+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any stock market dabblers on here?

Any stock market dabblers on here?

We used to have a few didn't we? Usually after a stock market crash there'd be chat about what to invest in. What was the name of the board stock market "expert"?

Re: Any stock market dabblers on here?

Too late now, he's living in LA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    We used to have a few didn't we? Usually after a stock market crash there'd be chat about what to invest in. What was the name of the board stock market "expert"?
    I've gone for Glencore, I think their shares are cheap. It's not going to be a fast money earner though. It's a bit of a gamble on the economy bouncing back quickly, a gamble that seems less likely every week.

I started about 3 weeks ago thinking we were at the bottom of the market but if anything there's been a slight decrease since. Been doing a lot of research and just spread my money into things that look good value and could improve after everything starts getting a bit more normal. Might be a bit of a wait though.

Only one I think was a mistake was IAG (BA etc) but I'm tempted to buy a few more now they're so cheap. Airlines are a massive risk at the moment though so probably best avoided.

Who was that betting expert.
    Whose expertise revolved around Manu Celtic and Rangers.
    Funny as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Who was that betting expert.
    Whose expertise revolved around Manu Celtic and Rangers.
    Funny as he was.
    All Seeing Eye

Unilever should be a safe bet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I started about 3 weeks ago thinking we were at the bottom of the market but if anything there's been a slight decrease since. Been doing a lot of research and just spread my money into things that look good value and could improve after everything starts getting a bit more normal. Might be a bit of a wait though.

Only one I think was a mistake was IAG (BA etc) but I'm tempted to buy a few more now they're so cheap. Airlines are a massive risk at the moment though so probably best avoided.
    I think I'd avoid airlines, they'll be the last to operate anywhere near normality after this wave, and will be the first hit if there is a second wave. But, good luck with it. They are at a third of their peak - I can't see you losing much on them.

Haven't dabbled since the internet bubble around 1998 ? Remember making £800 in one day in a 'penny share', but that was it. Mind you, I think with the FTSE around 5900 it could go a fair way back up if this 'v' shaped recession and boom happens [!].

Just follow the Dai Jones Index mun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    All Seeing Eye
    Insider said betting expert.

Concentrate on protecting your pile of filthy lucre instead of ways to add to it because the US, EU, Blighty, China and Japan are all QE'ing (AKA monetising their debt, or more correctly legally counterfeiting their currencies) which will result in their purchasing power falling to nil.

Britain QE'd another 210 billion quid in March. That money, just like the previously magicked £435B of QE, was created from absolutely nothing. People might wonder why they are compelled by laws to pay taxes on their labour, their homes and a huge list of other things when the state could instead simply QE the amount it currently rakes in through taxation.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...itative-easing

Buy shares in :
    Masks, Hand Sanitizer, Gloves . Couriers , Freight transport , it ain't going away.

The next bad boy will see the world go nuts for this gear and services .

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I think I'd avoid airlines, they'll be the last to operate anywhere near normality after this wave, and will be the first hit if there is a second wave. But, good luck with it. They are at a third of their peak - I can't see you losing much on them.
    I'd slightly disagree as you buy when shares as lower now.

If you pick an airline that survives ie Lufthansa, BA you might find in 5 years with other smaller airline companies falling away , the bigger ones who survive will have a healthy stock value , would be a long term gamble ??

Great to see capitalism working

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd slightly disagree as you buy when shares as lower now.

If you pick an airline that survives ie Lufthansa, BA you might find in 5 years with other smaller airline companies falling away , the bigger ones who survive will have a healthy stock value , would be a long term gamble ??
    I think it is a short term gamble (if Croesy needs to cash in his chips in 12-24 months time he may have made very little) . In 5 years time, those shares will be double or triple their current value. I have the same hopes on mining companies. Those shares can still go south too, although the talk of quarantining arrivals for 14 days is a small step forward. The next step will be tests on arrival.

Airline shares are possibly the worst possible buy. It will be years before air travel gets back to normal, if ever. I see Warren Buffet has ditched all his airline shares which is a good indicator they should be avoided.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Airline shares are possibly the worst possible buy. It will be years before air travel gets back to normal, if ever. I see Warren Buffet has ditched all his airline shares which is a good indicator they should be avoided.
    Long term, I reckon Croesy will make good money on those shares. The airline industry will have to adapt to survive, and it will. It may mean lower capacity on planes, but you just know that the ticket prices will shoot up to cover that possibilitiy.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Great to see capitalism working
    For who?

I don and I work in the industry. The market collapsed quite a lot 6 weeks or so ago, but has recovered quite a bit. Anyone who is solely exposed to shares would have suffered the most. Diverse portfolios of shares, bonds, gilts, cash and overseas equities fare better and are less risky. Most of the people I deal with are more concerned with a steady growth and hanging on to what they've already got rather than gambling on hughe growth. The recent events have show that to be a sensible approach.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Long term, I reckon Croesy will make good money on those shares. The airline industry will have to adapt to survive, and it will. It may mean lower capacity on planes, but you just know that the ticket prices will shoot up to cover that possibilitiy.
    Easy Jet losing £5m a day. Virgin in financial difficulty, Virgin Australian bust and Flybe gone out of business. The Independent's Simon Calder reckons a number of other airlines are likely to go under and, while IAG are possibly less risky than others, I think there are plenty of other sectors that will do better. Don't forget one of the golden rules of investing is "Don't catch a falling knife". In other words don't buy shares that have fallen more heavily than others just because they look cheap.

When Boris makes his announcement tomorrow the media are saying he will impose lockdown arrangements for 2 weeks on all passengers arriving in the UK. There are a couple of airlines still operating some routes and some about to start. (IAG propose starting some routes from 1 July.) There is a suggestion that this announcement will prove to be the death knell for several airlines meaning even the stronger one's shares are likely to fall even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I agree they’re not a good buy for the short term but for a little gamble on long term returning to normal it was worth a go.

BA have good cash reserves though so unless they go bust in the next couple of years it’ll be fine eventually.

Don’t worry it’s only a small gamble, it wouldn’t bankrupt me if they did go bust.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For who?
    The companies getting bailouts from the taxpayers. Viva La Capitalism!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The companies getting bailouts from the taxpayers. Viva La Capitalism!
    Indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oronavirus-aid

I agree they’re not a good buy for the short term but for a little gamble on long term returning to normal it was worth a go.

BA have good cash reserves though so unless they go bust in the next couple of years it’ll be fine eventually.

Don’t worry it’s only a small gamble, it wouldn’t bankrupt me if they did go bust.
    I don't think the airline industry will fully recover as flying around the world for fun (which is my favourite pastime) will attract a greater stigma as time goes by - for environmental reasons.