+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quick Whittingham quiz

Quick Whittingham quiz

1. Against which 6 current Championship sides did Peter Whittingham never score against while playing for us? Luton is an obvious one as he never played against them for us.

2. Against which two sides did Whitts score most against for us?

3. Against which side did Whitts supply most assists?

Re: Quick Whittingham quiz

1. Swansea?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    1. Swansea?
    Yes. Never scored against them. I was surprised that he was left out of the squad for the first two league meetings at the Liberty, presumably as Jones didn't think he was up to the battle.

I'm not sure he ever scored against Fulham or Birmingham. I'm thinking he must have scored against QPR somewhere along the line, but I can't think of when - I reckon Wigan may be another one.

2) Sheffield United

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    2) Sheffield United

After a cup of coffee, 2) maybe Barnsley or Forest for the other one ???

He scored the greatest goal of all time against Barnsley

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

He'd better have another cup of coffee!

Leicester maybe

I'll guess Stoke, they were out of the Championship for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not sure he ever scored against Fulham or Birmingham. I'm thinking he must have scored against QPR somewhere along the line, but I can't think of when - I reckon Wigan may be another one.
    You are right about Fulham and Wigan. If you can't think of when he scored against QPR, it's because he didn't.

That's 5 - Luton, Swansea, QPR, Fulham and Wigan.

I presume you mean the answer to question 2, he scored 5 against Barnsley for us. He scored 2 against Forest. Neither are right. I thought Sheffield Utd was a nailed on guarantee, but that hattrick was the only time he scored against them for us. He scored 6 against the two teams he scored most often against for us.

I doubt anyone will get 3, so Barnsley is the answer to that, with 6 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I presume you mean the answer to question 2, he scored 5 against Barnsley for us. He scored 2 against Forest. Neither are right. I thought Sheffield Utd was a nailed on guarantee, but that hattrick was the only time he scored against them for us. He scored 6 against the two teams he scored most often against for us.

I doubt anyone will get 3, so Barnsley is the answer to that, with 6 assists.
    I'm hoping the Wurzels were one of them, but I don't believe he got as many as six against them. He scored a lot against Coventry (his local team).

I'll guess Stoke, they were out of the Championship for a while.
    He scored against them in the Premier League.

I.m wondering if the other team he didn't score against was Charlton - don't think he scored in the 5-4 game.

He scored against them in the Premier League.

I.m wondering if the other team he didn't score against was Charlton - don't think he scored in the 5-4 game.
    Combining answers, Charlton is the last side that he didn't score against. Excellent working out.

Coventry is one side he scored 6 against. Playing them seems like a distant memory but we were in this division together for 6 consecutive seasons after promotion in 2003.

He scored a few against Palace, but I don't think it's them, Not Wolves is it?

He scored a few against Palace, but I don't think it's them, Not Wolves is it?
    No, neither of those.

A clue. He scored in 3 successive games against them in 2009/10 and 2010/11, including both away games. Those away games couldn't have had more different outcomes; the second could have been a glimpse into the future.

No, neither of those.

A clue. He scored in 3 successive games against them in 2009/10 and 2010/11, including both away games. Those away games couldn't have had more different outcomes; the second could have been a glimpse into the future.
    Reading

Reading
    No. He played against Reading 15 times but only netted twice. To answer TOBW as well, Whitts scored 5 against Bristol City. He scored twice as we came from 2 down against them in 2010/11 but only managed 1 in the last 9 against them.

Surprisingly, Whitts only managed 1 goal in 12 games against Leeds and 1 in 12 against Middlesbrough, though that was a bit special!

No, neither of those.

In that case, I'll try Watford.

In that case, I'll try Watford.
    Of course. I notice, in the 4-1 thrashing where they ripped us apart, Andrew Taylor, Don Cowie and Jordon Mutch played for Watford. They had a real Jekyll and Hyde season that year. That win was in a run of 7 successive wins that took them into the top 6, top scorers in the division playing some devastating attacking football. We ended that run by beating them 4-2 at home. They won 19 points from their last 21 games and finished bottom half with the 3rd best scoring record and 5th worst defensive record - a far cry from the negative tactics that won us the Championship.

That season Watford saw an average of 3.2 goals a game. Up to the Charlton 5-4 defeat, we saw an average of 3.5 goals a game but were too defensively open. After that Charlton defeat we saw an average of 2.1 goals a game and conceded less in 31 matches than we did in the first 15.