+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P Dave Greenfield - Stranglers

R.I.P Dave Greenfield - Stranglers

Another sad passing, this time the great Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers. By far the best of the bunch of original UK punk bands. Only seems like last week I caught them live at the Top Rank in May '77. Supported by London

Go Buddy, Go Buddy, Go Buddy, Go Go Go

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293

Re: R.I.P Dave Greenfield - Stranglers

rip

Saw them exactly 37 years ago on their Feline tour and they were crap. Cornwall was a dick that night. However late 70’s they were the business. They really were.
    RIP Dave and thanks for great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Another sad passing, this time the great Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers. By far the best of the bunch of original UK punk bands. Only seems like last week I caught them live at the Top Rank in May '77. Supported by London

Go Buddy, Go Buddy, Go Buddy, Go Go Go

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293
    I saw them twice. Second time was at the Brixton Academy last year as a birthday present for my wife, who is a big fan (….and holds Golden Brown as one of her favourite songs ever) and the first was in about 1976/77 supporting Deke Leonard's Man at Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall. Bit of a gap in between.

I saw them at the Bristol Exhibition Centre in October 1977. Brilliant night!

http://www.themeninblack.co.uk/galle...508&fullsize=1

RIP Dave..
    Thanks for those great top rank gigs, 'Rattus Norvegicus' and especially your musical contribution to the punk/new wave scene

Top Rank Swansea 1977. Two numbers in they stop warning people to stop throwing bottles and spitting. Start again more bottles and the next you see Burnel kung-fu kick flying into the mosh-pit and the rest of the band, roadies and security following his lead. End of gig!

The Stranglers were a bit older than your average punk band and that may explain why they seemed a bit more tuneful at times than the others. I liked their output during the punk era with No More Heroes probably being my favourite single of the time, but Golden Brown a few years later was a level up from those earlier singles and showed Dave Greenfield was a serious talent.

RIP

First Team

His keyboard skills gave the band a distinctive sound that set them apart from the other punk (ish) bands of thar era.
    Sadly, I never got around to seeing them live but had booked tickets to see them later this year with the Ruts DC.

RIP Dave

Your evident keyboard talent backed up by, what must have been once upon a time, assiduous practise, differentiated you and The Stranglers from other punk bands. Your speedy arpeggios showed a technique far beyond keyboard players in most bands.

Saw them in the late 70,s in Bristol, they were excellent full of raw energy and great songs. Then saw them a few times more recently in last 3-5 years or so , minus Hugh Cornwall obviously, and they were still a very good band , excellent night out for around £20 a ticket, the replacement lead singer, big bald guy who’s been with them a long time now, is very good and always fun seeing these bands in tight small venues with a great atmosphere

The first band I got into "on my own". I never saw them live. (I've seen Hugh Cornwell though) I was too young to see them in the Top Rank and by the time they played in Sofia Gardens, I didn't buy a ticket. I don't know why. They were my favorite band in 1977. Maybe I'd moved on a bit by then. I still listen to the Raven from time-to-time. RIP Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I saw them twice. Second time was at the Brixton Academy last year as a birthday present for my wife, who is a big fan (….and holds Golden Brown as one of her favourite songs ever) and the first was in about 1976/77 supporting Deke Leonard's Man at Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall. Bit of a gap in between.
    .... and the Leas Cliff Hall is still going strong (.... well maybe not at the moment).
    In the last year or so, I've seen UB40, Travis, Graham Nash, Paul Young, & Steve Hackett play there.
    Paul Carrack should have played there last month

Currently playing The Raven. Haven’t played it in decades and enjoying it.

The best Dave Greenfield track in the early days. https://youtu.be/jqfqVDHNW6c

Fav band for years, saw them in 79 on a Wednesday night in the Top Rank, aged 15. JJB still jumping into the crowd to give someone a kicking even then!

The Raven is a magnificent song , with fantastic bass and of course keyboards

The intro longships sets the tone

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    .... and the Leas Cliff Hall is still going strong (.... well maybe not at the moment).
    In the last year or so, I've seen UB40, Travis, Graham Nash, Paul Young, & Steve Hackett play there.
    Paul Carrack should have played there last month
    It was certainly a good venue back then. Think I saw Uriah Heep, Curved Air, Hawkwind, Groundhogs and a good few others all before I was 15! Last time I was there was probably 1978.