+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK-US trade negotiations begin

Re: UK-US trade negotiations begin

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not quite sure I understand the reasoning.

Surely any trade deal we negotiate post-Brexit with countries like India, China and the US will be aimed at lowering tariff barriers rather than raising them to protect industries where British goods are dearer.

Any attempt to protect certain markets or sectors such as manufacturing will see reciprocal action on something by the other party and therefore lessen the benefits of being free to negotiate without the encumbrance of EU membership?.
    Of course we have to enter into some form of trade deal , however alongside that I feel our best chance to progress is to enhance our own manufacturing capabilities, we used to make quality goods, and then we sold our souls for a cheaper mass product, a government back investment to new business starts to build back our manufacturing , farming, base would surely be a good all round social benefit and investment, we need to stop relying on cheap foreign products post Covid and Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    rather than directly selling off the NHS, the thing that is initially concerning is this..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...n-brexit-drugs

of course under a tory government, who always run the NHS into the ground, if faced with this additional cost pressure then it could be curtains.
    the Tories are never going to raise taxes to find the NHS if it gets into real difficulty, they will just say it is inefficient and sell it off
    I'm not sure that tax rise won't happen a number of recent polls commissioned to see if folk would be happy to pay more for social care and health were positive .

If I was Boris I'd raise nurses pay significantly and ask for cross party consensus on a ring fenced tax rise of 1p on wages up 50k and 2p for 50k upwards, but increase tax allowances for those earning up to 20k

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We were always the sick man of Europe before this , in terms of our general poor behaviour, poor health , appalling drinking habits , and bad obesity statistics ,so it's a good fit .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We were always the sick man of Europe before this , in terms of our general poor behaviour, poor health , appalling drinking habits , and bad obesity statistics ,so it's a good fit .
    levels of smoking, drinking, obesity etc are pretty similar to Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    levels of smoking, drinking, obesity etc are pretty similar to Germany
    The*UK is*the most*obese*country in western Europe, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Its annual Health at a Glance report, published on Friday, shows that 26.9% of the*UK*population had a body mass index of 30 and above, the official definition of*obesity, in 2015.11 Nov 2017

America is the only country that will back us and is our closest and our oldest allie , along with our wonderful commonwealth friends .
    The only deal we will get is one which suits the Yanks first and foremost and that’s it.

We really haven’t got much to offer in comparison and it’s hilarious watching those advocating Brexit scream that the EU are bullies whilst the Yanks will somehow be kind.

Don’t get me wrong a trade deal will be nice and there no doubt the EU will try and take advantage of us but that’s what happens when you’re the minor partner in any deal negotiation.

All this Anglo sphere commonwealth thing is...well, utter bollocks which has been born out of British Exceptionalism spewed out.

Of course we have to enter into some form of trade deal , however alongside that I feel our best chance to progress is to enhance our own manufacturing capabilities, we used to make quality goods, and then we sold our souls for a cheaper mass product, a government back investment to new business starts to build back our manufacturing , farming, base would surely be a good all round social benefit and investment, we need to stop relying on cheap foreign products post Covid and Brexit
    Find me a pro Brexit economist who reckons Brexit will be good for manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Find me a pro Brexit economist who reckons Brexit will be good for manufacturing.
    https://www.cityam.com/group-pro-bre...add-135bn/amp/

Eric was clearly referring to manufacturing.

Your hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwVEpbb3do

"A price worth paying......"

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Eric was clearly referring to manufacturing.

Your hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwVEpbb3do

"A price worth paying......"
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...backing-brexit

So Eric asks to come up with an economist who thinks Brexit will be good for UK manufacturing.

You respond with a group of economists led by a fella that believes Brexit will lead to the destruction of British industry.

“we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and high-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.”

But Tim Martin thinks it's going to be great so I suppose there is nothing to be worried about

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    So Eric asks to come up with an economist who thinks Brexit will be good for UK manufacturing.

You respond with a group of economists led by a fella that believes Brexit will lead to the destruction of British industry.

“we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and high-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.”

But Tim Martin thinks it's going to be great so I suppose there is nothing to be worried about

I'm sure we will manufacture post Brexit . PMA

https://www.ft.com/content/8e2aaf0a-...2-dbd09587277c

Nissan in talks to build Renault models at Sunderland plant

Global overhaul set to include closure of Barcelona plant and 20% cut in production capacity