+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any Builders on here - guttering/downpipe question

Any Builders on here - guttering/downpipe question

thanks

Re: Any Builders on here - guttering/downpipe question

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    thanks
    I used to send all these questions to " the Alien ", god rest his soul

anyways, ive done loads of gutters, new and cleaning them, so whats your question

thanks
    As a general rule of thumb, guttering horizontal and downpipe vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

anyways, ive done loads of gutters, new and cleaning them, so whats your question

That’d be to easy, you gotta guess

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, guttering horizontal and downpipe vertical.

Approximately a 25mm fall over 5 metres is not horizontal

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I'm finding your humour quite draining....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm finding your humour quite draining....
    Well you know, I gotta pipe up

Cheers. Just wondering if you've ever fitted a 6m downpipe from the bottom with ladders/scaffolding. Can you push up say 2 sections up into the gutter outlet ? Obviously then fix top 2 in place and the 3rd cut to fit to ground level.

Cheers. Just wondering if you've ever fitted a 6m downpipe from the bottom with ladders/scaffolding. Can you push up say 2 sections up into the gutter outlet ? Obviously then fix top 2 in place and the 3rd cut to fit to ground level.
    Yup, you can do that. The only problem you may have is if there's a swan neck at the top where the pipe goes into the gutter outlet. You'll only have one of these if there's a soffit on your house. It would be tricky, unless you glued them up first.

6 metres is high, most houses are 5 at the most and you can buy a 5.5 metre length at most builders merchants.

Is it going into a soakaway or do you need a shoe at the bottom, pointing to the drain.

If you’re attempting this on your own (good luck), fix the shoe at the bottom first.

Then drop a string line from either the soffit, or if outlet is flat to the wall, from this.

Fix pipe brackets equally, at no more than 1200 centres, along your string line.

Take string line away and fix pipe.

If you need a Sean neck, there’s some down the lake , no seriously, if you need a swan neck to get around the soffit, I would advise you seek help, as it’s awkward off a ladder on your own (actually shouldn’t be attempted)

6 metres is high, most houses are 5 at the most and you can buy a 5.5 metre length at most builders merchants.

Is it going into a soakaway or do you need a shoe at the bottom, pointing to the drain.

If you’re attempting this on your own (good luck), fix the shoe at the bottom first.

Then drop a string line from either the soffit, or if outlet is flat to the wall, from this.

Fix pipe brackets equally, at no more than 1200 centres, along your string line.

If you need a Sean neck, there’s some down the lake , no seriously, if you need a swan neck to get around the soffit, I would advise you seek help, as it’s awkward off a ladder on your own (actually shouldn’t be attempted)
    Just get the missus to foot the ladder

Sean Morrison neck?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Sean Morrison neck?
    Bloody iPhone with predictive text or maybe FAT FINGERS

It’s Fat fingers, just noticed e next to w

Bloody iPhone with predictive text or maybe FAT FINGERS

It’s Fat fingers, just noticed e next to w
    Wasy donw

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, you can do that. The only problem you may have is if there's a swan neck at the top where the pipe goes into the gutter outlet. You'll only have one of these if there's a soffit on your house. It would be tricky, unless you glued them up first.
    No, it's a straight down one so should be OK

No, it's an existing pipe that someone must have knocked out, so the gutter outlet is already directly above the drain, and fortunately it's not a swan neck. It'll save me a few bob because at that height [6m]most will want to put up a scaffold. I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Thanks.

No, it's a straight down one so should be OK
    Crack on then mate, just make sure someone foots the ladders for you, especially when you're drilling as you'll be pushing away from the wall.

No, it's an existing pipe that someone must have knocked out, so the gutter outlet is already directly above the drain, and fortunately it's not a swan neck. It'll save me a few bob because at that height [6m]most will want to put up a scaffold. I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Thanks.
    yes, if the top bracket is still in place you might be able to not even go up a ladder, get the downpipe and a joint, cut the downpipe enough that you can move the upper bigger bit into place through the top bracket, slide it up then fit the bottom piece under it, most council house gutters are like that up the Colcot and Gibby in Barry, as i often couldnt be bothered to get the ladders off the van

anyone would do it of ladders, 6 M isnt that high

you should just be able to slide if back into place

International

really?? Are you on the level?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Crack on then mate, just make sure someone foots the ladders for you, especially when you're drilling as you'll be pushing away from the wall.

yes, if the top bracket is still in place you might be able to not even go up a ladder, get the downpipe and a joint, cut the downpipe enough that you can move the upper bigger bit into place through the top bracket, slide it up then fit the bottom piece under it, most council house gutters are like that up the Colcot and Gibby in Barry, as i often couldnt be bothered to get the ladders off the van

anyone would do it of ladders, 6 M isnt that high

you should just be able to slide if back into place
    Cheers. That's what I'm thinking.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Cheers. That's what I'm thinking.

It’s a pipe dream