+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How can Jersey be so far ahead of us ?

Re: How can Jersey be so far ahead of us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Furlough is one step from redundancy, I’m surprised people can’t see that.
    A guy lives opposite me works on the shop floor. He wasn’t furloughed as he’s one of our best operators but played holy hell to be furloughed and was granted his wish.

After 7 weeks in the house is tune is starting to change.

“Is it picking up?”

“Not really”

“Can see redundancies now”

“No shit”

“You’ll be alright they’ll look after you”

“Well I should hope so I am going to work every day”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We took a 20% temporary pay cut before furlough and were expected to do less hours from home but I was doing more as I just couldn’t get to grips with working from home. Not with the kids off school.

Then when they furloughed the staff we were back up to 100% and I’m back in the office. I’ve done a fair bit of overtime which don’t get paid for but as you say rather that than be furloughed.

I was nearly furloughed for being too vocal about the owner taking the piss with the amount of people furloughed and the strain it’s leaving on the rest of us, but without blowing my own trumpet it was a hollow offer they know they would be cutting their nose off to spite their face if they furloughed me.
    Hopefully you can stick your two fingers up at the owner when it settles down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Why does someone on 30k need more free money to live than someone on 20k? Why does someone on 30k deserve more money for sitting on their arse at home? In a few months someone doing to feck all will be on 90 quid a week.

This is one of the reasons why framing the scheme around maintaining jobs was a mistake. The other major reason is that firms are still going to lay people off at the end of it.
    Because their outgoings will be more.

We don’t live in a communist country thank god. They would also have paid more in tax than those on 20k.

What about those on more than 30k? Look at the hit they are taking.

Banned

A guy lives opposite me works on the shop floor. He wasn’t furloughed as he’s one of our best operators but played holy hell to be furloughed and was granted his wish.

After 7 weeks in the house is tune is starting to change.

“Is it picking up?”

“Not really”

“Can see redundancies now”

“No shit”

“You’ll be alright they’ll look after you”

“Well I should hope so I am going to work every day”
    Madness. He's taken the easy option, and it will be the worst option.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Read my post above. The welsh government keeps telling us what he says on this matter has nothing to do with Wales. But they'll still blame him when it fcuks up.
    That has nothing to do with what our conversation was about. Do you want me to quote it all back to you?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Hopefully you can stick your two fingers up at the owner when it settles down.
    Fully expecting pay cuts once the free money runs out but having worked and bit been furloughed I hope to be in a stronger position to argue against a pay cut for those of us that continues to work. Get rid of the dead wood instead. Selfish? Maybe but why should I lose thousands a pounds of year looking after my family to keep a few lazy bastards in a job and trust me we have more than a few in my office.

I’d get a nice lump if I was made redundant and any other time I might have taken the risk and took voluntary redundancy (not that that will be offered) and get out of a dying industry but it’s not the time to be looking for new work.

Banned

Fully expecting pay cuts once the free money runs out but having worked and bit been furloughed I hope to be in a stronger position to argue against a pay cut for those of us that continues to work. Get rid of the dead wood instead. Selfish? Maybe but why should I lose thousands a pounds of year looking after my family to keep a few lazy bastards in a job and trust me we have more than a few in my office.

I’d get a nice lump if I was made redundant and any other time I might have taken the risk and took voluntary redundancy (not that that will be offered) and get out of a dying industry but it’s not the time to be looking for new work.
    Yeah, just keeping in work is the challenge at the moment. If you have a decent redundancy to come then best sit tight.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Some companies are operating fine (albeit with lower production) without the furloughed workers. Those companies that are furloughing all their staff are likely to be returning as a smaller concern. The bigger companies will be thinking "How do we automate this so that, the next time a pandemic happens, we can carry on as normal". There will be reassessments in all companies, I think. "Efficiencies" is a word I expect to hear a lot of.
    I was in a local printers the other day , they were operating at 80% of revenue with 30% staff. They had changed the type of work they were doing.
    Their staff wont all be getting their positions back
    Its seems to be the same story everywhere that is still working.
    A good opportunity to lay off the lazy workers .

Because their outgoings will be more.

We don’t live in a communist country thank god. They would also have paid more in tax than those on 20k.

What about those on more than 30k? Look at the hit they are taking.
    So why isn't our welfare system based on how much your previous job was paying or how much your outgoings are?

It's an about turn in how we view people at risk from redundancy and people don't seem to have noticed.

I'd be interested to know where the 2.5k figure comes from.

Outgoings higher? So it you were lucky enough to have the capital and credit rating to buy a house the government should pay for it for a few months. Most expenses are naturally reduced by the lockdown, arrange a mortgage hol, what happened to 'cutting your cloth accordingly' that used to be preached daily at benefit claimants and the lowest paid.

As for the C word, get a grip. It's the new Godwin's law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Ok , other than the obvious Jersey is tiny compared to the UK .

My mates are playing golf over there today , only two balls. They are allowed to visit friends a maximum of 4 people which is getting raised next week.
    Pubs are reopening next week . With social distancing .

My friends painting and decorating business is back to work on Monday , all on outside jobs but they are back in work.

Surely if we were sensible , we are quite capable of keeping our distance from each other and going about our business?
    Jimmy, you have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Echoed by a couple of people I know who work in different A&E departments. Both reckon Friday night was bonkers. One, who works in Princess of Wales, said she knew of colleagues who suffered verbal abuse by some drunks and police had to invervene.

I cannot imagine how social distancing would work in pubs. A queuing system, like the supermarkets, wouldn't work - generally people display patience outside Tesco, but I can't see that level of patience happening. The first night pubs are allowed to reopen will see crowds going out. Pubs won't have the capacity to deal with that, so what happens then? People buying cans and bottles from local shops and getting pissed on the pavement?
    It will be like the wild west the first few weeks, people looking to shag or fight whatever moves after three pints!

International

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    This might be the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. Like it was written by someone who has not looked at a graph since GCSE maths.
    you don't read much then

I can answer the OP

Jersey has not had one death from Covid 19.
    Not before or after our 7 week lockdown.
    12 people died with Covid 19 which is not the same as from it.
    They've guessed another 12 may have died with it from something else.

A lockdown when we dont have a problem is lunacy.
    They have been clever and spent 14 million of taxpayers money buildng the equivalent per head of population with the UK a 40 thousand bed Nightingale hospital.

Oh and I played golf at lunchtime 9 holes. Lost 1 down.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I can answer the OP

Jersey has not had one death from Covid 19.
    Not before or after our 7 week lockdown.
    12 people died with Covid 19 which is not the same as from it.
    They've guessed another 12 may have died with it from something else.

A lockdown when we dont have a problem is lunacy.
    They have been clever and spent 14 million of taxpayers money buildng the equivalent per head of population with the UK a 40 thousand bed Nightingale hospital.

Oh and I played golf at lunchtime 9 holes. Lost 1 down.
    Thank you .

Are they allowing visitors in and out now?

Where do you play ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Jimmy, you have a PM.
    I could see you had sent me something Paul , but what it actually was hasn't appeared .

International

I could see you had sent me something Paul , but what it actually was hasn't appeared .
    Maybe its in self quarantine. You'll get it in 14 days

Thank you .

Are they allowing visitors in and out now?

Where do you play ?
    Visitors soon unless they have pissed the airlines off too much.
    Royal Jersey. 9 holes only at the moment.

I prefer La Moye but that's not my club.