+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I am not a fan of these 'generation topics' as if people can be stereotyped by what age they are.

It does not matter if you were a teenager in the 60's 80's or 2010's there have always been delinquents and have always been some good eggs and a whole bunch of kids somewhere in the middle.

I know some old people who are saints and I look up to, and also know old people who act like entitled **** wits.

Another one I love is when people try and say, oh in my generation we didn't do that or have that, everyone thinks their childhood was the best and every generation after them can not compare, news flash, your parents were saying the exact same thing to you, and your grandparents saying it to them, and the wheel goes on.
    of course you do not like the music, or fashion or films today, the same way adults did not like the music you listening to when you were 15.
    I don't think that my childhood was better, infact, alot of it was shit, it was quite violent where i grew up and everyone was eternally skint. The biggest difference was that we went outside and explored, built things and delegated, built up strength and immunity as well as practical skills and face to face social skills. There isn't so much of that today.

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Really? The Central Bar’s age group is older than the 18-35 bracket, in my experience the younger element seem to swerve Wetherspoons.
    I dunno I've seen the opposite, its cheap and young people don't have money

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I dunno I've seen the opposite, its cheap and young people don't have money
    With the demise of the traditional suburban local pub the age group of town drinkers has risen. Also the price war has seen the ‘professional ’ older drinkers frequent The Live Lounge early evening then move on to the equally cheap Rummer, Borough, Old Arcade or Queens Vaults, I know, I have a dabble myself now and again.

With the demise of the traditional suburban local pub the age group of town drinkers has risen. Also the price war has seen the ‘professional ’ older drinkers frequent The Live Lounge early evening then move on to the equally cheap Rummer, Borough, Old Arcade or Queens Vaults, I know, I have a dabble myself now and again.
    I'd add that the younger generation don't seem to drink as much as the oldies..

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that my childhood was better, infact, alot of it was shit, it was quite violent where i grew up and everyone was eternally skint. The biggest difference was that we went outside and explored, built things and delegated, built up strength and immunity as well as practical skills and face to face social skills. There isn't so much of that today.
    exactly, everyone's experience in unique to them. I am sure there was also a lot of kids in your school, who did not have good social skills, and spent all their time after school sitting in their room reading comic books or something.

yes there are kids these days, who may have an unhealthy relationship with computer games ect, but surely these are just the same kids who, wouldn't have fitted in 30 years ago anyway?

I work with childrens camps in the US, and they often go 6 weeks a time away from home, without a single electronic item, and I mean thousands of kids from a mix of backgrounds and countries around the world, living in cabins in the woods doing activities I could only have dreamed of when I was a child. they are also kinder and more compassionate than anyone I grew up with when I was their age.

I just get defensive when i see our youth critised, when I know today's world in not a great time to be a kid right now, and most of them really are trying their best.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    exactly, everyone's experience in unique to them. I am sure there was also a lot of kids in your school, who did not have good social skills, and spent all their time after school sitting in their room reading comic books or something.

yes there are kids these days, who may have an unhealthy relationship with computer games ect, but surely these are just the same kids who, wouldn't have fitted in 30 years ago anyway?

I work with childrens camps in the US, and they often go 6 weeks a time away from home, without a single electronic item, and I mean thousands of kids from a mix of backgrounds and countries around the world, living in cabins in the woods doing activities I could only have dreamed of when I was a child. they are also kinder and more compassionate than anyone I grew up with when I was their age.

I just get defensive when i see our youth critised, when I know today's world in not a great time to be a kid right now, and most of them really are trying their best.
    I'm not criticising our youth ( And i don't think that you think that) Your post is very interesting. Of course there were kids who were isolated when i was growing up, but physical play was much more accessible and was much more part of normality, although i don't know if my generation were more inclusive or not, i think that inclusiveness is difficult to determine sometimes. Kids are more gentle now, and kinder, like you say. They're more aware of social issues than alot of my friends were. I'd just like to see them burning off that youthful energy a bit more. I blame my generation for being over protective and paranoid when the reality (in my opinion) is that it's a whole lot safer for youngsters now than it was when i was growing up.

Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Dont know where you are living but in Barry its a completely different situation. Young people going round in groups, hanging round parks etc.
    I live in Rhiwbina, but to be honest my experience of life since the lockdown has been confined to walking home from work in Splott in the middle of the afternoon and going back and forth to the supermarket a couple of times a week. That’s it. I haven’t been near any parks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I live in Rhiwbina, but to be honest my experience of life since the lockdown has been confined to walking home from work in Splott in the middle of the afternoon and going back and forth to the supermarket a couple of times a week. That’s it. I haven’t been near any parks.
    All of the parks a shut-supposedly.

