+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THE SAME ?

DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THE SAME ?

This may feel a strange thing to say, which I suppose can be attributed to a certain melancholy with the current situation and missing my grandchildren terribly.

But.......because the unthinkable has happened, does anyone else think of these other "nah it'll never happen" doomsday scenarios such as cataclysmic meteorite strikes as much closer to the realms of possibility than before this virus pandemic.

Obviously there is no sane reason to link these things together but I'm guessing most people are experiencing a certain vulnerability nowadays which was hitherto missing from their lives.

Re: DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THE SAME ?

I never thought someone like Trump could be the most powerful man on the planet, elected by democratic process, I never thought Leicester would win the Premier league, I never thought I'd live through a global pandemic which would practically shut the world down.

Who knows.

Aliens next I reckon.

In a word, no.

The thing is, a global pandemic of this nature had not only happened before, but something like this has been predicted by the scientists and medical experts for many years. Indeed, the predictions have been for a pandemic that is more deadly than this one appears to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Aliens next I reckon.
    Hopefully, that won't be doomsday scenario. Indeed, it might be something that would improve the world we live in.

Having said that, if any self-respecting alien landed on this planet right now, said 'take me to your leader' and was presented with either Trump or Johnson, the likelihood is they'd just think 'forget it' and bugger off again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    This may feel a strange thing to say, which I suppose can be attributed to a certain melancholy with the current situation and missing my grandchildren terribly.

But.......because the unthinkable has happened, does anyone else think of these other "nah it'll never happen" doomsday scenarios such as cataclysmic meteorite strikes as much closer to the realms of possibility than before this virus pandemic.

Obviously there is no sane reason to link these things together but I'm guessing most people are experiencing a certain vulnerability nowadays which was hitherto missing from their lives.

It is understandable, to a degree. But, one event happening does not make the others you have listed more likely. It also won't improve your chances of winning the lottery.

Aliens. I firmly believe that, at some stage in this universe, intelligent life has existed elsewhere. Maybe not at present, maybe millions of years ago. However, the chances of us ever crossing paths are slim, and that is likely to be a good thing. If an alien race has the technology to travel to a distant solar system hundreds or thousands of light years away, then we are likely to be nothing more than a planet of guinea pigs to them.

If, however, they turned out to be nice guys - would their existence mean an end to religion? Or, would the aliens become a new religion. I think I am happy enough not knowing, although I'd be excited as anything if we found some way of communicating with a planet bound species like ourselves.

I wouldnt be suprised if countries /terrorist are investing in producing killer viruses in a case of war, rather than millions on weaponry.

The only thing I think about is "what happens when it happens again"? Should it survive the next election, I wouldn't trust the current adminstraction to take any heed.

In more than word ( to the best of my restricted abilities )

Feeling different is the new norm , as we progress as a species we become more vulnerable ,lets hope Musk get the Mars plan off the ground quickly. ( is there life on mars ?)

I am just missing instant custard !!!!

Every time I travel to Abertawe (only when necessary), I get a feeling that I’ve taken a step into “The Walking Dead”

I feel the same as i always do, this hasn't made me reflect on anything really. Although i can safely say that i think that i may feel a sense of Triumph and progression when the local Greggs opens up. Never thought i'd think that.

International

Gregs morning bacon rolls, best thing that happened to white van man for 20 years ......mmmmmm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Gregs morning bacon rolls, best thing that happened to white van man for 20 years ......mmmmmm
    Really? One stale bap with one rasher of bacon. Get to a proper cafe. Cheaper, better bread, more bacon. You'll thank me when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Really? One stale bap with one rasher of bacon. Get to a proper cafe. Cheaper, better bread, more bacon. You'll thank me when this is over.
    Greggs food is appalling, those sausage rolls are the equivalent to sucking fat through a sock. Old school Cafe for me all day.

something like this has been predicted by the scientists and medical experts for many years.
    In the future we have largescale impact of climate change to come. It's scary/worrying enough to think about what is relatively certain before considering what is unlikely.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In a word, no.

The thing is, a global pandemic of this nature had not only happened before, but something like this has been predicted by the scientists and medical experts for many years. Indeed, the predictions have been for a pandemic that is more deadly than this one appears to be.

If another pandemic doesn’t catch us in the next 3-5 year cycle we’ll be hit in a big way by the next iteration. China doesn’t seem very interested in taking action on the root causes of these viruses, SERS, MARS, Swne flu all came out of similar scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    If another pandemic doesn’t catch us in the next 3-5 year cycle we’ll be hit in a big way by the next iteration. China doesn’t seem very interested in taking action on the root causes of these viruses, SERS, MARS, Swne flu all came out of similar scenarios
    What scenario?

In a word, no.

I agree we knew this would happen in one form or another, but I thought it would be more like a different strain of flu, so the death toll and effects it's had on our lives has surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    I agree we knew this would happen in one form or another, but I thought it would be more like a different strain of flu, so the death toll and effects it's had on our lives has surprised me.
    I've kinda thought about it the other way around - I've always believed that when a pandemic like this one hits us, the effects in terms of the number of deaths would be far greater. I'm not being complacent, it's obviously too early to draw any firm conclusions and the measures that have been taken around the world have obviously worked to a fair degree, but it does seem that this pandemic hasn't been quite as grim for the human race as it might have been. At least not yet.

Hopefully, that won't be doomsday scenario. Indeed, it might be something that would improve the world we live in.

Having said that, if any self-respecting alien landed on this planet right now, said 'take me to your leader' and was presented with either Trump or Johnson, the likelihood is they'd just think 'forget it' and bugger off again.
    Hopefully they’ll decide to stick about and provide some entertainment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBT68a56s70

A large scale drought across Europe may be a more realistic prospect leading to rapid rises in food costs and civil unrest as crops dry out in the fields. That and a never ending winter due to ash from a super volcano. Or a hurricane (a proper one, in defence of Michael Fish) hitting the UK. Maybe the Thames flood barrier will fail and central London flood during rush hour. Wouldn't want to be on the underground then. Plenty of more realistic scenarios compared to aliens landing or being hit by a meteorite. For anyone interested in such matters, Coventry Uni have a good degree course on disaster and emergency planning.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    A large scale drought across Europe may be a more realistic prospect leading to rapid rises in food costs and civil unrest as crops dry out in the fields. That and a never ending winter due to ash from a super volcano. Or a hurricane (a proper one, in defence of Michael Fish) hitting the UK. Maybe the Thames flood barrier will fail and central London flood during rush hour. Wouldn't want to be on the underground then. Plenty of more realistic scenarios compared to aliens landing or being hit by a meteorite. For anyone interested in such matters, Coventry Uni have a good degree course on disaster and emergency planning.
    Leeds might go up!!!!!!

The meteorite strike was just an example of course but yes the never ending winter caused by a supervolcano eruption and the subsequent repercussions is another one. The melting of polar icecaps and the disastrous rise in sea levels is another that springs to mind. Think I'll go for a lie down !

A major drought in Africa could result in mass migration to the Mediterranean coast and more boats arriving in Southern Europe than the authorities can deal with.