+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the media more interested in criticizing than reporting?

Re: Is the media more interested in criticizing than reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Only call out laziness and incompetence when it happens, kid...
    Funny. Your little side splitter

Public sector work? *whistles*

Seemed rather general rather than specific to me. (I'll skip the kid reply)

Only call out laziness and incompetence when it happens, kid...
    I know both sides, and the majority of people that i've come across in the public sector aren't lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I know both sides, and the majority of people that i've come across in the public sector aren't lazy.
    I agree, despite what some on here seem to think. Been some great public sector people I've had the privilege to work for.

Difference for me is that private sector tends to be more driven. Getting public sector staff to give detailed requirements for what they want is often like pulling teeth, admittedly because they don't often know.

Problem you get is that when frontline staff in NHS **** up, it's got serious consequences and many want to deny that ever happens for some strange reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Maybe we should also examine our own values whereby we farm off our old folk to care homes to the degree that we do.
    As someone who just about to do this....I have no choice my mum is no longer safe to stay in her own home and I can’t provide anywhere near the professional care she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    As someone who just about to do this....I have no choice my mum is no longer safe to stay in her own home and I can’t provide anywhere near the professional care she needs.
    You have my sympathy mate, a very difficult situation to be in. Good luck.

I agree, despite what some on here seem to think. Been some great public sector people I've had the privilege to work for.

Difference for me is that private sector tends to be more driven. Getting public sector staff to give detailed requirements for what they want is often like pulling teeth, admittedly because they don't often know.

Problem you get is that when frontline staff in NHS **** up, it's got serious consequences and many want to deny that ever happens for some strange reason.
    Of course it happens, i've been on the end of very poor practice by the NHS, although my family and i would never use it as a stick to beat them with as some people do when there ideological persuasions get the better of them

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Of course it happens, i've been on the end of very poor practice by the NHS, although my family and i would never use it as a stick to beat them with as some people do when there ideological persuasions get the better of them
    My objection is more the "all are Angels" mantra when that's not true.

All the best mate. A difficult decision.

My objection is more the "all are Angels" mantra when that's not true.
    Absolutely agree, it's ****ing patronising for a start. My wife is a Nurse and she says that she finds it all a bit embarrassing, she's certainly no Angel and has told me that although it's been tough on the wards, things where she works aren't as bad as the media have made out. There are good nurses and there are those that are not so good, same as any workforce. One of the biggest tragedies that may come out of this (Maybe not for you ) is the Nursing and Health Worker unions not pushing better pay and conditions-strike while the iron is hot and all that. Rainbows are wonderful things but sadly they don't pay the bills. I'd like to see huge public support for health workers when this is over and for the weak healthcare unions to back up it's members.

I'd not disagree with improvements for health workers.

What I'd like to see is the rooting out of those who simply aren't competent given the current culture tends to be gathering round and protecting. Retrain where needed and if still not cutting the mustard, then replace. Not going to be easy to do, but those excellent health workers should be rewarded.

Of course some people have little choice due to their personal circumstances and which applies in your case. That's why I referred to the degree we do it rather than the fact that we do it.

I'd not disagree with improvements for health workers.

What I'd like to see is the rooting out of those who simply aren't competent given the current culture tends to be gathering round and protecting. Retrain where needed and if still not cutting the mustard, then replace. Not going to be easy to do, but those excellent health workers should be rewarded.
    What a great idea. Let’s not stop with nurses but cull the crap from all government and UK state funded institutions. Let’s start with the current UK government and ministers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    What a great idea. Let’s not stop with nurses but cull the crap from all government and UK state funded institutions. Let’s start with the current UK government and ministers.
    Another election then.

What would Brenda from Bristol say???

Oh get over it, Bob, was a joke...

Are you trying to applaud shame?
    You've proved it wasn't a joke in some of your subsequent posts, your opinions on the virus are driven by right wing political dogma - I accept that mine are driven by the same thing from the left wing to a degree, but the difference between us is I'm prepared to acknowledge my bias and have I hope been able to acknowledge when I think the opposite side have done something praiseworthy whereas that's just not in your make up.

I see you've seized on that report about there being ten times the number of cases of the virus in Germany as a way to question their official figures which are used against the IUK Government by people like me. I must say I don't get this approach because it would have a negligible impact on German death figures if true thereby making their fatalities total even more impressive when compared to ours.

Didn’t have all this guff back then hey.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...d-second-wave/

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Another election then.

