+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancel all of the 2020-21 Season NOW

Cancel all of the 2020-21 Season NOW

This is the obvious solution.

Pick things up quietly next January with fans allowed and slowly wrap up this season.
    It can go in the record books as the 2019-21 season.

This makes perfect sense to me.

Discuss

Re: Cancel all of the 2020-21 Season NOW

Does make sense especially with euros and world cup can make a more relaxed schedule.

However clubs are duty bound to pay players a lot of money and most of their revenue comes from television and not the people coming through gate. Would be massive loss in revenue and would kill lots of clubs.

Football clubs are businesses and have to act as such

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Does make sense especially with euros and world cup can make a more relaxed schedule.

However clubs are duty bound to pay players a lot of money and most of their revenue comes from television and not the people coming through gate. Would be massive loss in revenue and would kill lots of clubs.

Football clubs are businesses and have to act as such

At this moment in time, some people are having to dip into their savings to just survive.

Don’t tell me, that the overpaid pigs bladder kickers, haven’t got a few pennies in the kitty to fall back on.

PS:— I agree with cancelling next season and instead finishing this one in it’s entirety

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    At this moment in time, some people are having to dip into their savings to just survive.

Don’t tell me, that the overpaid pigs bladder kickers, haven’t got a few pennies in the kitty to fall back on.

PS:— I agree with cancelling next season and instead finishing this one in it’s entirety
    Tha vast majority of players nowhere near overpaid, many of them live to the limits of their wage with the same commitments as the rest of the population. Mortgages, loans etc at the same ratio of their wage as people in other industries, some earning more than them, others not but the ratio is still the same. Footballers have one massive drawback though, a 28 year old player is most probably at this moment earning the highest wage he’ll ever achieve in his whole life whereas in other walks of life you’d expect your wage to increase over the years with natural cost of living rises. The seasons pass by so quickly, as us old buggers can testify, and all over a sudden the player is 32/33 and unwanted, to lose a season or two’s wages would be a massive blow, for every millionaire superstar there are many more plying their trade for the likes of Rochdale, Newport, Walsall, Morecambe etc. The run of the mill pro has maybe a 10/12 year time slot, if he’s lucky, to financially prepare for the rest of his life, very daunting for a young man.

Unfortunately money talks so I can’t see the whole of next season being written off.

Depending on any resurgence of the virus I can see next season going well into the summer, so I don’t hold much hope for the Euros next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

They have a contract from their employer to be paid millions of pound. Why should they?

They don't need the money but they are entitled to it

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    They have a contract from their employer to be paid millions of pound. Why should they?

They don't need the money but they are entitled to it
    They can’t get money off someone who goes bust !!

Steve, I know what you’re saying about lower league players and I will admit I was mainly targeting the fat-cats.

If this horrible epidemic carries on into next season, I think a lot of 2nd division and maybe some lower 1st division teams may look to go part time.
    Football has been living off overdrafts for years and this epidemic will maybe make football come into the real world

I d go for that unfortunately we are controlled by the big boy league called the Premiership which is a world wide money spinning watched league that has no competition , that is why some Europe leagues like France cancel ,as no one is watching or paying as much attention to their product than ours .

The problem you have is awaiting the Premiership plan , if they play on neutral grounds , clubs at the bottom will not vote for it unless they agree a no relegation rule , if that happens as Rick Parry states " lawyers of Championship clubs are going to get rich" if no promotion is allowed .

The other issues are how will you test every player every time he attended the club and get a result for the test before he attends again its not a one test option it has to happen each time .

One other issue which may become an issue are the players wanting to actually play in the UK especially overseas players will they actually want to return ?? I hear Pedro at Chelsea's is not keen ,is anyone going to ask them ??

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tha vast majority of players nowhere near overpaid, many of them live to the limits of their wage with the same commitments as the rest of the population. Mortgages, loans etc at the same ratio of their wage as people in other industries, some earning more than them, others not but the ratio is still the same. Footballers have one massive drawback though, a 28 year old player is most probably at this moment earning the highest wage he’ll ever achieve in his whole life whereas in other walks of life you’d expect your wage to increase over the years with natural cost of living rises. The seasons pass by so quickly, as us old buggers can testify, and all over a sudden the player is 32/33 and unwanted, to lose a season or two’s wages would be a massive blow, for every millionaire superstar there are many more plying their trade for the likes of Rochdale, Newport, Walsall, Morecambe etc. The run of the mill pro has maybe a 10/12 year time slot, if he’s lucky, to financially prepare for the rest of his life, very daunting for a young man.
    Stop being so level headed, this is the internet

It does amaze me how so many people who are genuine football fans get sucked into the "They're all overpaid prima donna millionaires narrative"

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

Pick things up quietly next January with fans allowed and slowly wrap up this season.

Discuss
    Being that in all likelyhood there won't be a vaccine by then, why do you think it'll be safe for hundreds of thousands of fans across the country to travel and congregate in stadiums in January?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

It does amaze me how so many people who are genuine football fans get sucked into the "They're all overpaid prima donna millionaires narrative"
    And they pay to watch them! I wouldnt give my money to an institution that i despised.

Whenever I see a thread title with NOW, I always know who wrote it

Very nicely put. These players are also very likely to be on short contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And they pay to watch them! I wouldnt give my money to an institution that i despised.
    I know, it’s very often the case that footballers are targeted and weirdly by people who love the game, strange. Thing is the majority of players we’ve watched and supported over the last 30/40/50 years with the City most probably won’t earn as much in total in their 40 odd years of ‘working life ‘ as the majority of us.

I know, it’s very often the case that footballers are targeted and weirdly by people who love the game, strange. Thing is the majority of players we’ve watched and supported over the last 30/40/50 years with the City most probably won’t earn as much in total in their 40 odd years of ‘working life ‘ as the majority of us.
    I don't think that a lot of football fans do love the game, loads of people i speak to who support The City don't really have an opinion on football apart from the obvious stuff.

Discuss
    There are only 9 games left in the EPL. That's not going to be enough to satisfy fans and especially SKY and the clubs.

There are some gross stories of players earnings , like overpaid CEO's , civil servants , it doesn't sit well with folk who don't have much .

as this goes on, each week that passes by, we have to be thinking about cancelling it, though you know the greedy league will not be happy with that

i bet the Norwich are itching for the season to be binned off

Talk of playing less than 45minutes each way, games played behind closed doors and in neutral stadiums and players fearful of playing (and God knows what their insurers think). It's looking more and more impractical to continue the season in the next couple of months....

Discuss
    When you say quietly you mean 1 or 2 game a month. The championship has 9 games left in the 19/20 season.

Perfect then.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There are some gross stories of players earnings , like overpaid CEO's , civil servants , it doesn't sit well with folk who don't have much .
    Yes some, not all

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    When you say quietly you mean 1 or 2 game a month. The championship has 9 games left in the 19/20 season.
    I think a lot of people have forgotten this, there really aren't that many games left of the season, the way some people are going on you'd think we had 20 games left

Banned

Discuss

Agreed. I don't understand why starting 2020/21 is more important than finished the almost complete 2019/20. It is even more bizarre when you consider that 2020/21 could be partially played behind closed doors (if not entirely) AND its conclusion can not be guaranteed either.

I think a lot of people have forgotten this, there really aren't that many games left of the season, the way some people are going on you'd think we had 20 games left
    How many teams have their season finished already? If Liverpool win their next two they should be awarded trophy and not have to play again, there must be some examples of teams who can only finish mid-table or in relegation spots as well who don't really need to play as well.