+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stay alert

Re: Stay alert

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He probably isn't ok all of the time. I think that he says certain things as a way of protecting himself. Hartley is alright, talks sense when it comes to football and some other stuff. When he's on one, he doesn't like to see other peoples opinions. That's ok, i sort of get it.
    Thats a bit rich coming from you

Ive yet to see you agree with anyonelses opinion on a player

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying it's an excuse, but it is a reason for it. People still need to be punished for their crimes whatever their circumstances are.

But we can still be sympathetic to the reasons they're in these situations and try and better society so we have less cases of it in the future.
    Oh please, Sludge is always making excuses. You only have to look at the Penygraig thread. Painting out the girl to be the victim with barely a mention of the actual victims.

This whole argument has started because I have said they need to take some personal responibility we cant keep making excuses for their behaviour. They have to be accountable.

If I went and tried to an armed robbery on a post office to get cash to pay for my gambling debts would I be afforded the same sympathy for my addiction / illness? No of course I wouldnt, and nor would I expect it either.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You dont think so ? I beg to differ

Ok I will leave you to it

Dont cross the road till the little green man lights up
    Are you going to leave this time or are you going to come back for more?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes, of course there are middle class people who are doing it. Obviously it effects poor areas more but you cant just keep using that as an excuse. Plenty of people from poor areas manage to make something of their lives.

I come from a council estate, do I use my background as an excuse for my issues? No.

So whats your answer? We just excuse them of all their criminal behaviour because they didnt have the best start to life? Dont make them take responsibility for their actions?
    Kids from poor backgrounds aren't excused for their criminal behavior, facts show that they suffer more than anyone because of criminal behaviour, whether direct or indirect.

Thats a bit rich coming from you

Ive yet to see you agree with anyonelses opinion on a player
    I think that i may have agreed with you once or twice

Are you going to leave this time or are you going to come back for more?
    I have said all I need to say

Press the button and wait for the little green man

You will be safe then

Oh please, Sludge is always making excuses. You only have to look at the Penygraig thread. Painting out the girl to be the victim with barely a mention of the actual victims.

This whole argument has started because I have said they need to take some personal responibility we cant keep making excuses for their behaviour. They have to be accountable.

If I went and tried to an armed robbery on a post office to get cash to pay for my gambling debts would I be afforded the same sympathy for my addiction / illness? No of course I wouldnt, and nor would I expect it either.
    I agree with you that people need to take responsibility for their actions, although to do that, don't they need to be a bit stronger mentally? That's where the support comes in, a way of helping people to take responsibility for their actions and more importantly, not to repeat them.

They are accountable though, do you think she won't be locked up?

Kids from poor backgrounds aren't excused for their criminal behavior, facts show that they suffer more than anyone because of criminal behaviour, whether direct or indirect.
    Harsher sentences and harsher conditions are needed. Kids see going to prison as a badge of honour. Its no deterrent.

They are accountable though, do you think she won't be locked up?
    Will she? If Sludge had his way probably not. If she showed him her chest.

Cheers

Yeah, 6 months since I had a serious bump in the road (November 6th) but in the main, touch wood, in the last 3 years there have been very few bumps.

Have a fiver on the football on a Saturday only now just for a bit of interest. Thats why I know how long its been as its been 8 weeks since the National League last played. I havent been tempted to bet anything else which is good. Some boys I know are gambling on russian table tennis and people playing FIFA against each other to get their fix.

Just keep away from the roulette wheel. Ironically ive always been good with money and im not daft, but put me in front of a roullette wheel and all sense out of the window. Chase, chase, chase.

Been working for the last 4 years on bringing the debt down, will be another 3 providing I dont have many serious bumps and I should finally have the weight off my shoulders.

Gambling is easier to hide than drugs or alcohol but its mentally exhausting.
    This is so spot on. The rest of the post sounds like me tbh.

For about 18 months poker was my sole income, I was studious, careful bankroll management and above all I knew I was a winner in the low stakes games I was playing, it was genuinely a job (although not a very well paying one for the time I was putting in).

But give me 10k and a free weekend and I will have lost it all on sports by the middle of sunday.

I don't understand what triggers me but I also have managed to avoid betting on sports during the lockdown period.

