+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Electrical Retailer Hell

My Electrical Retailer Hell

Ordered 3 items on line a tumble dryer, an ipad and some headphones (for birthday gifts). Following some initial confusing emails around delivery dates, it was agreed that my Tumble would be delivered yesterday, and the smaller items would be delivered by today. So...............

The Tumble arrived as promised yesterday, I unpacked it plugged it in and it doesn't work, making funny grinding noises and making a buzzing noise in the switch. So after a painful hour using the chat facility with the manufacturer have an engineer coming out Friday.

Today, no stuff, so I have managed to contact them through messaging and they are suggesting the item was distributed by them to their courier but the courier never received them, hence me not getting them. The retailer has proposed that I now wait 14 days for them to complete an investigation, when they will update me. I have requested my money back as they have not carried out their part of the transaction and delivered within 4-7 days (as was detailed)

Anyone with similar experiences?

International

Re: My Electrical Retailer Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Ordered 3 items on line a tumble dryer, an ipad and some headphones (for birthday gifts). Following some initial confusing emails around delivery dates, it was agreed that my Tumble would be delivered yesterday, and the smaller items would be delivered by today. So...............

The Tumble arrived as promised yesterday, I unpacked it plugged it in and it doesn't work, making funny grinding noises and making a buzzing noise in the switch. So after a painful hour using the chat facility with the manufacturer have an engineer coming out Friday.

Today, no stuff, so I have managed to contact them through messaging and they are suggesting the item was distributed by them to their courier but the courier never received them, hence me not getting them. The retailer has proposed that I now wait 14 days for them to complete an investigation, when they will update me. I have requested my money back as they have not carried out their part of the transaction and delivered within 4-7 days (as was detailed)

Stupid question I know but did you take the packing out of the back of the tumble dryer?

All packing removed, no transit bolts in place.

My mrs had a text last week from Yodel saying some stuff had just been delivered, but there was nothing there.
    Contacted Yodel next day, they said they would investigate and get back in 24 hrs.
    2 days later mrs contacted Yodel and said there'd been no promised contact and still no deliv.
    They said sorry but item had not yet been sent, then promised it would *definitely* be delivered on Sat (2 days ago)
    Contacted them again today and said still no deliv, told to wait tillTues.
    She co

Ordered 3 items on line a tumble dryer, an ipad and some headphones (for birthday gifts).
    Who was the tumbler dryer a gift for? Are you sure that's what they really wanted?

Tumble dryer may have got damaged when landing on the floor after being posted.

I ordered a Chinese meal the other week it was 15 minutes late.
    I was bloody livid.

HERMES. Avoid like the plague. I ordered a replacement battery for our landline phone and paid extra for Royal Mail first class delivery. The ebay vendor then decided to "upgrade" to Hermes delivery. The item was tracked, delayed, eventually out for delivery with a courier but never arrived. Hermes occasionally updated their tracking message with another "delayed 24 hours" message, the last one 11 days ago. Currently in dispute with the seller who wants to send another battery.....by Hermes. No thanks. Refund. I can only emphasise that anyone reading this should never contemplate using Hermes. Check with a vendor before purchasing. I (and other family members) have had nothing but hassle from a company that evades responsibility for lost/damaged/stolen items.
    Meanwhile, I do hope your issues are resolved. For electrical items, ao.com have been brilliant for us.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    HERMES. Avoid like the plague. I ordered a replacement battery for our landline phone and paid extra for Royal Mail first class delivery. The ebay vendor then decided to "upgrade" to Hermes delivery. The item was tracked, delayed, eventually out for delivery with a courier but never arrived. Hermes occasionally updated their tracking message with another "delayed 24 hours" message, the last one 11 days ago. Currently in dispute with the seller who wants to send another battery.....by Hermes. No thanks. Refund. I can only emphasise that anyone reading this should never contemplate using Hermes. Check with a vendor before purchasing. I (and other family members) have had nothing but hassle from a company that evades responsibility for lost/damaged/stolen items.
    Meanwhile, I do hope your issues are resolved. For electrical items, ao.com have been brilliant for us.
    Totally agree Re. Hermes. Awful company. "Lost" several items sent to me over the past couple of months, even though the items were marked as "out for delivery". Cannot talk to anyone on the phone. Chatbot is worse than useless, send you round in circles. Avoid like the plague (no pun intented).

