+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has travel restrictions been lifted in certain areas?

Has travel restrictions been lifted in certain areas?

Because the amount of traffic on the M4 has definitely doubled since last week. I’ve been working on the new hospital in Cwmbran the past 18 months so when all this kicked off we’ve been flat out trying to get it open - the first few weeks travelling was like the walking dead.
    Not any more!!
    Although not back to normal in it’s entirety, I’m very surprised by the volume of traffic out there this week.

Re: Has travel restrictions been lifted in certain areas?

I work in the office which is based in town 2 days a week. Each week everything seems a little busier than the previous.

Still very quiet of course by usual standards but the difference each week is noticeable on my journey and then walk through Bute Park.

I only go out once a week to shop and walk I think the lock down is beginning to tell there were a lot more folk about last weekend . I have Italian and Spanish friends and family and they laugh at our alleged locked down , spoke to one the other day and in those countries you could not go out other than shop once a week , move outside no more than 20 yards for ones property , as it cannot be totally policed one can only assume they have better ,stronger disciplines and behaviors ,but i'm sure its all the governments fault here in our lands ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I only go out once a week to shop and walk I think the lock down is beginning to tell there were a lot more folk about last weekend . I have Italian and Spanish friends and family and they laugh at our alleged locked down , spoke to one the other day and in those countries you could not go out other than shop once a week , move outside no more than 20 yards for ones property , as it cannot be totally policed one can only assume they have better ,stronger disciplines and behaviors ,but i'm sure its all the governments fault here in our lands ?
    My friend lives in Lucca in Tuscany. Police stop anyone out in the street and question them as to why they are out, and that's they way it should be.

I had to drive into Treorchy today for my INR blood test after it was high last week (it was within the target range this time) and decided to kill two birds with one stone by doing some food shopping in Tesco's Aberdare. Traffic was a bit more than last week in Treorchy, but what was more noticeable was that there were a lot more people walking about. The drive over the mountain to Aberdare was a little quieter than the last time I went three weeks ago, but that was on a beautiful afternoon and this was a cloudy morning.

I notice they were getting quite concerned about car levels on the daily briefing just now.

Definitely more traffic around cardiff this week than last few

There is some wanker on a scrambler still going up and down the street now.Hope he falls off.

Definitely more traffic around Aberdare. Been out twice a day this week just for a jolly and there's more cars on the road.

The graph on transport usage during today's govt briefing shows a trend upwards in car usage.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    My friend lives in Lucca in Tuscany. Police stop anyone out in the street and question them as to why they are out, and that's they way it should be.
    There's not nearly enough police around. With the best part of two million new Universal Credit claims made during the past six weeks there's a huge pool of people for the government to recruit from to be employed as social distancing monitors whose task it could be to issue fines for those adjudged to have committed flagrant breaches and also to question any citizen out and about concerning their movements, while the police can return to their usual duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    There's not nearly enough police around. With the best part of two million new Universal Credit claims made during the past six weeks there's a huge pool of people for the government to recruit from to be employed as social distancing monitors whose task it could be to issue fines for those adjudged to have committed flagrant breaches and also to question any citizen out and about concerning their movements, while the police can return to their usual duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yeah, but imagine how much it would cost the government in tape measures. Still, I suppose you’ve got to speculate to accumulate.

we are not really in lockdown though

I walk the dogs every day, cross the road to stay 2M away of anyone is walking towards us, today i spotted 2 lots of builders, 3 guys laying block paving and a window cleaner, looks like we are returning to work slowly anyway

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we are not really in lockdown though

I walk the dogs every day, cross the road to stay 2M away of anyone is walking towards us, today i spotted 2 lots of builders, 3 guys laying block paving and a window cleaner, looks like we are returning to work slowly anyway
    That's whats happening, McDonald's and Ikea going back to work, Barratts getting sites ready, Pets for homes already open, it's only pubs and restaurants that will be shut soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    That's whats happening, McDonald's and Ikea going back to work, Barratts getting sites ready, Pets for homes already open, it's only pubs and restaurants that will be shut soon.
    The building site across the road from us reopened last week. No sign of social distancing there. Diagonally across the road are having a large delivery of decking. Gardener out doing someone's front garden. More traffic outside. Britain is beginning to drift back to work.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Definitely more traffic around Aberdare. Been out twice a day this week just for a jolly and there's more cars on the road.
    I saw it!!!

Italy and Spain's death rates are higher than UK. True, none are close to Germany, but our death rate is lower than those two countries.

It’s been brutal for Italy, and it’s not easy to see how they can continue in their usual cultural ways with small cafes and bars, heavily reliant on tourism also. The country was already in a bit of a state economically, they are in for a rough year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Not a holiday destination for Phillip Scofield then.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s been brutal for Italy, and it’s not easy to see how they can continue in their usual cultural ways with small cafes and bars, heavily reliant on tourism also. The country was already in a bit of a state economically, they are in for a rough year or two.
    One can't help thinking that the EU will become increasingly difficult to hold together in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Italy and Spain's death rates are higher than UK. True, none are close to Germany, but our death rate is lower than those two countries.
    Indeed, Spain don't appear to count care home deaths and Italy's excess figures only go to end of March, I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Because the amount of traffic on the M4 has definitely doubled since last week. I’ve been working on the new hospital in Cwmbran the past 18 months so when all this kicked off we’ve been flat out trying to get it open - the first few weeks travelling was like the walking dead.
    Not any more!!
    Although not back to normal in it’s entirety, I’m very surprised by the volume of traffic out there this week.
    It's partly being lifted on Monday in a 5 stage plan, we have to move on although many brits are still scared to go back to work, it could be a slow return?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    It's partly being lifted on Monday in a 5 stage plan, we have to move on although many brits are still scared to go back to work, it could be a slow return?
    How does everyonre know what this wonderful plan is when iut hasn't been announced yet. I know the trade unions objected to part of it but that was'nt laid down it was just a consultation that they were invited to in confidence.
    so where is this plan stated? I'd love to read it