+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

A statistic that really surprised me was the number of deaths in the UK for those 45 and under. It's 320. That's 320 out of approx 37 million. The next time a youngster comes a bit too close on his bike or waits for me to move off the pavement, I'm going to bear that in mind before I go and moan to the missus when I get back home. I'm at an age when my exposure to an economic crash is limited, but for those whose lives are mostly ahead of them I really feel for them. Confronted with that statistic I doubt the 25yr old AQM would have been so nearly as compliant as today's generations..

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A statistic that really surprised me was the number of deaths in the UK for those 45 and under. It's 320. That's 320 out of approx 37 million. The next time a youngster comes a bit too close on his bike or waits for me to move off the pavement, I'm going to bear that in mind before I go and moan to the missus when I get back home. I'm at an age when my exposure to an economic crash is limited, but for those whose lives are mostly ahead of them I really feel for them. Confronted with that statistic I doubt the 25yr old AQM would have been so nearly as compliant as today's generations..
    Surely they have more time to bounce back.
    What about those over 45 who’s pensions are tied to markets?
    It wasn’t exactly a Rose Garden getting a “good” job in the 90’s early 00’s either.

Re: The under 45's - making a big sacrifice, and likely suffer most in the long term..

To be honest, the vast majority of the people I've seen either disregarding the two-metre social distancing guidelines or flouting the lockdown rules in recent weeks have been in the 50 and over age bracket. I've been genuinely surprised by how compliant the younger generation seem to have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Surely they have more time to bounce back.
    What about those over 45 who’s pensions are tied to markets?
    It wasn’t exactly a Rose Garden getting a “good” job in the 90’s early 00’s either.
    Tell me about it. 13% mortage, redundant three times. RE. pensions hopefully they'll recover, though the paradox re. the 90's is that annuity rates were close to 10% !!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    To be honest, the vast majority of the people I've seen either disregarding the two-metre social distancing guidelines or flouting the lockdown rules in recent weeks have been in the 50 and over age bracket. I've been genuinely surprised by how compliant the younger generation seem to have been.
    I have found the opposite where I live, the younger crowd are too busy on their phones to look where they are walking and young couples to busy talking to each other oblivious to how difficult it is to keep 2 meters away especially when holding hands and in some places making it impossible to keep the 2 meter rule without me venturing way out in the road, covid19 might not kill me but getting knocked down by a car might, and as for the younger crowd on bikes they are downright dangerous going as fast as they possible can missing you by inches and if they dont put you at risk for vovid19, there is a big chance that they could knock you down. The only cyclists that do their best to keep out of the way believe it or not are the young kids, and they always say thank you if you move out of the way. Also just to say I am social distancing getting my hour of exercise daily

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I have found the opposite where I live, the younger crowd are too busy on their phones to look where they are walking and young couples to busy talking to each other oblivious to how difficult it is to keep 2 meters away especially when holding hands and in some places making it impossible to keep the 2 meter rule without me venturing way out in the road, covid19 might not kill me but getting knocked down by a car might, and as for the younger crowd on bikes they are downright dangerous going as fast as they possible can missing you by inches and if they dont put you at risk for vovid19, there is a big chance that they could knock you down. The only cyclists that do their best to keep out of the way believe it or not are the young kids, and they always say thank you if you move out of the way. Also just to say I am social distancing getting my hour of exercise daily
    I drove through Whitchurch village earlier today, on my way to The Hollybush estate for work. There were a fair amount of 50 plus enjoying the sun and having a coffee from a local bakery that's opened up there. People standing around chatting like **** all has happened. I can't say that i've seen youngsters doing the same. Could you imagine if that had been teenagers? The old ***** of North Cardiff would be on the phone to the Police and the Echo would be there in a flash to take photos. Maybe the younger generation are meeting up but have a little more awareness about them and are acting a little more clandestine than their elderly and seemingly entitled counterparts.

Tell me about it. 13% mortage, redundant three times. RE. pensions hopefully they'll recover, though the paradox re. the 90's is that annuity rates were close to 10% !!
    Yup, sounds about right.

The aftermath of this situation could well be an equalizer for those that have struggled.
    For example, manufacturing could come back en masse and hopefully provide new career opportunities and pay good wages.

You have my sympathies, although i wouldn't want to be young now, starting out, looking for work and a place to live. They've got little chance of buying a house and their working conditions are poor in terms of contracts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I drove through Whitchurch village earlier today, on my way to The Hollybush estate for work. There were a fair amount of 50 plus enjoying the sun and having a coffee from a local bakery that's opened up there. People standing around chatting like **** all has happened. I can't say that i've seen youngsters doing the same. Could you imagine if that had been teenagers? The old ***** of North Cardiff would be on the phone to the Police and the Echo would be there in a flash to take photos. Maybe the younger generation are meeting up but have a little more awareness about them and are acting a little more clandestine than their elderly and seemingly entitled counterparts.
    I think the older you are the more you depend on outside contact. Younger people, generally, seem to take things in their stride

You have my sympathies, although i wouldn't want to be young now, starting out, looking for work and a place to live. They've got little chance of buying a house and their working conditions are poor in terms of contracts etc.
    All in the past, but thanks. Financially secure though not stinking rich.