What would Brenda from Bristol say???
    Let’s start with an independent inquiry and see what and who worked and who and what failed? That’ll take a bit of time.

Brenda from Bristol is waiting for the day she can visit the Old Duke and grab a pint of Scrumpy with the fear of Covid19 killing her. She’s not alone with that.

Good to see “Taking back control” working out well then

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wn-quarantined

Good to see Farage focusing on the 50 illegals’ that landed on a beach yesterday who are sure to be spreading Covid19 around the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even now, some people can't resist a public sector dig - will you be applauding the NHS workers on Thursday?
    A great many people who slag off the public sector aren't knocking NHS workers (who comprise 30% of the total), or teachers and those in the education field (28%), or coppers, firefighters, prison officers and many others who are essential. They mean the unproductive 430K strong army of lard-arsed, chair hugging, tea and coffee swigging, biscuit munching, pen pushing, computer keys tapping blobs of career layabouts who make up the civil service that hang around for donkey's years until they retire from stealing a living because they know no-one in the private sector would pay them nearly as much as the government teat does in return for doing next to bugger all.

There were an estimated 5.42 million people employed in the public sector for June 2019, which was 29,000 more than for March 2019. 16.5% of all people in paid work were employed in the public sector for June 2019, unchanged from March 2019. https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...yment/june2019

Even now, some people can't resist a public sector dig - will you be applauding the NHS workers on Thursday?
    I think it's a case that current talk of redundancy, furloughing, un-employment, crisis loans, the looming economic crash, these are all things that occupy the minds and discussion of those in the private sector, yet not really those with full pay and job security in the public sector..

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    A great many people who slag off the public sector aren't knocking NHS workers (who comprise 30% of the total), or teachers and those in the education field (28%), or coppers, firefighters, prison officers and many others who are essential. They mean the unproductive 430K strong army of lard-arsed, chair hugging, tea and coffee swigging, biscuit munching, pen pushing, computer keys tapping blobs of career layabouts who make up the civil service that hang around for donkey's years until they retire from stealing a living because they know no-one in the private sector would pay them nearly as much as the government teat does in return for doing next to bugger all.

There were an estimated 5.42 million people employed in the public sector for June 2019, which was 29,000 more than for March 2019. 16.5% of all people in paid work were employed in the public sector for June 2019, unchanged from March 2019. https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...yment/june2019
    Strewth!

You've proved it wasn't a joke in some of your subsequent posts, your opinions on the virus are driven by right wing political dogma - I accept that mine are driven by the same thing from the left wing to a degree, but the difference between us is I'm prepared to acknowledge my bias and have I hope been able to acknowledge when I think the opposite side have done something praiseworthy whereas that's just not in your make up.

I see you've seized on that report about there being ten times the number of cases of the virus in Germany as a way to question their official figures which are used against the IUK Government by people like me. I must say I don't get this approach because it would have a negligible impact on German death figures if true thereby making their fatalities total even more impressive when compared to ours.
    If I "seized" on that report to question the German figures, then can you please explain why I clearly caveated the Guardian report on it by pointing out it had not been peer reviewed? Did you selectively ignore that?

If I "seized" on that report to question the German figures, then can you please explain why I clearly caveated the Guardian report on it by pointing out it had not been peer reviewed? Did you selectively ignore that?
    So, I think I'll take your lack of an argument against my point about the German figures being even more impressive if that report is right as agreement with it and therefore I apologise for thinking you were just driven by a desire to make a political point and instead thank you for bringing it to the attention of the posters on here .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think it's a case that current talk of redundancy, furloughing, un-employment, crisis loans, the looming economic crash, these are all things that occupy the minds and discussion of those in the private sector, yet not really those with full pay and job security in the public sector..
    That's a fair point, but I can remember arguments on here a decade ago where people with a certain agenda saw the public sector as a convenient whipping boy, funnily enough they held similar type views to the likes of Ronnie "tells it like it is" Bird.

So, I think I'll take your lack of an argument against my point about the German figures being even more impressive if that report is right as agreement with it and therefore I apologise for thinking you were just driven by a desire to make a political point and instead thank you for bringing it to the attention of the posters on here .
    My point on the German figures is that if they are out by a factor of 10, then it's not as you claim "impressive".

The point you spectacularly missed is that IF true then it shows the danger of relying upon facts, figures at this point in time...

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

Is anyone going to bite? I'm not.