+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK-US trade negotiations begin

UK-US trade negotiations begin

Good news!

Re: UK-US trade negotiations begin

America is a country we should not trust.

America is the only country that will back us and is our closest and our oldest allie , along with our wonderful commonwealth friends .

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    America is the only country that will back us and is our closest and our oldest allie , along with our wonderful commonwealth friends .
    Oldest allie(sic)?! You might find that you're wrong and several hundred years off on that tasty fact, LoM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Oldest allie(sic)?! You might find that you're wrong and several hundred years off on that tasty fact, LoM.
    Could be a case of mind over nata

The 1950s called. They want their message back.

The USA hasn't been going long and they have already been fighting and killing us when they wanted Independence, not to mention being a combined half a decade late entering the World wars, I would be very wary about fully trusting them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Could be a case of mind over nata
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    The USA hasn't been going long and they have already been fighting and killing us when they wanted Independence, not to mention being a combined half a decade late entering the World wars, I would be very wary about fully trusting them.
    I would have thought that you would be last person on here criticising people's efforts in throwing off the shackles of British imperialism.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I would have thought that you would be last person on here criticising people's efforts in throwing off the shackles of British imperialism.
    They were in the main British/British descendents not Africans, not Asians, not Pacific Islanders, not Welsh/Ancient Britons fighting Saxons/Normans etc but British colonists fighting their own kind, that tells you a lot about the type of people Americans are.

They were in the main British/British descendents not Africans, not Asians, not Pacific Islanders, not Welsh/Ancient Britons fighting Saxons/Normans etc but British colonists fighting their own kind, that tells you a lot about the type of people Americans are.
    America has a very mixed population and can't easily be stereotyped as you suggest. More national stereotyping from you so that's nothing new.

America has a very mixed population and can't easily be stereotyped as you suggest. More national stereotyping from you so that's nothing new.
    Their ruling class still tend to be WASPs.

I don't trust many things or countries just prefer USA as a choice of society and partner, its a personal view and my choice.

Our society has huge connections , yes it's been built on really since WW2 , however we enjoy so much of their lifestyle such as , film , TV , sport, music , cars , literature , food, drink , holiday destinations, god I could list so many things we enjoy and share , can't think of any other society we are so close too and share so many likes, oh and we understand their language which will be useful when we are buying their goods and reading the packaging instructions .

I don't trust many things or countries just prefer USA as a choice of society and partner, its a personal view and my choice.

Our society has huge connections , yes it's been built on really since WW2 , however we enjoy so much of their lifestyle such as , film , TV , sport, music , cars , literature , food, drink , holiday destinations, god I could list so many things we enjoy and share , can't think of any other society we are so close too and share so many likes, oh and we understand their language which will be useful when we are buying their goods and reading the packaging instructions .
    Put it like this I was bouncing round the room when Iran beat the USA in the 98 WC every bit as much as I do when the ABE's beat Ingerlund.

Their ruling class still tend to be WASPs.
    That's not what you said, of course.

That's not what you said, of course.
    It's what I meant because if you don't generalise on occasion on a message board every post would be a mile long.

Put it like this I was bouncing round the room when Iran beat the USA in the 98 WC every bit as much as I do when the ABE's beat Ingerlund.
    Hey Ho each to thier own , you might be good company on the politics message board , but not in the general population

Hey Ho each to thier own , you might be good company on the politics message board , but not in the general population
    I don't know if you are talking about my local area within Wales, Wales itself, the UK or the World, seems a strange thing to say, I have been lucky enough to have lots of good friends all my life, sport is tribal, I tend to want the underdog/small team to win particularly if they are up against a large imperialistic nation, I don't see how that makes one unpopular particular if one lives in a small country that is often the underdog like Wales often is.

It's what I meant because if you don't generalise on occasion on a message board every post would be a mile long.
    Not really.

I wonder if the NHS is on the table during any UK-US trade negotiations ?

I wonder if the NHS is on the table during any UK-US trade negotiations ?
    Jeremy thought so.

I should imagine the purchase of goods that support any service or business in the UK could be part of a trade deal as we don't manufacture everything to support tge demand .

What I'd like to see is new manufacturing companies spring up post Covid and Brexit with low start up business costs and rates , however folks will have to accept the price of goods will be dearer , as we have higher wages and pensions costs , than those paid in China , India and even in the good old USA .

Jeremy thought so.

I should imagine the purchase of goods that support any service or business in the UK could be part of a trade deal as we don't manufacture everything to support tge demand .

What I'd like to see is new manufacturing companies spring up post Covid and Brexit with low start up business costs and rates , however folks will have to accept the price of goods will be dearer , as we have higher wages and pensions costs , than those paid in China , India and even in the good old USA .
    rather than directly selling off the NHS, the thing that is initially concerning is this..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...n-brexit-drugs

of course under a tory government, who always run the NHS into the ground, if faced with this additional cost pressure then it could be curtains.
    the Tories are never going to raise taxes to find the NHS if it gets into real difficulty, they will just say it is inefficient and sell it off

Jeremy thought so.

Not quite sure I understand the reasoning.

Surely any trade deal we negotiate post-Brexit with countries like India, China and the US will be aimed at lowering tariff barriers rather than raising them to protect industries where British goods are dearer.

Any attempt to protect certain markets or sectors such as manufacturing will see reciprocal action on something by the other party and therefore lessen the benefits of being free to negotiate without the encumbrance of EU membership?.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not quite sure I understand the reasoning.

Surely any trade deal we negotiate post-Brexit with countries like India, China and the US will be aimed at lowering tariff barriers rather than raising them to protect industries where British goods are dearer.

Any attempt to protect certain markets or sectors such as manufacturing will see reciprocal action on something by the other party and therefore lessen the benefits of being free to negotiate without the encumbrance of EU membership?.
    Lifeonmars is just being silly to get bites. Isn't he? So hard to tell.