Harsher sentences and harsher conditions are needed. Kids see going to prison as a badge of honour. Its no detterent.
    Better education, better living standards-housing, Job opportunities and re distribution of wealth would do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

For about 18 months poker was my sole income, I was studious, careful bankroll management and above all I knew I was a winner in the low stakes games I was playing, it was genuinely a job (although not a very well paying one for the time I was putting in).

But give me 10k and a free weekend and I will have lost it all on sports by the middle of sunday.

I don't understand what triggers me but I also have managed to avoid betting on sports during the lockdown period.
    And i suppose it's not an addiction people understand or show much empathy towards as it involves losing money. Well done mate for keeping it on the straight

Will she?
    You don't think she'll get locked up for murder?

Well done.

Theyve started clamping down on the industry first with the FOBTs and now you cant gamble using credit cards as cash which will hopefully be helpful to those with problems and gamble more than they can afford. 10 years and tens of thousands of pounds too late for me but better late than never.

You don't think she'll get locked up for murder?
    Well according to Sludge thats for the courts to decide and it will probably be manslaughter on the grounds of she didnt know what she was doing.

Well done.

Theyve started clamping down on the industry first with the FOBTs and now you cant gamble using credit cards as cash which will hopefully be helpful to those with problems and gamble more than they can afford. 10 years and tens of thousands of pounds too late for me but better late than never.
    Why should the gambling companies put these measures in place? Surely it's the responsibility of the punter? If they become addicted or gamble more than they can afford, then **** 'em-right?

Why should the gambling companies put these measures in place? Surely it's the responsibility of the punter? If they become addicted or gamble more than they can afford, then **** 'em-right?
    Absolutely, the punter is ultimately responsible for their actions and losses, no-one else, no crying from me, never caught me smashing up a machine, but if it helps others then all the best to them.

However, I dont believe I said "**** em" with regards all people with addictions. Just the ones begging, robbing and stealing off others to fund it and then blaming the "illness" for their actions.

Absolutely, the punter is ultimately responsible for their actions and losses, no-one else, no crying from me, never caught me smashing up a machine, but if it helps others then all the best to them.

However, I dont believe I said "**** em" with regards all people with addictions. Just the ones begging, robbing and stealing off others to fund it and then blaming the "illness" for their actions.
    My view has developed over time. There is absolutely no doubt that there is something wrong with me, something inside me that shuts off my regular analytical (overly) cautious thought process. But at every stage I could have easily stopped myself from taking the actions I did. Those not taking personal responsibility will never actually begin to understand themselves because they start with a lie. That isn't to say that some people haven't been dealt an absolute shit hand that would force almost anyone to look for a release. I have had it pretty easy really.

Addiction is like a virus except the people it attacks are lonely and/or unfulfilled.

👍

My view has developed over time. There is absolutely no doubt that there is something wrong with me, something inside me that shuts off my regular analytical (overly) cautious thought process. But at every stage I could have easily stopped myself from taking the actions I did. Those not taking personal responsibility will never actually begin to understand themselves because they start with a lie. That isn't to say that some people haven't been dealt an absolute shit hand that would force almost anyone to look for a release. I have had it pretty easy really.

Addiction is like a virus except the people it attacks are lonely and/or unfulfilled.
    Yes, I lied to myself for a long time that I had a problem. Until you admit it to yourself youve got no chance of beating addiction in my opinion. Youve got to want to stop. Cant keep blaming everyone or everything for your actions.

Talk about mixed messages.
    Sunday Johnson says go back to work a.s.a.p.
    Then today chancellor extends the furlough scheme to October

International

some people are not allowed to go back to work, like people who work in theatres cinemas restaurants pubs cafes. They will continue to need support.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Talk about mixed messages.
    Sunday Johnson says go back to work a.s.a.p.
    Then today chancellor extends the furlough scheme to October
    From August 1st the companies are going to have to contribute towards furlough so its hopefully a way of easing people back into work gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    some people are not allowed to go back to work, like people who work in theatres cinemas restaurants pubs cafes. They will continue to need support.
    Smackheads too. Dont forget them. They need support. Spare some change please mate? No **** off.