Disgraceful.
    Is that place frequented by the middle aged as well? There's nothing more unattractive than watching a load of 40-50 somethings dancing, the women trying not to move to quickly as they might piss themselves and the blokes trying to throw shapes in shirts that contour their fat guts. Leave it to young people or hire a social club on a tuesday night-that's what i say.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Dont know where you are living but in Barry its a completely different situation. Young people going round in groups, hanging round parks etc.
    Same for me, especially now the sun is out. Loads of kids hanging around the local supermarkets, and boy racers. Although I'd be careful to assume that the rest of the country is behaving exactly the same way that my small town is.

I'd add that the younger generation don't seem to drink as much as the oldies..
    Quite a few youngster don’t even drink, they see it as an old mans game....sort of thing their pisshead parents did, prob enough to put them off for a life

How can you shut parks? Heath for ie

International

No they're not. Never were.

Is that place frequented by the middle aged as well? There's nothing more unattractive than watching a load of 40-50 somethings dancing, the women trying not to move to quickly as they might piss themselves and the blokes trying to throw shapes in shirts that contour their fat guts. Leave it to young people or hire a social club on a tuesday night-that's what i say.

Its just not particularly good, there was a picture of Paul Merson doing the ayatollah in there going around not long ago which I think says more about the place than I ever could

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No they're not. Never were.
    Sorry, need to amend my post-You're quite right, i meant play areas that are fenced off and have the swings and slides etc. That's a park to me!

Its just not particularly good, there was a picture of Paul Merson doing the ayatollah in there going around not long ago which I think says more about the place than I ever could
    That does sound bad. There's another place on the corner that looks as equally desperate-Bar Cuba or something. Sod that.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How can you shut parks? Heath for ie
    Yeah, you're right, see my response to snaggle the x cat. I've just returned from heath park

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Quite a few youngster don’t even drink, they see it as an old mans game....sort of thing their pisshead parents did, prob enough to put them off for a life
    Completely agree, my parents generation were proper piss heads (I'm 47) most of my mates parents would have a celebratory drink for the cats birthday-any excuse. My missus parents used to have all of their booze on display in a cabinet, like it was something to be proud of. I used to visit her when i was 14 and her old man would pour me a drink-he was offended when i said that i'd rather squash.

That does sound bad. There's another place on the corner that looks as equally desperate-Bar Cuba or something. Sod that.
    Revolution? Doesn't look great, there's another thing under their banner opposite the castle and that's a shithole. The same can be said of most of those kind of chains, Tiger Tiger was another but that has thankfully shut down

Womanby Street is one of the few bits of town with some originality worth going to, so the council will probably shut that down within the next few years

Revolution? Doesn't look great, there's another thing under their banner opposite the castle and that's a shithole. The same can be said of most of those kind of chains, Tiger Tiger was another but that has thankfully shut down

Womanby Street is one of the few bits of town with some originality worth going to, so the council will probably shut that down within the next few years
    Agree, those places do look desperate. The borough is a good place to do some Alcoholic watching on a sunny day, outside.

That's a fair point i suppose. The younger generation don't go outside as much as we used to, i sometimes take my dog for a walk along the rhymney river and i don't see any kids, just the odd middle aged bloke walking his dog. When i was a kid the river was our playground. They've got the internet and all that goes with it, plus a couple of generations of over protective parents who seem to think that kids need their play to be organised and in a 'safe' environment, apart from more traffic on the road i'd say that it's never been safer for youngsters, especially in the more middle class areas.

The older generation seem to have more of a routine and seeing their friends face to face is more prevalent within that generation, I do understand that although they are taking a risk at the moment and it probably will hinder the progress made in coming out of this situation.

I do find it difficult to get angry at people who flout the rules a bit, especially when someone has been doing a certain thing for 50 years or more. I'm quite lucky in respect that i don't visit pubs, rarely use restaurants, shops to me are the work of the devil and being in large groups of people (apart from the city) is something that i've never enjoyed. The only thing i miss is driving to the coast with my dog, going on long walks in the countryside and sport, oh yeah, and seeing my mum Apart from that it's a pretty normal existence for me.

I've been for a walk along the Rhymney River..... Did you mean middle aged man walking his dog or wanking off his dog?

I've only ever seen one of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I've been for a walk along the Rhymney River..... Did you mean middle aged man walking his dog or wanking off his dog?

I've only ever seen one of the above.
    Don't worry, i didn't see you...