+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ricky Gervais - After Life

Ricky Gervais - After Life

Finished it last night, tests all the emotions, fantastic individual characters. I thought it was superb.

Anyone else? as there is always someone with a different opinion ;-)

Re: Ricky Gervais - After Life

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Finished it last night, tests all the emotions, fantastic individual characters. I thought it was superb.

...Elvis is dead too

i watched the 1st episode early this week with my oldest daughter, i have a feeling she went off and binge watched a few more that night

I must admit i did enjoy it, but the first thing i did was search netflix for " the office ", bookmarked them and i watched 2 episodes last night

Agree, very good.

Wish I hadn't binge watched them though. Although box sets are very convenient, the something to look forward to has gone.

The Paul Kaye character cracks me up

Banned

I think it is really cleverly written, the characters are superb without being over the top which is, I think, a sign of maturity in the writing. There are parts that are quite hard hitting too, the last episode being a case in point.

It was also good to see two actors from "Ever Decreasing Circles" being reunited - poor Martin will be seething up there in sitcom heaven.

I enjoy his skeptical ramblings too - a lot of which he has said in public before.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I think it is really cleverly written, the characters are superb without being over the top which is, I think, a sign of maturity in the writing. There are parts that are quite hard hitting too, the last episode being a case in point.

It was also good to see two actors from "Ever Decreasing Circles" being reunited - poor Martin will be seething up there in sitcom heaven.

I enjoy his skeptical ramblings too - a lot of which he has said in public before.
    Ever decreasing circles

Love gervais and love both series
    Really cleverly written and as with all of his writing it’s funny but touching.
    The only thing that slightly annoys me is how his character never asks how the woman on the bench is doing and only gives his own update of how he’s doing even tho he knows she’s going through the same. Guess he’d say that’s the point though self absorbed etc

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Ever decreasing circles
    It wasn't that bad. The married couple who had matching jumpers used to crack me up. Richard Briers was brilliant in it.

I watched the second series in three hours without any sort of break, that says all I need to about it.

It wasn't that bad. The married couple who had matching jumpers used to crack me up. Richard Briers was brilliant in it.
    Howard & Hilda

Wasn't Martin in ever decreasing circles a local league football ref?

First serious 8/10 second series 4/10. First series was very good, funny and emotional. Second series, too much of the C word for no reason other than to shock. Characters totally unbelievable, the postman and sex worker, not having it. The fat kid who looked about 20 on work experience and sat in the bedroom whilst his mother has sex. Crass and unfunny.

Would have been excellent but absolutely no point of Dennis Pennis guy being written into it.
    Parts of it had me crying but didn't like or see any point of all the sexual content being needed. It was to OTT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Wasn't Martin in ever decreasing circles a local league football ref?
    I think he was.

I think he was.
    Yes he was, just been looking to see if there's something on You Tube about it, it's there somewhere because someone has posted every episode of it I think, but it would have taken ages to find.

The original premise was a good one, but the longer it went on, the more predictable and schmaltzy it became. But then, that's the way with most of Gervais' recent works. Don't get me on the subject of 'Derek'....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The original premise was a good one, but the longer it went on, the more predictable and schmaltzy it became. But then, that's the way with most of Gervais' recent works. Don't get me on the subject of 'Derek'....
    I thought Derek was his best work until Afterlife!