+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Furthest You Have Travelled For A 2 Week Holiday?

What Is The Furthest You Have Travelled For A 2 Week Holiday?

I love travel but some places are just too far to go when you are limited to a two week break. On my recent trip to Oz we met a guy in Sydney that had travelled from the UK to Sydney for a week !! It was his only option as he and his girlfriend were teachers and had travelled for a wedding.

Anyone done similar?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: What Is The Furthest You Have Travelled For A 2 Week Holiday?

I went to a wedding in Sydney. Guy there in the army (Archie Sykes, 2 Rifles) had traveled from the uk to celebrate the wedding was there for 24 hours before returning to the Uk.

He looked asleep on his feet most of the time.

Didn’t see any point in that at all but well done for making the effort

Not a holiday but I did a day-trip for a meeting in Chicago once.

Vancouver, Whistler and Vancouver Island for a holiday.

Cuba

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I love travel but some places are just too far to go when you are limited to a two week break. On my recent trip to Oz we met a guy in Sydney that had travelled from the UK to Sydney for a week !! It was his only option as he and his girlfriend were teachers and had travelled for a wedding.

Anyone done similar?
    I heard someone on Radio 4 who who travelled to NZ for a one day meeting. The reason was, he said, to maintain his air miles or something. Apparently a few people do the same, jumping on a plane to Tokyo, arriving, then jumping on a plane back. His meeting was cancelled mid-flight.

Apart froma three-week holiday to visit Australia many moons ago I have been to all the other countries I have visited (and that includes every country in Europe and quite a few further afield, including China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia & South Korea. I was meant to be in Kazakhstan and Kyrgystran next week, Azerbaijan next month and Argentina in November, all holidays and for less than 2 two weeks.

Trecco

I went to Australia for a week once. Wasn't really a holiday though. Left on a Sunday afternoon, arrived Tuesday morning. I was fine when I got there. It took me a week to get back to normal when I got back. Left Monday morning and got home late monday night. A 40-hour Monday.

when i backpacked around Oz, my best mate came for the 1st 10 days then had to get back to work

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Trecco
    Pretty impressive (if you live in Australia)

Cancun

Antarctica which included the Falklands.

International

I went to Thailand flying into Bangkok for a 10 day visit. But to be fair it wasn't so far as I was almoast half way there when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    Antarctica which included the Falklands.
    I had a 'freebie' there in the 80s ;-)

I watched one of those border security programmes, and security had suspicions over a French guy who had flown in to Sydney for a few hours before his return flight. After some deliberation they couldn't find anything wrong and allowed him through to buy some 'baseball hats'. One or two about Oz jet lag on here, now that's 'proper' jet lag, takes a good week to shake it.

Costa Rica. Well worth it then took a day trip to Nicaragua from there

Japan and South Africa the furthest for 2 weeks (Cape Town just further than Tokyo I think).

Been further, but always for a longer time.

Philippines. Great place.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Apart froma three-week holiday to visit Australia many moons ago I have been to all the other countries I have visited (and that includes every country in Europe and quite a few further afield, including China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia & South Korea. I was meant to be in Kazakhstan and Kyrgystran next week, Azerbaijan next month and Argentina in November, all holidays and for less than 2 two weeks.
    Your travel-brag posts are the best on the interest, I've lost count of the number of times you have mentioned visiting every country in Europe

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Your travel-brag posts are the best on the interest, I've lost count of the number of times you have mentioned visiting every country in Europe

Did you know TBG has visited every country in Europe

just saying

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Philippines. Great place.
    Yep, great place. Flying over from Singapore and the sea was a beautiful blue, turquoise around the many beautiful islands that you could see from the plane.

Stayed at the "City of Dreams" in Manila on the way back - incredibly luxurious, but a bit blingy, for £100 a night. I went to the Southern Island, which was on the FCO red list because of insurgency - so I travelled with insurance that was probably going to be invalidated as soon as I made a claim.

Vanuatu is next on my list.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I watched one of those border security programmes, and security had suspicions over a French guy who had flown in to Sydney for a few hours before his return flight. After some deliberation they couldn't find anything wrong and allowed him through to buy some 'baseball hats'. One or two about Oz jet lag on here, now that's 'proper' jet lag, takes a good week to shake it.
    Worst jet-lag I had was on that trip to the Philippines. We arrived at the hotel at 2am, slept until 7. For the next 6 days I was waking at 2am and was completely awake. On the sixth day, we drank with some locals, and we stayed up through the night until early morning. Spent the day just lazing around. Went to bed about 8pm - so about 40 hours without sleep, completely exhausted. Woke at 2am again. Only way i got around it was listening to 5 live on Tune in. It's a bit strange listening the the Drive Time show at midnight.

I really fancy the Philippines, but have no clue of where to go. Its my brides 50th in Feb and would love to look at somewhere like the Philippines. She wants a proper lazy chill holiday, we were going to do Singapore for a few nights and over to out fave place in Asia (Krabi) but would be interested in the Phllippines. Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Did you know TBG has visited every country in Europe

just saying
    We all have our problems

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Vanuatu is next on my list.
    great place, i did a few days as a dive master in Vanuatu, just helping a guy / company out while i was in sydney, it was all work though

some world class reefs and a WW2 ship with tanks still on the deck , really shallow so would only need a padi open water card t dive them

I regret not going with all my dive mates though, at the time i just didnt have the money, one of my lifes regrets that i might have mentioned it on here in the past