+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST HOME PERFORMANCES WITHOUT WINNING

BEST HOME PERFORMANCES WITHOUT WINNING

Two relatively obscure matches spring to my mind, both because of the outstanding quality of football played.

These are:

City v Leicester City in 1969.
    If memory serves me right we went a goal down in the first half and spent the rest of the game tearing them apart with fast and skillful football before we finally got on level terms late on in the game. It was a breathtaking performance which deserved so much more.

City v WBA in 2006
    This was a night game played against high flying opponents. I believe Kerrea Gilbert was in the team at full back. Probably one of the best 1-1 draws I've ever witnessed, notable for a highly-skilled performance that Dave Jones could elicit from his teams on occasions. You left the ground with a warm glow even though we only had a share of the spoils.

Re: BEST HOME PERFORMANCES WITHOUT WINNING

plenty of views but nobody can remember a good performance...i can't.

I thought we played really well in losing 2-0 to Brighton in the red scarf match during our Championship winning season and we murdered Leeds in a night game in which we had a player sent off, yet lost 2-0.

Chelsea home last season.

Brilliant display and robbed.

Yeah that WBA was great. Ninian Park was rocking that night, 1st home game of the season midweek. John Hartson got an absolute earful, actually felt quite bad for him in the end.

McPhail ran the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

seconded.

Also our 0-0 against Arsenal in the cup at NP, can't recall the year (but about 15-ish years ago?), we got tonked 4-0 in he replay.

Arsenal and Chelsea home last season, could probably throw Burnley in there too

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought we played really well in losing 2-0 to Brighton in the red scarf match during our Championship winning season and we murdered Leeds in a night game in which we had a player sent off, yet lost 2-0.
    Was that under Slade? Lex Immers couldn't do much wrong at the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Two relatively obscure matches spring to my mind, both because of the outstanding quality of football played.

These are:

If memory serves me right we went a goal down in the first half and spent the rest of the game tearing them apart with fast and skillful football before we finally got on level terms late on in the game. It was a breathtaking performance which deserved so much more.

City v WBA in 2006
    This was a night game played against high flying opponents. I believe Kerrea Gilbert was in the team at full back. Probably one of the best 1-1 draws I've ever witnessed, notable for a highly-skilled performance that Dave Jones could elicit from his teams on occasions. You left the ground with a warm glow even though we only had a share of the spoils.
    Bradford home, first home game in the Championship. Team had a standing ovation, despite losing 2-0. Two great strikes for Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No, that was the promotion season under Mackay

We won the game you're thinking of 4-1

Actually I think one of our games from last season was mentioned in an article about the least likely results from an xg point of view in the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Arsenal and Chelsea home last season, could probably throw Burnley in there too
    Arsenal’s multi millionaire pound strikers saved them , Burnley mugged us and Chelsea inept officials ..l

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    After the lack of quality up-front we've suffered over the last few years, along with so little creativity in midfield. It's weird reading about Chopra, Bothroyd and Whitts being in the same team. It's like, how is it possible for us to not score?

https://www.infogol.net/en/matches/r...18-09-30/18224

This was the one, some sites had Burnley's xG as 0.11 and they scored twice. We had about 2 xG but only scored once.

https://www.infogol.net/en/matches/r...18-09-30/18224

This was the one, some sites had Burnley's xG as 0.11 and they scored twice. We had about 2 xG but only scored once.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Bradford home, first home game in the Championship. Team had a standing ovation, despite losing 2-0. Two great strikes for Bradford.
    We then went on a scoring spree. Bradford were too cute for us that game, but we showed we could be a class act. We were probably a midfield engine away from the playoffs that season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm with you there Bob. We 'murdered' Brighton that night but couldn't score, not matter how hard we tried. They scored with two quick breakaways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm with you there Bob. We 'murdered' Brighton that night but couldn't score, not matter how hard we tried. They scored with two quick breakaways.
    I was away on holiday for this game but saw the match report on TV afterwards. It concurred with you that it was a bit of smash and grab affair and that it was not a poor performance by the City. At least that was some consolation and didn't ruin my holiday....too much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Yes, I believe it was - from memory that Italian keeper Leeds had and Sol Bamba played very well that night, but we overran them, yet couldn't score.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    .. just about to mention this game before I saw your post...
    walked away not bothered about the result as we played so well

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    .. just about to mention this game before I saw your post...
    walked away not bothered about the result as we played so well
    Have you been reading my diary ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Robbed, quite possibly, although everything might have been different had Chelsea rightfully been awarded an early penalty. But a brilliant display? Didn't see that at all. I saw a disciplined, workmanlike display against a Chelsea side who largely awful on the day, but did City have a decent shot on goal other than Camarasa's effort that found the back of the net?

2-2 with reading under the floodlights, when Routledge was here. He was phenomenal and we attacked with lots of pace. One of the best halves I've seen us play.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

These are:

City v WBA in 2006
    Think the Leicester game ended 2-2 and if I’m correct was on MOTD and Toshack got both goals and for the first I’d ever seengot a 10 in the Sunday People.