded like a bomb going off.
    Throwing the tops off the polystyrene cups of tea like little Frisbees.
    Smelling the tabaco smoke from the pipe smokers
    Walking in the Bobbank under the Grangetown end holding my dad's hand nervously looking up as fags and piss dropped through the cracks.
    Walking through the back of the bobbank where an old school fight between Merthyr and the Rhondda was taking place in a big circle of onlookers.
    Nervously wait in the boys queue as my dad went in the adults queue.
    Night game v West Ham about 81 me and my mate were 13 his brother was 10 we were down the front of the bobbank when this enormous West ham Afro carribean lad with about 4 mates got out manoeuvred by a mob of city right by us and we got smashed out of the way in the melee they jumped the fence and legged it to the enclosure.
    My mates brother didn't go for about 20 years after that!
    So many wonderful memories I'm so glad my dad was a football man and not rugby.
    What stories could a rugby fan tell his grand kids?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The smell of Old Holborn, the ground had that smell of tobacco. The ‘bounce’ of the Grangetown End on the wooden sleeper terracing. The approach to the ground for a night game, seeing those wonderful floodlights shining, the floodlights at any time of the week in fact, just seeing them in the distance, they just drew your eyes to them. The ‘matchbox like’ grandstand perched over the enclosure, so out of place, like it shouldn’t have been there. Stood on the narrow wall at the back of the Bob Bank during the early ECWC games (Esbjerg, Sporting Lisbon, Zaragoza etc), banging the tin sheeting with your heels ...Cardiff, bang bang, Cardiff, bang bang, Cardiff, bang bang. Radio Ninian in the corner of the Grange & Enclosure. Checking the half time scores in your programme against the letters alongside the enclosure wall. BIF & BAF sellers. Attempting to get a pint in The Bluebirds Club aged about 14, no chance. Golden Goal a tanner sellers. The Echo seller with half an ear shouting ‘Cardiff City gonna win today’ outside the ground before the game. The black fella who leant on the crash barrier directly behind the goal with chain link fencing separating the boys enclosure from the rest of the Grangetown End, he had his son sat on the barrier and a fag permanently welded to his bottom lip. The ‘Hockey’ post on the Grangetown End, so called after Birmingham fans had vertically sprayed his name on it before being unceremoniously shifted off the End. So many memories.
    As if I’d written all that myself , saved me 15 minutes
    Perfect memories Steve

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Remember those juberlee orange drinks shaped like a pyramid.
    Slamming your foot down on them at the front of the bobbank sounded like a bomb going off.
    Throwing the tops off the polystyrene cups of tea like little Frisbees.
    Smelling the tabaco smoke from the pipe smokers
    Walking in the Bobbank under the Grangetown end holding my dad's hand nervously looking up as fags and piss dropped through the cracks.
    Walking through the back of the bobbank where an old school fight between Merthyr and the Rhondda was taking place in a big circle of onlookers.
    Nervously wait in the boys queue as my dad went in the adults queue.
    Night game v West Ham about 81 me and my mate were 13 his brother was 10 we were down the front of the bobbank when this enormous West ham Afro carribean lad with about 4 mates got out manoeuvred by a mob of city right by us and we got smashed out of the way in the melee they jumped the fence and legged it to the enclosure.
    My mates brother didn't go for about 20 years after that!
    So many wonderful memories I'm so glad my dad was a football man and not rugby.
    What stories could a rugby fan tell his grand kids?
    Yup, Me and my old man had a routine. Franklins bakery for a pasty and the sweet shop for a 1/4 of cola cubes for in the ground. I'd stand at the bottom of the Bob Bank peering through the chain link fence while my old man would stand a few rows up moaning about how shit we were!

The benches in the Canton Stand.

Hanging around waiting for the gates to be opened 10 minutes after half time although sometimes they were kept shut so someone would climb the turnstile wall (the perennially unfinished Canton Stand allowed for this) and let everyone in when the steward disappeared.

The cavernous terrace of the Bob Bank before the seating went in and the amount of room you could get to yourself.

Walking around the back corridor of the Bob (after the seating went in) on the first day of the season at 2 minutes to 3, with the sunlight streaking the exits and the anticipatory noise.

There was a different kind of light at old, open grounds. The gloom and the winter night had a degree of parity rather than being shut out by the all-surrounding glow of new stadiums.

The shabby, hotchpotch, outdated thing it became.

There might have been some games too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Aside from all the obvious ones...

Cardiff 2 - 1 Watford March 18th 2009
    97th minute mcmormack pen to win the match under the lights for the last time at NP. Amazing atmosphere.

Beating cheltenham twice in a week 3-1 in 2000. And beating Exeter 6-1 a few weeks later.

Beating Wolves in the 2008 cup run.

Cardiff 0 - 0 Scunthorpe 1999 Promoted to then Division 2. My first time on the pitch.
    The Watford game - was that the one where we got a pen for handball on the line and all 11 Watford players spent what seemed like 10 minutes arguing with the referee and linesman. Grange End.

Going down the City with my Dad with an elderly neighbour, Mr Carder, who had been gassed in WW1. I used to wince every time he coughed

People who lived near Ninian Park who let you park your bike in their front green for a tanner

Fans on the Bob Bank who waited to see which way we were playing in the first half and then move to the end of the Bob Bank in line with the goals we were attacking and then moving to the other end at half time

Half time score letters

Radio Ninian with, I think, Glyn Potter at the microphone. The hospital broadcasts were made from there as well.

Pies by Stan Thomas of Merthyr

Standing in the boys enclosure with my mate having been told by my Dad not to speak to any strange men. Noticeably, there were always strange men standing by the boys enclosure.

Football special buses from Terminus Buildings Wood St to Sloper Rd Depot and back after the game. Fare - threepence.

Football programmes of manageable size and content. A short editorial, teams, pen pictures of opposition players, a summary of the season’s results so far and a few ads. Not the magnum opus we get these days

Terry in his policeman’s helmet

In the boys turnstiles, being told by the operator to squeeze with my mate into one section of the turnstile not realising that he was pocketing an admission fee.

Lew Clayton’s magic sponge

For a big club and an International Ground the embarrassingly small Grandstand hunched over the half way line.

Standing on the Bob Bank and watching the Directors Box empty at half time for their free drinks etc. - some things don’t change

Captain Morgan Rum

Standing in the boys enclosure and being able to smell the liniment of the players