+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accents..

Re: Accents..

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5072207]The bradford accent is great

All the north east accents , middlesborough , sunderland , newcastle sound exactly the same to me
    something that
    Stoke is a strange accent , half scouse , half east midlands

Nottingham , leicester and derby accents all sound the same

Cardiff is an odd one , in the middle of mostly strong south wales accents you have something that sounds like scouse . When I was in college there was a cardiff lass on the course and everyone thought she was from liverpool . Apparently cardiff and liverpool are so similar because both had a high irish immigration to build the docks which influenced the accent .

Oxford is a funny one , like reading it's not far from london but like reading the locals sound like wurzels

The newport accent kills me , I cant stop laughing every time I hear someone from newport speak[/QUOTE

How predictable 😆

[QUOTE=Wash DC Blue;5072274]
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The bradford accent is great

All the north east accents , middlesborough , sunderland , newcastle sound exactly the same to me
    something that

Cardiff is an odd one , in the middle of mostly strong south wales accents you have something that sounds like scouse . When I was in college there was a cardiff lass on the course and everyone thought she was from liverpool . Apparently cardiff and liverpool are so similar because both had a high irish immigration to build the docks which influenced the accent .

Oxford is a funny one , like reading it's not far from london but like reading the locals sound like wurzels

The newport accent kills me , I cant stop laughing every time I hear someone from newport speak[/QUOTE

How predictable 😆
    It's hilarious, oh hes from cardiff then about , round or town comes along and yep , its newport

The bradford accent is great

something that

The newport accent kills me , I cant stop laughing every time I hear someone from newport speak
    [QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5072281]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

It's hilarious, oh hes from cardiff then about , round or town comes along and yep , its newport
    Only difference is O’s
    It’s uncannily close to Massachusetts in some sense with the emphasis on the A’s.

I get asked quite often if I lived in Boston.

I once read an interview with a dialect coach who said the accent matches the landscape. Eg. South Wales valleys accents - up and down and sing-song. Norfolk - flat burr. Might be something in that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    ya

I think it was Bangor we went to in the 90’s to watch City in that poxy Welsh cuppie thingy.

When we got out of the car, we thought we’d shot past and ended up in Liverpool. Frigging weird
    I did my teacher training in Bangor (81/82). Couldnt understand the locals as Welsh was the first language or a very softly spoken English with a gog accent. TP was in Flint which was definately English with a scouse accent. We had one girl on our course who came from a farm on the middle of nowhere and didnt speak English at all. Consequently everything had to be translated, by the bilingual lecturer, for her. I don't recall any of the Bangor locals having a scouse accent but that may well have changed by the 90s. By then I was living in the Black Country where the locals spoke an unintelligible dialect. That's dying out now although speech patterns and accent remain. Having lost my Cardiff accent, and picked up the Black Country, if I spend some time back in Cardiff friends and family comment on my "Welsh" accent picked up again.

[QUOTE=Wash DC Blue;5072284]

Only difference is O’s
    It’s uncannily close to Massachusetts in some sense with the emphasis on the A’s.

I get asked quite often if I lived in Boston.
    They say caar for car in Boston dont they

It transpired Wearside Jack, the person who sent a hoax Yorkshire Ripper tape to the police, was indeed from a small area of Sunderland that was pinpointed by an expert decades earlier. When I lived in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, everyone from that county sounded the same to my ear except for those from Barnsley who were completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I once read an interview with a dialect coach who said the accent matches the landscape. Eg. South Wales valleys accents - up and down and sing-song. Norfolk - flat burr. Might be something in that.
    Newcastle has a low elevation but a very melodic accent (partly due to the Scandinavian influence, which is also reflected in blood groups in the area). The Midlands has a far greater range of topographic elevation but the accents are far less modulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Yeah - this book explains what you are saying

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ndscape&f=true

They say caar for car in Boston dont they
    Yeah they do.
    Same for Park, Dark etc...

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Yeah - this book explains what you are saying

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ndscape&f=true
    The author of that book states that he doesn't necessarily buy into the theory himself.

I have a mate that has been here for a couple of years from up north and he says there is a difference in someone who's from Llanrumney to Ely. There you go,i thought we all sounded the same. I have also been mistaken for a scouser a couple of times speaking to people in Ingurland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd say that the gwent valley accent has an element of the Newport accent
    Depends which valley and how far up I’d say. Risca, Pontypool, Cwmbran, etc. definitely have an element of the Newport accent. Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, etc. are unmistakably South Wales valleys to my ears and are as different to a Newport accent as a Merthyr one is from Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    If you want a real challenge check out Lyse Doucet, who is a journalist reporting for the BBC occasionally. When you think you've nailed the accent, have a look at her heritage. It may surprise you.
    Have often thought what her background must be when she’s on the radio!

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Depends which valley and how far up I’d say. Risca, Pontypool, Cwmbran, etc. definitely have an element of the Newport accent. Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, etc. are unmistakably South Wales valleys to my ears and are as different to a Newport accent as a Merthyr one is from Cardiff.

My mate is from Fochriw, that's almost the end of the world. I'd say that his accent is a bit softer to that of a Rhondda accent.

The further North or up into the deepest, darkest valleys the tone and vocals do tend to get more ‘valleys’. Rhymney Valley is an interesting contrast as Caerphilly, Llanbradach have different tones than someone from Rhymney or Fochriw for me. I don’t suppose there’s a lot of immigration into Fochriw though to influence the accent too much.

