+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arsenal v Man U 1979

Arsenal v Man U 1979

Just finished on ITV, rerun of the ‘79 Cup Final, exciting last few minutes, strange hearing the renditions of ‘You'll Never Walk Alone’ from the terraces, reminded me that we used to sing it as well. Wouldn’t dream of it now unless you’re a Celtic or Liverpool fan.

Banned

Re: Arsenal v Man U 1979

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Just finished on ITV, rerun of the ‘79 Cup Final, exciting last few minutes, strange hearing the renditions of ‘You'll Never Walk Alone’ from the terraces, reminded me that we used to sing it as well. Wouldn’t dream of it now unless you’re a Celtic or Liverpool fan.
    I remember it being sung in 86/87 ish. I didn't know it was a Liverpool song, I thought it was a decent song at the time. Like you say, it would not be sung now.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I remember it being sung in 86/87 ish. I didn't know it was a Liverpool song, I thought it was a decent song at the time. Like you say, it would not be sung now.
    Definitely sung at the Curtis Welsh Cup Final which was 89(?). City had a remix version which had hand claps interspersed throughout it.

Regarding Man United, it can be heard in the on clips of the 1983 cup final. Strange when you think of its Liverpool connotations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Definitely sung at the Curtis Welsh Cup Final which was 89(?). City had a remix version which had hand claps interspersed throughout it.

Regarding Man United, it can be heard in the on clips of the 1983 cup final. Strange when you think of its Liverpool connotations.
    That was '88. Was talking about that game recently funny enough.

Our version seemed a bit more aggressive, quite punctuated as I remember it.

I also remember it being sung against Wolves in Division 3 in 1988 - but some were singing "You'll never walk again".

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    That was '88. Was talking about that game recently funny enough.

Our version seemed a bit more aggressive, quite punctuated as I remember it.

I also remember it being sung against Wolves in Division 3 in 1988 - but some were singing "You'll never walk again".
    Good shout, I seem to remember that change of lyrics too. Definitely “You’ll Never Walk Alone” sang in some games. I’m assuming it was dependent on the nature of the game and opposition. That said the chants and songs in that era were more aggressive if not in lyrics probably more with intent.

Up there with the worst songs ever.. Fields of Anthenry or whatever it is has to be another along with marching on together and land of my fathers

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Up there with the worst songs ever.. Fields of Anthenry or whatever it is has to be another along with marching on together and land of my fathers
    The Liverpool version of ‘Fields of Athenry’ is top notch

Interesting that you mention the exciting last few mins as that is exactly what I recall about the match and yet it is often referred to as a great game.

It wasn’t but the end was very exciting.

I remember having a couple of quid on Man U.
    I will never forget when I was in the bookies this old guy, unwashed and dirty clothes put a hundred quid on a horse.

I forgot about this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHkQYDoVJ0

Fan****ingtastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I forgot about this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHkQYDoVJ0

Fan****ingtastic.
    That was some game too.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That was some game too.
    For the Hibs fans it had everything. Ups, downs, injury time winner, ending a 114 year wait to win the cup and Rangers officials and fans whining like ****ing babies about a pitch invasion.