+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EFL players told,Season unlikely to be completed

Re: EFL players told,Season unlikely to be completed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Football to remain behind closed doors until 2021/22? I think it could well happen.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...eason-18182309
    Wonder how many clubs will be left by then, none in league 1 or 2, half the championship?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Are they? 12 in the whole of a Wales yesterday wasn’t it? 8 the day before? Time to get back to some sort of normal before it’s too late for far more than 20,000. And I’m pretty sure there will be a few companies with vaccines available by sept to Dec, not just one......
    OK, sorry. I meant only a handful of people have died within and outside hospitals as a result of the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    People are dying in their tens of thousands and everyone needs to have some sort of perspective. And there's no guarantee that things will be normalised in August (and in a different contractual period for many players) anyway.
    I'm not trying to belittle this by any means, I'm just baffled as to why the EFL think scrapping this season will help and am wary of adding insult to injury. I'd rather see 20/21 shelved or modified.

Banned

Football to remain behind closed doors until 2021/22? I think it could well happen.

I think it is very likely. What is the point if there are no fans watching though?

If the aim is to "control the pandemic" then cancelling the football would make just as much sense.

Banned

Are they? 12 in the whole of a Wales yesterday wasn’t it? 8 the day before? Time to get back to some sort of normal before it’s too late for far more than 20,000. And I’m pretty sure there will be a few companies with vaccines available by sept to Dec, not just one......
    What makes you so sure there will be lots of vaccines available, and that the vaccine will be effective.

I think reports like this are utter horseshit. Pure speculation based on nothing factual at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think reports like this are utter horseshit. Pure speculation based on nothing factual at all.
    Agree, Nobody knows what's going to happen, not even the experts.

The quote ‘behind closed doors’ is ridiculous, for such a game to take place there’d have to be a few hundred involved, each team most probably have an entourage of at least fifty each plus other officials, tv personnel etc, even more ball boys than usual, imagine the players having to jump over advertising hoardings, walls, seats to get a ball back from the back of the stand. The away team’s entourage would have to travel perhaps a few hundred miles and back, then do the same a fortnight later, one infected person could do a fair bit of damage around the country before falling ill, or he could be asymptomatic. Could be a Typhoid Mary situation.

Personally I don't believe you can award championships or relegation/promotion based on a season that isn't finished.
    The idea that leeds and West Brom will be promoted, but no one relegated is ludicrous. I would prefer the season to be put on hold til it is safe and resume and complete this season.
    However, if the season is to be voided, a fair way of ensuring that there was some recognition of results this season would be for teams to start next season with the points already accumulated form this season.

Is a situation like this, albeit unprecedented, not covered in the rules?

If not, whatever happens, there will be many disgruntled people about and the courts will be busy.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Is a situation like this, albeit unprecedented, not covered in the rules?

If not, whatever happens, there will be many disgruntled people about and the courts will be busy.
    In English Law it may be covered by an act of God.

International

Force majeure, in the wikipedia definition includes "Epidemics" but I don't know where they got theri definition from.

I can't see how they can do anything other than make football in the English pyramid null and void.

Liverpool would be worthy winners, but awarding them the title early or playing games behind closed doors and awarding them the title in, say August, would see a huge street party in Liverpool and I can't see mass gatherings being allowed until 2021.

There's no way Scousers wouldn't be out in the streets if they were awarded the title, regardless of restrictions and its not worth the risk.

There's something like twelve matches left at most of this season for each side and I've not heard a single convincing argument yet as to why they could not be played when football eventually restarts. The 1939/40 season was abandoned because of the outbreak of the Second World War, but teams had only played three or four matches then - that's when seasons can be scrapped, not when teams have played more than three quarters of the league programme - finish the 19/20 season and then adjust what was going to be 20/21 accordingly if necessary.

There's something like twelve matches left at most of this season for each side and I've not heard a single convincing argument yet as to why they could not be played when football eventually restarts. The 1939/40 season was abandoned because of the outbreak of the Second World War, but teams had only played three or four matches then - that's when seasons can be scrapped, not when teams have played more than three quarters of the league programme - finish the 19/20 season and then adjust what was going to be 20/21 accordingly if necessary.
    I think a fair bit of that is the opportunity to laugh at Liverpool and Leeds. If we were third, I can't imagine any of us being cool with cancellation.

All signs seem to suggest that we'll have more waves of this virus until there is a vaccine, and more lockdowns no doubt. If the precedent is to cancel the season when that happens, then maybe we'll have a run of unfinished seasons ahead of us.

So I agree, finish this season when we can and then work out what we'll do for the next one, as right now we can't make those plans. It seems hard to believe that 20/21 can kick off in august so it is guaranteed to be curtailed somehow anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think a fair bit of that is the opportunity to laugh at Liverpool and Leeds. If we were third, I can't imagine any of us being cool with cancellation.

All signs seem to suggest that we'll have more waves of this virus until there is a vaccine, and more lockdowns no doubt. If the precedent is to cancel the season when that happens, then maybe we'll have a run of unfinished seasons ahead of us.

So I agree, finish this season when we can and then work out what we'll do for the next one, as right now we can't make those plans. It seems hard to believe that 20/21 can kick off in august so it is guaranteed to be curtailed somehow anyway.

The pragmatic answer is to cancel 2020/21. UEFA seem keen to get teams qualified for two cup competitions that will be impossible to start, let alone complete. Like you say, there is every chance there will be more lockdowns and more waves.

Also, the PL were advised Friday that their fit young millionaires will have to take 40,000 tests to complete their season. With a backdrop of the virus rampaging through care homes, and care staff having to wait 4-5 days to get a test and a result, it's not going to be great PR.

As soon as its clear that the season cant be completed by the end of June then its time to cancel the season.

Resume when its safe to do so.

That means when social distancing ends.

How can you tell the general population to keep apart but allow sportsmen to come into physical contact with each other.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    As soon as its clear that the season cant be completed by the end of June then its time to cancel the season.

Resume when its safe to do so.

That means when social distancing ends.

How can you tell the general population to keep apart but allow sportsmen to come into physical contact with each other.?

So just scrap this season? So tough on Liverpool but there we go. There’s no way they can just stop it as is and promote or relegate teams. I don’t think any PL team would object to Liverpool being crowned champions as they are so far ahead, nothing else is set in stone at all though. I reckon they will start next season ok, but will there be another spike in October aswell as the regular flu season? Let’s hope they can vaccinate the most needy by then at least.

Banned

So just scrap this season? So tough on Liverpool but there we go. There’s no way they can just stop it as is and promote or relegate teams. I don’t think any PL team would object to Liverpool being crowned champions as they are so far ahead, nothing else is set in stone at all though. I reckon they will start next season ok, but will there be another spike in October aswell as the regular flu season? Let’s hope they can vaccinate the most needy by then at least.
    Vaccinated by September? What is this based on?