+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: This NHS app

This NHS app

What's everybody thinking about that then?

I'm all for a track and trace system, and I've only just started reading into this app so am learning as I go but there's a few things that make me uneasy about it.

Firstly it's failed the cyber and security tests that it needs to pass to be included in the NHS app library https://www.hsj.co.uk/story.aspx?storyCode=7027564

Also the reasons why we're using this app and not the Google and Apple one feel a little bit like the UK's "we'll go our own way with herd immunity" approach all over again, not least because it's got Cumming's greasy hands all over it, his brother's company is apparently involved in the design of the app (?). This article explains that quite well, and also why it won't work a lot of the time https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/0...ronavirus_app/

The thought of that squarefaced little toad Cummings hijacking a national crisis to harvest yet more data makes me furious but I also want to do my bit if it helps long term.

What does everybody else think?

Re: This NHS app

How much would apple and google charge?

They are the experts they should do it for free, this is a Worldwide problem and they get good tax treatments around the World?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    How much would apple and google charge?

They are the experts they should do it for free, this is a Worldwide problem and they get good tax treatments around the World?
    I haven't seen anything to suggest they're charging for it, the fact that they're working together on it suggests that it's not a profit making exercise

Reading that article I would have concerns about using it

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I haven't seen anything to suggest they're charging for it, the fact that they're working together on it suggests that it's not a profit making exercise
    Use that then, bound to be better they are the best in the world at tracking type apps?

I'm all for a track and trace system, and I've only just started reading into this app so am learning as I go but there's a few things that make me uneasy about it.

Firstly it's failed the cyber and security tests that it needs to pass to be included in the NHS app library https://www.hsj.co.uk/story.aspx?storyCode=7027564

Also the reasons why we're using this app and not the Google and Apple one feel a little bit like the UK's "we'll go our own way with herd immunity" approach all over again, not least because it's got Cumming's greasy hands all over it, his brother's company is apparently involved in the design of the app (?). This article explains that quite well, and also why it won't work a lot of the time https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/0...ronavirus_app/

The thought of that squarefaced little toad Cummings hijacking a national crisis to harvest yet more data makes me furious but I also want to do my bit if it helps long term.

What the hell is ‘the register’ and why would anyone believe anything thats in that article. The person who wrote it probably belongs to the David Icke school of nutters and conspiracy theorists. At the end of the day it comes down to whether the people of this country want to get back to some sort of normal life, help get rid of this virus and save lives. If they don't then fine, don't get the app on their phone and while their at it, don't have the vaccine either when it is available. Me, I know what I will be doing as soon as the app is available and if I have to give up a small degree of my privacy to do my bit then that's a minuscule price to pay in the general scheme of things. PS. The online article was written by a contributor in San Francisco - enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What the hell is ‘the register’ and why would anyone believe anything thats in that article. The person who wrote it probably belongs to the David Icke school of nutters and conspiracy theorists. At the end of the day it comes down to whether the people of this country want to get back to some sort of normal life, help get rid of this virus and save lives. If they don't then fine, don't get the app on their phone and while their at it, don't have the vaccine either when it is available. Me, I know what I will be doing as soon as the app is available and if I have to give up a small degree of my privacy to do my bit then that's a minuscule price to pay in the general scheme of things.
    The Register is a well known, well regarded tech news site. It's hardly David Icke. Do some research before damning a credible site.

mmmm... a word of warning...once in place...

Big Brother.jpg

As this in an NHS thread I wonder if anyone else has ever won a dudenum on the Heath Lottery.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    mmmm... a word of warning...once in place...

Big Brother.jpg
    Room lol....

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    The Register is a well known, well regarded tech news site. It's hardly David Icke. Do some research before damning a credible site.
    Credible ? So says who ? It is obviously trying to create headlines and destabilise efforts to get the app up and running for its own headline making purposes. The article is drivel.

Credible ? So says who ? It is obviously trying to create headlines and destabilise efforts to get the app up and running for its own headline making purposes. The article is drivel.
    And what are your qualifications that enable you to come to such a conclusion?

this account must be a wind up

I think it will be pointless. Nowhere near enough people will download it for starters.

A significant percentage of the population either still haven't managed to grasp the rudimentary elements of social distancing or simply can't be bothered to follow the guidelines - something I witness every single working day without fail. Are people like them really going to have any interest in an app like this? I somehow doubt it.

Does everyone carry a mobile phone with them all the time? I certainly don't. Does everyone's phone work perfectly all the time? Mine certainly doesn't. Does everyone enjoy downloading and messing about with apps? I definitely don't. Of course, there will also be a significant percentage of people who will be worried about privacy issues - not something that bothers me especially, but they may be right regardless of my feelings.