Us oldies don't know what "2 metres" is. Now if they'd said 6ft 6ins, we'd understand..

Banned

Interest rates shot to 15% within a day or two of my parents borrowing to buy their council house. Sheer madness seeing the stress they were both under. Also remember my dad being made redundant just a week after borrowing for a family holiday. It was hard to knock my parents - they were both unemployed for long periods of my early life and as soon as they had the security of good jobs, they borrowed money.

The effect of this crisis is that we all need to save more money. Firstly in case of a second wave - furlough cannot be guaranteed. Secondly in case of redundancy - the job markets are going to be shocking, the US figures pointing at 15-20% unemployment there, and while it may be short term, it could well happen here too.

Banned

I think the older you are the more you depend on outside contact. Younger people, generally, seem to take things in their stride
    I wonder how much of that is down the the fact that a lot of social interactions for teenagers and people in their young 20s is done online?

If your main activities are playing computer games at home, then it wouldn't surprise me if some of the younger generations are just doing the things they always do, thereby neither increasing nor decreasing their social activities.

That's a fair point i suppose. The younger generation don't go outside as much as we used to, i sometimes take my dog for a walk along the rhymney river and i don't see any kids, just the odd middle aged bloke walking his dog. When i was a kid the river was our playground. They've got the internet and all that goes with it, plus a couple of generations of over protective parents who seem to think that kids need their play to be organised and in a 'safe' environment, apart from more traffic on the road i'd say that it's never been safer for youngsters, especially in the more middle class areas.

The older generation seem to have more of a routine and seeing their friends face to face is more prevalent within that generation, I do understand that although they are taking a risk at the moment and it probably will hinder the progress made in coming out of this situation.

I do find it difficult to get angry at people who flout the rules a bit, especially when someone has been doing a certain thing for 50 years or more. I'm quite lucky in respect that i don't visit pubs, rarely use restaurants, shops to me are the work of the devil and being in large groups of people (apart from the city) is something that i've never enjoyed. The only thing i miss is driving to the coast with my dog, going on long walks in the countryside and sport, oh yeah, and seeing my mum Apart from that it's a pretty normal existence for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I wonder how much of that is down the the fact that a lot of social interactions for teenagers and people in their young 20s is done online?

If your main activities are playing computer games at home, then it wouldn't surprise me if some of the younger generations are just doing the things they always do, thereby neither increasing nor decreasing their social activities.
    Maybe for schoolkids, but that isn't true of people who are 18+, Wetherspoons wouldn't survive without people in their 20s. Usually every Friday/Saturday every city centre in the country is full of people who are 18-35

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Maybe for schoolkids, but that certainly isn't true of people who are 18+, Wetherspoons wouldn't survive without people in their 20s
    Really? Maybe the spoons in town, but not the one by me (Aneurin Bevan) and the one down City road-They are full of discernible middle aged piss heads.

Really? Maybe the spoons in town, but not the one by me (Aneurin Bevan) and the one down City road-They are full of discernible middle aged piss heads.
    The ones in Nottingham are full of students, Ivor Davies and Gatekeeper full of the younger crowd particularly on weekends

The ones in Nottingham are full of students, Ivor Davies and Gatekeeper full of the younger crowd particularly on weekends
    Fair enough, suppose it's cheap enough etc.

The young are being very disciplined throughout all of the this. Fair play to them.

Maybe for schoolkids, but that isn't true of people who are 18+, Wetherspoons wouldn't survive without people in their 20s. Usually every Friday/Saturday every city centre in the country is full of people who are 18-35
    Really? The Central Bar’s age group is older than the 18-35 bracket, in my experience the younger element seem to swerve Wetherspoons.

How do you know, you said you don't visit pubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How do you know, you said you don't visit pubs?
    I don't visit benidorm but have enough information at hand to know the demographic-actually i've been once. Ofcourse, they're not all fat middle aged red faced piss heads, that wouldn't be accurate.

Dont know where you are living but in Barry its a completely different situation. Young people going round in groups, hanging round parks etc.

I am not a fan of these 'generation topics' as if people can be stereotyped by what age they are.

It does not matter if you were a teenager in the 60's 80's or 2010's there have always been delinquents and have always been some good eggs and a whole bunch of kids somewhere in the middle.

I know some old people who are saints and I look up to, and also know old people who act like entitled **** wits.

Another one I love is when people try and say, oh in my generation we didn't do that or have that, everyone thinks their childhood was the best and every generation after them can not compare, news flash, your parents were saying the exact same thing to you, and your grandparents saying it to them, and the wheel goes on.
    of course you do not like the music, or fashion or films today, the same way adults did not like the music you listening to when you were 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The young are being very disciplined throughout all of the this. Fair play to them.
    Really? By me they haven't changed their habits at all!