+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Drive-in Coronavirus test

Drive-in Coronavirus test

Well that was an eerie experience. Courtesy of the status of my employer (rather than having any symptoms myself), I have just returned from Tiverton having attended a drive-in Coronavirus test administered by the Army. It involves stopping the car at the first station in a sealed-off car park, being instructed to wind the window up until otherwise advised and to ring the mobile number of the masked army recruit who stood near the car.
    Through my car window he scanned a QR number on my phone and which I had been sent in advance and indicated that I should proceed to the next station where another recruit held up a number for me to ring him on.
    After a brief conversation I was asked to lower the passenger window for long enough for him to drop a small box on the seat. I was then instructed to raise the window and call another recruit who went through the contents and instructions, which were to park up a few yards away and use apply the swab to one's tonsils for 10 seconds (and I had to gag a couple of times) and then insert it up a nostril for 15 seconds and as far in that it met resistance (and I suggest that it's best not to do it in reverse order). Then bagged it into a vial, blew my nose into a tissue and put both vial and tissue into a Bio-hazard bag and proceeded to the third station whereupon I rang another mobile number indicated and, as instructed, opened my csr window and dropped it into a plastic box at the third station and set off for home. I should know the result in the next fex days as to whether I have it (extremely unlikely, I think).

Re: Drive-in Coronavirus test

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well that was an eerie experience. Courtesy of the status of my employer (rather than having any symptoms myself), I have just returned from Tiverton having attended a drive-in Coronavirus test administered by the Army. It involves stopping the car at the first station in a sealed-off car park, being instructed to wind the window up until otherwise advised and to ring the mobile number of the masked army recruit who stood near the car.
    Through my car window he scanned a QR number on my phone and which I had been sent in advance and indicated that I should proceed to the next station where another recruit held up a number for me to ring him on.
    After a brief conversation I was asked to lower the passenger window for long enough for him to drop a small box on the seat. I was then instructed to raise the window and call another recruit who went through the contents and instructions, which were to park up a few yards away and use apply the swab to one's tonsils for 10 seconds (and I had to gag a couple of times) and then insert it up a nostril for 15 seconds and as far in that it met resistance (and I suggest that it's best not to do it in reverse order). Then bagged it into a vial, blew my nose into a tissue and put both vial and tissue into a Bio-hazard bag and proceeded to the third station whereupon I rang another mobile number indicated and, as instructed, opened my csr window and dropped it into a plastic box at the third station and set off for home. I should know the result in the next fex days as to whether I have it (extremely unlikely, I think).
    You swine TBG, you’ve just given me a coughing, gagging fit

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You swine TBG, you’ve just given me a coughing, gagging fit
    Is that you, Linda Lovelace?

International

I thought her whole fame was built on the fact that she didn't.................gag that is!

Going to Oxford tomorrow for a test. Really looking forward to it thanks.

However, as we are going as a family of four as daughter is key worker and my partner has been in and out a care home for the last few days as her Dad succumbed to covid-19 on top of stroke/dementia heaven only knows what the choreography is going to be like!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Going to Oxford tomorrow for a test. Really looking forward to it thanks.

However, as we are going as a family of four as daughter is key worker and my partner has been in and out a care home for the last few days as her Dad succumbed to covid-19 on top of stroke/dementia heaven only knows what the choreography is going to be like!
    The mind boggles. Do report back!

If the Test is in Oxford, do you reckon that it'll be harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If the Test is in Oxford, do you reckon that it'll be harder?
    Very good. I think in Oxford not only do they swab the "boat race" but also take a sample from the cox.

"Would you like fries with that test? Do you want to go for the large test for 50p more?"

Got tested the other week prior to rejoining the ship I work on, felt like gagging with the tonsil tickling, and the nasal bit made my eyes water to put it mildly, very unpleasant. The crew change I was part of, were all negative, but a previous big crew change with lots of contractors joining the vessel had 13 positives out of 41 people. All were fine after a couple of weeks. We now get our temperature taken every other day, and all the workers in the shipyard where we are in dry-dock get temperature tested daily.

Banned

My partner had such a test last week at Rodney Parade. However the nurse did the swab. I won't be able to do such a test as my gag reflex is pretty extreme. I had a throat examination a while back and was kekking before the doctor even put the stick in my mouth. It's interesting to see how differently your test was compared to my partner's.

So you drove to a car park, phoned a bunch of strange men who put stuff through the window which you then gagged on before driving off.

There's a joke somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    So you drove to a car park, phoned a bunch of strange men who put stuff through the window which you then gagged on before driving off.

Sludge is going there on a daily basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Didn’t know doggers gave their phone numbers these days

The Oxford version was a lot less procedural than your experience. On arrival they scanned one of the QR codes. We then passed to a second point where someone scanned all the four codes for each of us and put the test kits under our windscreen wipers. All the marshalling and this bit done by Serco staff with windows remaining closed.

We proceeded to the test point where an NHS worker gave each of us a test card for the results and a tissue to blow our nose with windows closed (which we kept in the car rather than it being batched with the test swab for your test). Then in turn we opened the window and a swab was used on the back of the throat and up the nose for 10 seconds. The throat part was the most uncomfortable. The NHS staff retained the test kit and we drove off. From start to finish queuing behind 4 other cars it took about 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The Oxford version was a lot less procedural than your experience. On arrival they scanned one of the QR codes. We then passed to a second point where someone scanned all the four codes for each of us and put the test kits under our windscreen wipers. All the marshalling and this bit done by Serco staff with windows remaining closed.

We proceeded to the test point where an NHS worker gave each of us a test card for the results and a tissue to blow our nose with windows closed (which we kept in the car rather than it being batched with the test swab for your test). Then in turn we opened the window and a swab was used on the back of the throat and up the nose for 10 seconds. The throat part was the most uncomfortable. The NHS staff retained the test kit and we drove off. From start to finish queuing behind 4 other cars it took about 30 mins.
    Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Didn’t know doggers gave their phone numbers these days
    They even have their own bank.

They even have their own bank.
    Fair play, Squeezing a shipping forecast area into a pun-good work.

Hope the results all come back as negative for everyone , horrible virus , no one deserves this agony .