It's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned - a complete waste of time and money that could be far better spent on more realistic goals.

Who says so?

Every fvcker in the tech industry that reads it... I'd suggest you read it but it might be a bit above your level...

There are privacy concerns in this app, absolutely. Are people believing Apple / Google are bastions of privacy? Arf!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think it will be pointless. Nowhere near enough people will download it for starters.

A significant percentage of the population either still haven't managed to grasp the rudimentary elements of social distancing or simply can't be bothered to follow the guidelines - something I witness every single working day without fail. Are people like them really going to have any interest in an app like this? I somehow doubt it.

Does everyone carry a mobile phone with them all the time? I certainly don't. Does everyone's phone work perfectly all the time? Mine certainly doesn't. Does everyone enjoy downloading and messing about with apps? I definitely don't. Of course, there will also be a significant percentage of people who will be worried about privacy issues - not something that bothers me especially, but they may be right regardless of my feelings.

It's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned - a complete waste of time and money that could be far better spent on more realistic goals.
    Whilst I agree people are definitely not sticking to the rules with social distancing I think if it is well publicised enough, enough people will download it. A lot of people own smartphones and the majority of them will have them on them most of the time I think. You don't need everyone to have it just enough of people.

Banned

I think I'd be more suspicious of sharing data with an app devised by Apple or Google to be honest.

We are in a situation that is comparable to being in a war. At such times, the question of privacy becomes a bit more blurred. I am going to subscribe to this app because I think we need to provide data points. Similarly I have signed up to the ZOE app, and I use an app that uses my phone's processing power to crunch calculations for the Imperial college in their research on Covid and also cancer.

The other side of the coin is that, if this is developed by a bunch of IT Cowboys, there could well be backdoors into getting personal data, and it could prove to be a complete app of horseshit. IT and NHS have never mixed in happy circles. All things considered, though, I think we have to go with it and provide the data to get the country moving again - but I will do it with reservations like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Whilst I agree people are definitely not sticking to the rules with social distancing I think if it is well publicised enough, enough people will download it. A lot of people own smartphones and the majority of them will have them on them most of the time I think. You don't need everyone to have it just enough of people.
    I wonder what percentage of the population would need to download it to make it genuinely worthwhile?

Personally, I'm not at all comfortable with something I firmly believe is pie in the sky from the outset being used by this hopeless government as an excuse to either extend the lockdown or as an excuse for a higher death rate (ie: "well, they wouldn't download the app, so it's the public's fault.").

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    We are in a situation that is comparable to being in a war.
    Utter bollocks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Because you have quoted him, I can see what he has written.

The Lone Gunman, whilst bemoaning the fact that the rest of the population haven't grasped the "rudimentary elements of social distancing" was on here espousing the idea that posters could pop around their friends' gaffs for a drink and a chat. He called it common sense. It is amusing that he qualifies his theory with anecdotal evidence.

The ZOE app has 2.9 million downloads at present. This app aims for about 35 million - 45 million downloads (60% of the population). There are enough people who are skeptical of data gathering (as they are with vaccines) to ensure this app will not be 100% effective. But I think there will be enough data points from a significant percentage of people to ensure this is a success - as there have been in South Korea and Singapore among others.

I suspect quite a lot of research has happened with regards to how to get this app to millions of people. If it is touted as a tool to save the NHS then that is one heck of a tagline.

My fear, though, is that this app is being rolled out too late - i.e. after we hit the peak. I think that the app will become downloaded more if we find ourselves in a second wave. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Government went back to Apple/Google for a more effective app, based on Central Government's track record on IT projects.

Because you have quoted him, I can see what he has written.
    Ha ha! Who do you think you're fooling?

I will not be downloading any such apps

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I will not be downloading any such apps
    Out of interest, why?

We are in a situation that is comparable to being in a war.
    They’re both gone now but my mother who was bombed out twice and my father who spent about four years away with Viscount Slim’s forgotten army during WW2 may disagree with this statement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    They’re both gone now but my mother who was bombed out twice and my father who spent about four years away with Viscount Slim’s forgotten army during WW2 may disagree with this statement.
    I didn't mean literally, I meant in terms of the actions being taken by Governments.

Of course people are free to disagree. However, I think that with 25% of working people being furloughed, and the effects on the country as a whole, then if the Government need certain data from us, they should get it. Unless, of course, we should stumble blindly into a second wave because of woeful data gathering and inaction.