+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: PPE Time To Find A Reusable Option

PPE Time To Find A Reusable Option

A NHS worker was explaining that on a long shift , one could change and throwaway 4 sets of PPE, times that by the 425k ish frontline nurses and doctors in the UK and becomes an astonishing supply demand and logistical nightmare, never mind the cost .

The numbers don't include other key workers and care workers, or the rest of the world demand .

The logistics behind this is remarkable, as is its safe disposal , as us its cost.

I wonder if environmentalists will ask the question soon ???

Re: PPE Time To Find A Reusable Option

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    A NHS worker was explaining that on a long shift , one could change and throwaway 4 sets of PPE, times that by the 425k ish frontline nurses and doctors in the UK and becomes an astonishing supply demand and logistical nightmare, never mind the cost .

The numbers don't include other key workers and care workers, or the rest of the world demand .

The logistics behind this is remarkable, as is its safe disposal , as us its cost.

I wonder if environmentalists will ask the question soon ???
    I’m going to show my incredible naivety about this subject but I’ve wondered why certain PPE can’t be cleansed? I’m assuming it’s because they don’t know enough about the characteristics of the virus? Once they do it may change current practices?

Anyone know?

I have a lady friend who works in a care home . After complaining for over a month about proper PPE they eventually been kitted out last week .

They must throw away every gown , visor and gloves each time they see a patient for anything into a special bin which then gets disposed of . the costs must be staggering when you consider how many care homes there are in the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I’m going to show my incredible naivety about this subject but I’ve wondered why certain PPE can’t be cleansed? I’m assuming it’s because they don’t know enough about the characteristics of the virus? Once they do it may change current practices?

Anyone know?
    when we had the SARS outbreak, they cleaned some PPE in Bleach, had massive drums of bleach and just chucked them in it, i watched a documentary on "medicine san frontier" on one of the documentary channels

i guess its a cost thing though, most of the PPE we use in the UK we pay pennies for, so better to throwaway than clean

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when we had the SARS outbreak, they cleaned some PPE in Bleach, had massive drums of bleach and just chucked them in it, i watched a documentary on "medicine san frontier" on one of the documentary channels

i guess its a cost thing though, most of the PPE we use in the UK we pay pennies for, so better to throwaway than clean
    That’s interesting. I get the cost reasons for binning PPE then in normal circumstances but as it’s such a scare resource at this moment I’m surprised they haven’t thought and looked at ways in recycling it.

I’ve assumed the properties of the virus doesn’t allow them too?

The opening post question is a good one IMO.

Previously having grafted in a pair of overalls, 3 pairs rotated and washed weekly Job done but, the contamination that medical PPE will see would, I guess be on a different level of contamination than say industrial grease and shit, and present difficult cleaning requirements than a pair of welders overalls, going forward there would be a nice business for the entrepreneurs, always in demand repeat business, and to please the environmentalists, a move away from our use it once and bin it mentality.

International

Would microwaving it kill the virus?

On another point, no one has still not explained why private care companiues are demanding PPE from the government, they charge people enough.

If what they are telling us is true that washing your hands thoroughly with soap kills the virus then washing PPE thoroughly with soap should do the trick....the only block that I see is cleaning and washing the PPE is hard work for us lot, so maybe we would have to fly in some Romanians on minimum wages.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Would microwaving it kill the virus?

On another point, no one has still not explained why private care companiues are demanding PPE from the government, they charge people enough.
    I've mentioned before that I find it impossible to follow every part of the story and I'm bound to be missing vital parts of it, but I thought they were "demanding" help to procure the PPE? Happy to be proven wrong, as always

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Anyone know?
    its the way its woven I think , better woven quality makes it waterproof and then you could wash it and ruse many times

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've mentioned before that I find it impossible to follow every part of the story and I'm bound to be missing vital parts of it, but I thought they were "demanding" help to procure the PPE? Happy to be proven wrong, as always
    I've wondered if there is a conflict of interest as a few of these private care home owners are wealthy ,some not so however they are businesses , should they be responsible for wages and PPE budget and purchasing ,when my mam went in I had to part fund her stay along with some state aid , however both my money and the state funding went to the home owner ??

Free market, private sector able to setup a PPE site that the public sector unable to.

https://ppeexchange.co.uk/

That shows there seems to be enough PPE...