+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EFL players told,Season unlikely to be completed

EFL players told,Season unlikely to be completed

Re: EFL players told,Season unlikely to be completed

This was obvious when the premier League offered the bung to the EFL early in the piece.

The effect of either 1) allowing Leeds and West brom promotion and the jackpot of premier League TV money without them having earned it and/or 2) allowing teams in the basement of the premier League another cart full of TV money next year is massive, long lasting and unfair on so many clubs in my opinion.

So, would that be no parachute payment for this season as it didn’t ‘exist’? Or an extra parachute payment with this season pro rata?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This was obvious when the premier League offered the bung to the EFL early in the piece.

The effect of either 1) allowing Leeds and West brom promotion and the jackpot of premier League TV money without them having earned it and/or 2) allowing teams in the basement of the premier League another cart full of TV money next year is massive, long lasting and unfair on so many clubs in my opinion.
    Back to 22 in both divisions. I bet the PL will want to revert back to 20 asap, so probably 3 down/2 up, or 4 down 3 up for the following couple of seasons. The so-called PL start up behind closed doors is fraught with problems, and I suspect will draw objections from all areas of society. Of course, the PL's case will be they're doing it for benefit of sports-starved viewers' mental well-being.

That's a real bummer for Leeds after all that hard work they put in. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I realise plenty of people will chuckle at their misfortune but - as has been pointed out - other teams will suffer too. What is being said is that nine months of work, effort, injuries, travelling etc now means nothing. It's being torn up to start again. (And start again when?)

I think I remember this right but in the 90s the Major League Baseball players went on strike and the owners said fine, we'll scrap the season. Then the following year attendances were hit - the fans said if you can't be bothered, neither can we. Perhaps when football comes back crowds will surge because of what we missed but I fear the opposite. You made it meaningless; you scrapped what we hope to achieve, so what's the point?

And I still don't know why they can't hang on indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I realise plenty of people will chuckle at their misfortune but - as has been pointed out - other teams will suffer too. What is being said is that nine months of work, effort, injuries, travelling etc now means nothing. It's being torn up to start again. (And start again when?)

I think I remember this right but in the 90s the Major League Baseball players went on strike and the owners said fine, we'll scrap the season. Then the following year attendances were hit - the fans said if you can't be bothered, neither can we. Perhaps when football comes back crowds will surge because of what we missed but I fear the opposite. You made it meaningless; you scrapped what we hope to achieve, so what's the point?

Because I should imagine most people don't want to hang on indefinitely.

This is a completely different situation. This is not a strike and no one when knows when it will end. I'm of the opinion that it's better for everyone to know now than keep waiting around. Especially short-term. My daughter's school closure is being revisited on May 15th. I'd rather they just ended the school year now so everyone can get on with making arrangements. I would imagine most footballers and their families feel the same way. The EPL is talking about having a three-week "pre-season" before play resumes. Do you think anyone outside of the top 6 cares? This is not about the fans or even the players. It's about the EPL, Fenway Sports Group et al.

Bearing a grudge because of a global pandemic would be a tad churlish.

If Leeds are granted the title and promotion they will be sending the trophy around the streets of the city in a hearse so that people can applaud from their dorsteps as it passes by.

I agree with this sentiment. Football is basically play loads of games : trophy : play loads of games : trophy : repeat repeat repeat forever.

If you take the trophy out, then what's left? I don't know if it's because I've got older, but I already feel less bothered about promotion/relegation/getting knocked out. Without even that and it seems all pretty meaningless.

I feel like there has to be something to show for those six months of games, otherwise what's the point in starting again? Another wave of the virus and the games are chalked off?

Because I should imagine most people don't want to hang on indefinitely.

This is a completely different situation. This is not a strike and no one when knows when it will end. I'm of the opinion that it's better for everyone to know now than keep waiting around. Especially short-term. My daughter's school closure is being revisited on May 15th. I'd rather they just ended the school year now so everyone can get on with making arrangements. I would imagine most footballers and their families feel the same way. The EPL is talking about having a three-week "pre-season" before play resumes. Do you think anyone outside of the top 6 cares? This is not about the fans or even the players. It's about the EPL, Fenway Sports Group et al.
    Players (and everyone) will have to wait anyway for either a new season or the end of this one. I take your point regarding the strike but it comes down to how clubs are treated by the authorities. I agree with your last line though; they'll be leading the way as ever.

