+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A potential solution for the football season

A potential solution for the football season

Probably been suggested already, but wouldn't the best solution all round be to void the season today, and start a new season in August or september with no relegation or promotion BUT all clubs carry over any points gained in the voided season to the new season. So Liverpool would start the season with a big head start, and Leeds an West Brom would be in a great place to earn the promotion they had been denied.
    European places could be given to the teams who were occupying the relevant league positions at the time the season was voided.

Re: A potential solution for the football season

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Probably been suggested already, but wouldn't the best solution all round be to void the season today, and start a new season in August or september with no relegation or promotion BUT all clubs carry over any points gained in the voided season to the new season. So Liverpool would start the season with a big head start, and Leeds an West Brom would be in a great place to earn the promotion they had been denied.
    European places could be given to the teams who were occupying the relevant league positions at the time the season was voided.
    Hasn't this subject already been done to death on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hasn't this subject already been done to death on here?
    Yes, to TBG

Definitely do not void the season past, what idiocy !!!!!

As the other 100 Fred’s on this said “finish this season, even if it means cancelling next”

It’s pointless starting another, when we may get a second wave of Coronavirus

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Yes, to TBG

Definitely do not void the season past, what idiocy !!!!!

As the other 100 Fred’s on this said “finish this season, even if it means cancelling next”

It’s pointless starting another, when we may get a second wave of Coronavirus
    Can you imagine in 5 years time?

"Brighton start the 5th season of carry overs 204 points adrift of their nearest rivals. The only thing that stops them from being relegated is the hope that they can start a winning run of 70 games, which would mean they need this virus to continue for another 200 years. Meanwhile, despite Liverpool's seemingly unassailable lead of 400 points, the PL refuse to hand them the trophy. It could go down to goal difference in 2098/99, but Liverpool have + 1934 compared to Man City's +1252.
    In League 2, Macclesfield are still on 14 points having not won since 2019".

The shambles that is the current lockdown and now the talk of relaxing it, how can it be more relaxed? God knows? may mean there won’t be enough people left to fill grounds so even behind closed doors would be unnecessary. The way the public are behaving at the moment in a lockdown you may as well resume everything as normal next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Can you imagine in 5 years time?

"Brighton start the 5th season of carry overs 204 points adrift of their nearest rivals. The only thing that stops them from being relegated is the hope that they can start a winning run of 70 games, which would mean they need this virus to continue for another 200 years. Meanwhile, despite Liverpool's seemingly unassailable lead of 400 points, the PL refuse to hand them the trophy. It could go down to goal difference in 2098/99, but Liverpool have + 1934 compared to Man City's +1252.
    In League 2, Macclesfield are still on 14 points having not won since 2019".

Continuing on from that, Brighton win all 38 league games that season after spending £500m on transfers but are relegated on goal difference....

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The shambles that is the current lockdown and now the talk of relaxing it, how can it be more relaxed? God knows? may mean there won’t be enough people left to fill grounds so even behind closed doors would be unnecessary. The way the public are behaving at the moment in a lockdown you may as well resume everything as normal next week.
    Do agree with last para folk in this country have a strange way of behaviour compared to other countries , its bound to be the governments fault though ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do agree with last para folk in this country have a strange way of behaviour compared to other countries
    Quite. Look at who they voted in in the last election.

I was listening to the guardian footy podcast, and they had a good idea, cancel the 2020-21 season, and play out the remianing fixtures over the course of a year, premier league, euro, champions league and a few other competition added up to aprox 300 fixtures still to play.

spread out over the course of year would provide a good balance between safety and still finish the season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I was listening to the guardian footy podcast, and they had a good idea, cancel the 2020-21 season, and play out the remianing fixtures over the course of a year, premier league, euro, champions league and a few other competition added up to aprox 300 fixtures still to play.

spread out over the course of year would provide a good balance between safety and still finish the season
    That ignores the plight of the lower league clubs though.

Do agree with last para folk in this country have a strange way of behaviour compared to other countries , its bound to be the governments fault though ?
    There have been admissions behind the scenes in Government apparently that there has been surprise at how well observed the restrictions have been. I for one thought the whole thing would start breaking down after about a fortnight. I think I'm right in saying that we're going into the eighth week of lockdown on Monday and, given the fact that it has not been enforced as rigidly as in many other countries, thereby giving those minded to break the restrictions plenty of scope to do so, I believe you're way off in somehow making this country's grisly stats the public's fault somehow.

As for the football season, let's finish 19/20 if we can and then see where we stand.

Of course it’s the government’s fault, other countries governments have enforced their lockdowns, ours are more or less invisible. People are the same the world over, they’ll push the boundaries and with little authority they’ll push them further. Ask a child to take five sweets and he’ll take ten if he can, our lot are taking fifteen because no bugger is telling them not to.

Are you really keeping abreast of what happens in other countries? I know that headlines have been made in Germany, France, Italy, The Netherlands and Spain for starters regarding people defying lockdown rules.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Of course it’s the government’s fault, other countries governments have enforced their lockdowns, ours are more or less invisible. People are the same the world over, they’ll push the boundaries and with little authority they’ll push them further. Ask a child to take five sweets and he’ll take ten if he can, our lot are taking fifteen because no bugger is telling them not to.
    This country has always been governed by consent. Draconian enforcement of the lockdown could well have led to even more breaches by peoople who have a dislike of being told what to do. Call in civil disobedience/ voting with their feet whatever.
    As TOBW said, considering it has more or less been by consent it has held up remarkably well. Even the traffic flow has only recently increased, and a lot of that may mean people using their cars to shop/go to work instead of risking public transport, there by maintaining social distance.
    I believe a lot of the traffic increase may be people going to work as living on a main road I note that in the evenings/night the traffic is virtually zero which indicates people aren't just going for a swan (Except eric ).

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    This country has always been governed by consent. Draconian enforcement of the lockdown could well have led to even more breaches by peoople who have a dislike of being told what to do. Call in civil disobedience/ voting with their feet whatever.
    As TOBW said, considering it has more or less been by consent it has held up remarkably well. Even the traffic flow has only recently increased, and a lot of that may mean people using their cars to shop/go to work instead of risking public transport, there by maintaining social distance.
    I believe a lot of the traffic increase may be people going to work as living on a main road I note that in the evenings/night the traffic is virtually zero which indicates people aren't just going for a swan (Except eric ).
    But does ‘always’ come into play in this scenario, we’re constantly reminded we’re in an unprecedented situation, perhaps it called for unprecedented measures. Not having a go or disputing what you’re saying but I’ve got this thing in my head that me and the missus have adhered to the rules as much as we can and I’d be devastated if I or her caught the virus during a second wave due to our country’s comparative relaxed approach, we’re both mid 60s and getting through it unscathed is our main objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Are you really keeping abreast of what happens in other countries? I know that headlines have been made in Germany, France, Italy, The Netherlands and Spain for starters regarding people defying lockdown rules.
    No response.