+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A really stupid idea from Gordon Taylor and the PFA

A really stupid idea from Gordon Taylor and the PFA

Premier League: Under 45-minute halves an option, says PFA chief Gordon Taylor

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has suggested halves of less than 45 minutes could be considered when football resumes.

Discussions about the Premier League's return are ongoing but Taylor says players are "concerned" about safety.

"They are not stupid," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "They would have to be satisfied that it is safe."

The Premier League said the idea is "not on the table".

Football League chairman Rick Parry said "there haven't been any discussions about it", but did tell a Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee hearing: "I don't think we should be ruling out any creative ideas."

Full article here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

Re: A really stupid idea from Gordon Taylor and the PFA

I'm really struggling to understand the logic behind slightly shorter matches.

I'm presuming for any Premier League fixtures to occur then the players would have to be designated by the government as essential workers. I'd be interested to see a minister make that case while maintaining a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'm presuming for any Premier League fixtures to occur then the players would have to be designated by the government as essential workers. I'd be interested to see a minister make that case while maintaining a straight face.
    Presumably the full Premier League fixture list isn't going to be the first non-essential thing to open. By then we'll be in the easing down phase.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm really struggling to understand the logic behind slightly shorter matches.
    It's possibly about doing the bare minimum to honour TV contracts.

Might as well do golden goal , first to score wins if we are trying to shorten games

Whatever is decided someone isn’t going to be happy unless the remaining games are played when it is deemed safe to do so under conditions that are as close as possible to the conditions the previous games were played (other than maybe behind closed doors ) and even then we have the problem of players contracts, sponsorship deals expiring...etc, etc.

They’ll be suggesting that teams pick their best computer games player and slog it out on FIFA 2020 (if there is such a thing) next