Heisenberg

My major gripe with the season being cancelled is what if there's another wave of Covid this time next year? Do you cancel that season too and when does the cancelling end? The precedent will have already been set.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Bearing a grudge because of a global pandemic would be a tad churlish.
    I think this is more about the way we proceed than the lull itself. If you work on something for nine months and then you're told to scrap it because it won't be finished in time, but you can start again from scratch in August (but perhaps not August) then I don't see how people will keep a lid on their resentment.

Its a right mess. Playing behind closed doors will have the testing and tracing, what happens if a player tests positive and all that team and the opposition have to go into quarantine again?
    What stops idiot fans travelling to the grounds even when it’s behind closed doors causing headaches for the plod and other resources?
    There’s a whole host of legal issues from other clubs protesting against relegation and promotions if the season can’t be finished and there just can’t be a fair outcome.
    I can honestly see all divisions being voided.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My major gripe with the season being cancelled is what if there's another wave of Covid this time next year? Do you cancel that season too and when does the cancelling end? The precedent will have already been set.
    Scientists are expecting there to be a second wave later this year. November.

Heisenberg

Scientists are expecting there to be a second wave later this year. November.
    I was talking about another wave this time next year (potential 3rd wave) as that would be the closest scenario to the situation we've got now (with the games remaining etc).

Even if it's the case that there's just a second wave in November then I don't know when can they can expect to start and finish the 'next' season as nobody seems to know when it's going to be safe to resume this season.

Makes no sense not to just finish this season (when it's safe to do so) and not risk the cancellation of future seasons whenever there's another wave of Covid or something similar.

I naively thought sport is less of a priority than pandemics

I happens again and season needs to be cancelled, so be it.

I was talking about another wave this time next year (potential 3rd wave) as that would be the closest scenario to the situation we've got now (with the games remaining etc).

Even if it's the case that there's just a second wave in November then I don't know when can they can expect to start and finish the 'next' season as nobody seems to know when it's going to be safe to resume this season.

Makes no sense not to just finish this season (when it's safe to do so) and not risk the cancellation of future seasons whenever there's another wave of Covid or something similar.
    Yes quite.

If the season does resume without fans and the games are played as normal at each club’s ground, you’ve still got over 2000 people on the move around the country on match days as well as the players, officials and various others involved with the home sides. Television people needed at every ground if, as has been said, the games are to be broadcast live. The problem of keeping fans from congregating outside stadiums, the mayor of Liverpool has alluded to this by saying it would be nigh on impossible to prevent crowds from gathering outside Anfield. The logistics of restarting the season any time soon are realistically nil, if money (or the loss of it) talks on this one with what’s going on in the world I despair.

My suggestion is that there should be a think tank of intelligent people who have no interest in football, no preconceived ideas about how it should be run, no knowledge of the history of the game and no affinity to any club and ask them to come up with a solution.

My bet would be they would say, void the season.

Trouble is, they'd be mostly women.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post

Agreed.

Play all the games in St. George’s Park.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

When you put Professional sport-money-self interest into an equation there is only ever one answer

I wouldn’t be surprised if the chairman leading the end the season now argument are to be found in the lower half of the table if not the relegation threatened group

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post

The point I'm trying to make is not when but how. Football will return but why not just a continuation of this season rather than a new one? If there's a possibility of another pause then why not just put it on ice instead of cancelling months of work.

My mind set would be that this season needs to be finished when football restarts in a coordinated fashion across Europe, even if football restarts behind closed doors and it's gone past July 1st (is that still seen as the beginning of 2020/21 season by authorities /statisticians ?) I would like the season to be completed even if it's next season before another season starts and not just the league program but the FA Cup and Europa Cup and Champions League as well.

But that coordinated restart across Europe is not going to happen (for a variety of reasons) for starters some leagues are already cancelling their season, it's beginning to look like some European leagues - even some important ones are going to cancel their season but it seems like the Premier League want to finish their season, even though it seems that the football league is not going to finish their season off, which leads to questions about no promotion/relegation or who gets promoted and relegated etc.
    If the Premier League gets cancelled will anybody be declared as champions and who gets to play in Europe when European comps start back up ?