Check out a recent episode of Joe Lycett's Channel 4 programme for an expose on Hermes.

I'd tell the engineer to bring a new dryer with him and take the old one away.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd tell the engineer to bring a new dryer with him and take the old one away.
    Not the way over here, although I suppose I could stamp my feet, but probably elongate the situation, so i'll be content if he can repair it as if was new.

International

Not the way over here, although I suppose I could stamp my feet, but probably elongate the situation, so i'll be content if he can repair it as if was new.
    But it IS new!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it IS new!!!!
    Yes, I know. I mean return it to new state. The trouble is with this retailer they are very hard to engage with 'because of the ongoing COVID19 situation', they only answer what they want to answer. The consumer act 2015 probably states that it should be replaced, but I'm not that precious about new v new spare part in a machine, especially as I would have a longer wait. As long as its working OK, as it would have in its new condition.

International

I bought one from Currys before christmas. It was probably a little more expensive because it was from Currys and because I got one that doesn't need a tube to vent it, and they are always a bit dearer. But they delivered it a couple of day later and it works a treat.
    It may have been a bit more expensive (but I looked at prices on line and there wasn't much difference) but it meant if something went wrong I could just walk into the shop in town and complain and stamp my foot. As it happens the service was excellent and the machine is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Check out a recent episode of Joe Lycett's Channel 4 programme for an expose on Hermes.
    My daughter (how has had Hermes drivers lie about making deliveries, for example) has seen it and said that items were being stolen by couriers and auctioned off. Theoretically after 30 days as "undeliverable". In reality drivers are knicking stuff and selling it off straight away. I'm not going to watch the programme on My4, mainly because I'd ending up throwing something at the TV and needing a new one. Quite how Hermes are legally allowed to carry on trading is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Totally agree Re. Hermes. Awful company. "Lost" several items sent to me over the past couple of months, even though the items were marked as "out for delivery". Cannot talk to anyone on the phone. Chatbot is worse than useless, send you round in circles. Avoid like the plague (no pun intented).
    This /\
    At least the retailer has now conceded and organised a refund.

DO NOT USE HERMES

...but you know that! I hope you managed to get refunds on your items, too.

I've heard stories but so far my Hermes experience ok. Had 3 parcels delivered last 2 days no problem.
    Suggest the company should be slated, not the poorly paid drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I've heard stories but so far my Hermes experience ok. Had 3 parcels delivered last 2 days no problem.
    Suggest the company should be slated, not the poorly paid drivers.
    If an item is tracked as being out for delivery and the driver doesnt deliver.....
    In another example, the driver claimed to have attempted delivery, left a card to that effect, item went missing and CCTV proved the driver had lied. Never went to the house. Item never showed up, presumed stolen. Both Hermes (worst customer service bar Ryanair) and drivers to blame.

This /\
    At least the retailer has now conceded and organised a refund.

DO NOT USE HERMES

...but you know that! I hope you managed to get refunds on your items, too.
    This maybe a bit of a daft question but what choice of courier company does the buyer have. You say 'do not use Hermes' but isnt that out of our control?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    This maybe a bit of a daft question but what choice of courier company does the buyer have. You say 'do not use Hermes' but isnt that out of our control?
    true but you can ask the vendor what courier company they use and if they say Hermes don't buy anything and tell them why.
    They'll soon get the message if enough people say it to them. Nowadays it is a very rare item that you can only get from 1 supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I try to check before making any purchase. In the case of the battery for the landline the website stated "first class Royal Mail"...but that's not what I got. I was "upgraded" to Hermes without being given the option.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I ordered a Chinese meal the other week it was 15 minutes late.
    I was bloody livid.
    When my Chinese takeaway arrived last night, the delivery driver started shouting “ Isolate, isolate”.
    I said “ no your not, i only ordered it 30 mins ago !!”

I get that it's not the way over there, but surely that's mostly just down to the mentality of the customer. If a retailer sends you a faulty product, surely you are legally able to refuse it and expect it to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I get that it's not the way over there, but surely that's mostly just down to the mentality of the customer. If a retailer sends you a faulty product, surely you are legally able to refuse it and expect it to be replaced?
    It was a choice between exchanging for a new one and going through the pain of arranging it and then waiting another 7 to 10 days.

....Or having this one 'repaired', which has now been done.