+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is The Furthest You Have Travelled For A 2 Week Holiday?

Re: What Is The Furthest You Have Travelled For A 2 Week Holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I watched one of those border security programmes, and security had suspicions over a French guy who had flown in to Sydney for a few hours before his return flight. After some deliberation they couldn't find anything wrong and allowed him through to buy some 'baseball hats'. One or two about Oz jet lag on here, now that's 'proper' jet lag, takes a good week to shake it.
    i just drank and slept, didnt suffer from Jetlag at all while in Oz #lifehack avoid jetlag in Oz, drink , sleep , repeat

Banned

I really fancy the Philippines, but have no clue of where to go. Its my brides 50th in Feb and would love to look at somewhere like the Philippines. She wants a proper lazy chill holiday, we were going to do Singapore for a few nights and over to out fave place in Asia (Krabi) but would be interested in the Phllippines. Please let me know.
    It is a superb place. We went to the southern island, Mindanao. Like I say, the FCO advice is not to go there. Had some amazing experiences there, including riding in the back of a pickup truck to the top of a mountain on a dirt road - getting overtaken by a small bike (100cc maybe) with a plank of wood and 4 Korean girls sitting on there. Some of the most incredible food in a Chinese quarter of the main city there - including pineapple rice which cost about £2. It came in a massive pineapple.

It is a bit risky, but I have always struck up with locals in places I have been - usually complete strangers - and they are where you get some of your craziest situations. We were invited to a birthday party for one guy's mother, these guys know how to put on a good spread. We went in October/November and November 1st was spent in a cemetery (or memorial Park). That was completely crazy, a carnival atmosphere with kids eating candy floss at the graveside of a grandmother or uncle. I took some of my best pictures there but, sadly, my camera was stolen that day.

Riding a jeepney is also a great experience, and one I was on saw the driver pull into a petrol station. That's when we saw the petrol tank was a tank that was fixed to the floor right next to him, a padlock was duly opened and the petrol attendant filled it up.

Some things that aren't so great. Kids begging for money, that is a huge shock to the system. Also, be prepared to see lots of older Americans walking around hand in hand with a young woman. Sometimes the girls look like they are under 18 and maybe are. They always look disinterested, waiting for the day when he passes on so they can get his loot. We were talking to one guy on the flight home who had just spent a fortune building a house for him and his wife (Filipina) . He went there a week earlier to see his newly completed house. When he arrived, his wife basically told him to get out. He refused, the police were called. He was only allowed to own 40% of the house as a foreigner, which meant she had controlling interest. He eventually had to give in, or spend an unknown amount of time in a Philippine jail waiting for trial. His wife was 30, he showed us pictures and she looked really sleazy. He was in his late 50s I would say.

If you are going, just to sit at a beach and nothing else - then I recommend to stay closer to home because a beach is a beach. If the aim is to enjoy the local culture in addition, then I would recommend it, although not where I stayed because of the FCO warnings. Boracay is their "go-to" island and it looks beautiful.

I love travel but some places are just too far to go when you are limited to a two week break. On my recent trip to Oz we met a guy in Sydney that had travelled from the UK to Sydney for a week !! It was his only option as he and his girlfriend were teachers and had travelled for a wedding.

Anyone done similar?
    I’ve flown to Seattle for the day. Twice!

(Work, not pleasure though)

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    It is a superb place. We went to the southern island, Mindanao. Like I say, the FCO advice is not to go there. Had some amazing experiences there, including riding in the back of a pickup truck to the top of a mountain on a dirt road - getting overtaken by a small bike (100cc maybe) with a plank of wood and 4 Korean girls sitting on there. Some of the most incredible food in a Chinese quarter of the main city there - including pineapple rice which cost about £2. It came in a massive pineapple.

It is a bit risky, but I have always struck up with locals in places I have been - usually complete strangers - and they are where you get some of your craziest situations. We were invited to a birthday party for one guy's mother, these guys know how to put on a good spread. We went in October/November and November 1st was spent in a cemetery (or memorial Park). That was completely crazy, a carnival atmosphere with kids eating candy floss at the graveside of a grandmother or uncle. I took some of my best pictures there but, sadly, my camera was stolen that day.

Riding a jeepney is also a great experience, and one I was on saw the driver pull into a petrol station. That's when we saw the petrol tank was a tank that was fixed to the floor right next to him, a padlock was duly opened and the petrol attendant filled it up.

Some things that aren't so great. Kids begging for money, that is a huge shock to the system. Also, be prepared to see lots of older Americans walking around hand in hand with a young woman. Sometimes the girls look like they are under 18 and maybe are. They always look disinterested, waiting for the day when he passes on so they can get his loot. We were talking to one guy on the flight home who had just spent a fortune building a house for him and his wife (Filipina) . He went there a week earlier to see his newly completed house. When he arrived, his wife basically told him to get out. He refused, the police were called. He was only allowed to own 40% of the house as a foreigner, which meant she had controlling interest. He eventually had to give in, or spend an unknown amount of time in a Philippine jail waiting for trial. His wife was 30, he showed us pictures and she looked really sleazy. He was in his late 50s I would say.

If you are going, just to sit at a beach and nothing else - then I recommend to stay closer to home because a beach is a beach. If the aim is to enjoy the local culture in addition, then I would recommend it, although not where I stayed because of the FCO warnings. Boracay is their "go-to" island and it looks beautiful.
    Thanks for taking the time with that reply. I would love to stay nearer home, but our winter holiday falls in Feb, meaning going long haul, having done Vietnam and Thailand in the last few years. I've usually booked by now, but at the moment it doesn't make any sense to plan too far ahead.

Thanks for taking the time with that reply. I would love to stay nearer home, but our winter holiday falls in Feb, meaning going long haul, having done Vietnam and Thailand in the last few years. I've usually booked by now, but at the moment it doesn't make any sense to plan too far ahead.
    I think it will be a long time before we can queue at airports and sit on planes with the confidence that no-one around us has the virus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think it will be a long time before we can queue at airports and sit on planes with the confidence that no-one around us has the virus.
    I also think some countries will be extremely stringent on who they allow into their country, and we may find that many places will be inaccessible purely because we are British.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I also think some countries will be extremely stringent on who they allow into their country, and we may find that many places will be inaccessible purely because we are British.
    Sure and I’m not so sure all those Chinese students will be coming back here, all those private blocks they built for them up in smoke