Sounds like an accent from the north of Ireland to me.....but it’s a bit of mangled one tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It transpired Wearside Jack, the person who sent a hoax Yorkshire Ripper tape to the police, was indeed from a small area of Sunderland that was pinpointed by an expert decades earlier. When I lived in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, everyone from that county sounded the same to my ear except for those from Barnsley who were completely different.
    I went to Doncaster to visit a married couple (the female possibly being from Barnsley) and when I got there she was home but he wasn't. However, when he (his name being Dave) arrived the first thing she exclaimed to him and in an animated fashion was:

"Dairve, Dairve, there were dead rat in't drive."

It made I smile (as they say in some parts of Somerset).

Corris in mid/north Wales have the Care-diff sound when they pronounce an A sound. It’s pretty much limited to one village/parish.

I heard a woman on 5 live once who was from Hereford and she sounded like a posh Cardiffian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Have always fascinated me. How can a difference of a few miles make such a difference. From Thornhill over to Caerphilly is only a few miles, yet the accent is so different. And why is it the further North you travel the accent seems to become 'more Broad, if that's indeed true or the correct description. Is the UK unique in this way or do others have experiences of Accent change in other countries? I find it all very interesting and would love to know what peoples theories/knowledge of accents are, or their experiences.

Is accent determined by weather, geographic environment, industry, class etc. Interested to know peoples thoughts.
    I think you can adapt your accent to fit in when you are young. I had a sales job working in Barry at the end of the 80's early 90's and my accent changed rapidly, I soon as changed and worked in Cardiff it went back to normal with just the odd twang occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    I think you can adapt your accent to fit in when you are young. I had a sales job working in Barry at the end of the 80's early 90's and my accent changed rapidly, I soon as changed and worked in Cardiff it went back to normal with just the odd twang occasionally.
    What is a normal Cardiff accent though? Rhiwbina is different to Splott, for example. And, is changing your accent conscious or subconscious?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    What is a normal Cardiff accent though? Rhiwbina is different to Splott, for example. And, is changing your accent conscious or subconscious?
    Could be either or both. I still have my Welsh accent after leaving Cardiff in 1977 but:

1. It is less accentuated I am told: subconcious.
    2. I modified some Cardiffian vowels that sounded grating even to me when speaking words such as banana, curtains, the name of Cardiff itself and even the word 'word': conscious

International

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I too have always been fascinated by accents and love trying to pinpoint them when on hols abroad. Some can be tricky. For instance Suffolk and Bristol are both wurzely even though they're geographically over a 100 miles apart.

The Mid Wales accent is a real strange one. Have a listen to Ian Woosnam and convince yourself he's Welsh.

Accents are definitely not just a UK thing. For instance listen to a New Yorker and someone from the Deep South. Couldn't sound more different.

If you want a real challenge check out Lyse Doucet, who is a journalist reporting for the BBC occasionally. When you think you've nailed the accent, have a look at her heritage. It may surprise you.
    The same is true in Ireland, listening to 2 people one from Antrim and one from Dublin and you'd be in no doubt they were from different countries, but to a foreign ear a man from tipperary is a lot easier to understand than a man from Dublin

International

I've stayed in a lot of different places so may have had more exposure to thisthan some.
    I learned to speak german mainly in Berlin and when I spoke it in other part f germany peaople used to call me an 'icky' berliner, because of the accent. I in gernam is Ich, normally rponounced eek, but berliners say Ick. Abviously there are other nuances i never noticed but everey german recognised the berlinerisms in my speech. yearsd later I was staying in an Hotel in Central berling whenre the had top hatter front of house managers. One morning I was waiting for something and picked up the London Times and started reading it. The Manager said, "Oh you understand English as well do you" Becuae my german accent had softened since leaving Berlin he though I was dutch. I had been some time on N West an the eiffel mountains.
    I had the misfortune to live in the North East of England for a number of years and I was amazed how eays it wax to tell the difference between a novocastrian (geordie) and a Wearsider (Mackem) even though they were onyl a few miles apart. When I returned to Cardiff I was ina pub and in converstation commented on the stae of the Welsh rugby team. O chap Ididn't get on with said, "What do you know about Wales you have only been here a tomato season. It was the first time i realised i had picked up the geordie accent. I asked him where he was from and it transpired he was from goucester but said, "Nut I've lived here for years" I politely informed him I was born a mile away and asked him to retract his commnet. He left the piub and I've never seen him again. That was in 1997.

So I believe accents are noth less do with heritage and more to do with what you actually hear. On that nore I've notice inflection and pronounciation changing latesy. Listen to the lady on the new Dyson ad and hear how she pronounces the name. It sopunds odd to my ear. Ther isw one about cillit bang when the woman uses the phrse "I didn't care", its perfectly correct but the inflaction sound odd, asd if her voice is fading away at the end of the sentence. Then I began to notice it in younger people.

I lived in London for 40 years still got a strong Taff valley accent which I suppose has faded a little but certainly gets topped up when I return home.

The Cardiff accent often disregards the letter ‘t’ if it doesn’t start a word. ‘Wassa marrer?’ (What’s the matter’), the word ‘the’ is replaced with ‘sa’, Wha’ i is, rye, (What it is, right) and sometimes will use the ‘t’ to end one one but not others in the same sentence, Tha game was a right ba’lle (That game was a right battle), no ‘t’ on the end of That, as always, but it’s there on the end of right and I’ve got no letter for the sound between the a & i in battle I’m happy with my Cardiff accent though, maybe slightly similar to others but the ‘mongrel’ in it makes it unique