+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1990 in music

Re: 1990 in music

No surprise that grunge came along shortly afterwards!

Top 10 Bands list is solid IMO.
    With the exception of an Indian Summer 5/6 later...probably better to my years than anything since.

I see the Manchester scene was the marmite of it's day, and people really didn't like Gazza.

Also, random Twin Peaks at No.2 on the "phrase" list.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    I see the Manchester scene was the marmite of it's day, and people really didn't like Gazza.

Also, random Twin Peaks at No.2 on the "phrase" list.
    Didn't like him singing maybe but this was the year he was immortalised after blubbing for England.

See the Poll Tax riots came in a respectable 6. Quite surprising for Record Mirror readers.

As soon as I read Best Group - The Pet Shop Boys, I had to move on lol

The fact that three of the top ten 'groups' are actually duos speaks volumes for 1990 - a grim year for music.

International

I notices how many people/groups were in both the best and worst categories. It just demonstrates how subjective the thing was.

International

And unchained melody at the top of the singles. I thought the righteous brothers were gone long before '90. Was it a re-release?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And unchained melody at the top of the singles. I thought the righteous brothers were gone long before '90. Was it a re-release?
    Yes. It was used in the film, Ghost. It was originally released in 1965 when it made no 14. The song was originally written for a movie about a prison, called Unchained, which flopped on release in 1955. Todd Duncan sang the original, which was never released. Within 8 weeks of the film's premier, 14 different acts had released singles of the song.

The Righteous Brothers version (though only one of them actually sang it) sold well over half a million copies in less than a month and quickly became the year's biggest seller. At the time it held the record for number of cd and cassette single sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. It was used in the film, Ghost. It was originally released in 1965 when it made no 14. The song was originally written for a movie about a prison, called Unchained, which flopped on release in 1955. Todd Duncan sang the original, which was never released. Within 8 weeks of the film's premier, 14 different acts had released singles of the song.

The Righteous Brothers version (though only one of them actually sang it) sold well over half a million copies in less than a month and quickly became the year's biggest seller. At the time it held the record for number of cd and cassette single sales.
    Jimmy Young had a no.1 with it in 1955. Still alive at 95 is Jimmy, TTFN and What’s The Recipe Today?

International

Must have been an unexpected little () bonus for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    As soon as I read Best Group - The Pet Shop Boys, I had to move on lol
    Pet Shop boys did some decent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The fact that three of the top ten 'groups' are actually duos speaks volumes for 1990 - a grim year for music.
    This will be the first time Mozzer and Heathblue would've ever heard of any of these songs.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Must have been an unexpected little () bonus for them.
    Bobby Vinton almost hit the top that year with Blue Velvet, from a Nivea advert, having previously charted in 1963. The Joker hit the top spot 17 years after featuring as an album track thanks to a Levi commercial. Take My Breath Away was a number 1 in 1986, then another top 3 hit 4 years later after being used for a Peugeot ad. Nessun Dorma had previously topped the 1924 Operatic Sheet Music Chart after being used for the World Cup by the Beeb. There were several covers that also did well that year.

I don't quite share TLG's view that it was a grim year for music. It was perhaps in a bit of a no man's land. The 80s had finally been shrugged off (I never really got the 80s as a music decade).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't quite share TLG's view that it was a grim year for music. It was perhaps in a bit of a no man's land.
    For me, the six years between 1988 and 1993 were a bit of a musical wasteland. There were a few decent bands knocking around. I went to a number of early Blur gigs and the arrival of Nirvana's Nevermind in 91 certainly livened things up a little, but the majority of that period was pretty dire. I reckon I went to more gigs in 1994 than I'd attended in the previous six years combined.

There was a load of Dance music etc, Manchester thing, Candy flip and all that (had a memorable fight with the lead singer at an airport)Loads of drugs and all that although i was a busy boy and taking some of that shit wasn't a help when you got to Tuesday or Wednesday. In short, it was pretty shit, although i never saw the fascination of standing in some boiling hot, sweaty arena watching some over rated band playing up. I'd rather be on a roof on a sunny day. I was at 'Rock Against Racism' in 77, with the old man, although i was only five at the time. I think The Clash played.

For me, the six years between 1988 and 1993 were a bit of a musical wasteland. There were a few decent bands knocking around. I went to a number of early Blur gigs and the arrival of Nirvana's Nevermind in 91 certainly livened things up a little, but the majority of that period was pretty dire. I reckon I went to more gigs in 1994 than I'd attended in the previous six years combined.
    1991 was the year when I first got interested in popular music. I've never particularly been into bands or guitar based music, but have been more a fan of dance, reggae, ska mostly anything else bar rap and RnB. I can certainly understand why those years wouldn't have held much appeal to you, but to me the early 90s were my most informative. Clubs were more my thing not gigs. Mrs Half a Bee is 7 years older than me and she has pretty much the same opinion as you!

Aside from X by INXS which I still love most albums I listened to that year weren’t bought from that year
    Not the best year in music, we even had classics like this at number one 😂😂

https://youtu.be/GRtM1jsoNl8

On the plus side for me I left my shit hole of a
    School and started 6th form in St David’s college so a good year on reflection

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In short, it was pretty shit, although i never saw the fascination of standing in some boiling hot, sweaty arena watching some over rated band playing up. I'd rather be on a roof on a sunny day. I was at 'Rock Against Racism' in 77, with the old man, although i was only five at the time. I think The Clash played.
    I've never been into big, arena-sized gigs, but I went to loads in smaller venues between 1980 and 1987. Apart from Blur, I couldn't really find anything to get particularly enthusiastic about from 1988 until 1993, and 1994 was a year in which I went to a ridiculous amount of shows and festivals. Loads of decent bands seemed to spring up all at once and, having got back into the habit of going to gigs, I went to loads I wasn't especially interested in just for a night out. Glad I did that in retrospect as I saw lots of decent bands while they were on their way up.

The Rock Against Racism gig in London was April 1978. The line-up included the Clash, X-Ray Spex and the Tom Robinson Band, who I was scheduled to be seeing again last week until the lockdown kicked in.

I've never been into big, arena-sized gigs, but I went to loads in smaller venues between 1980 and 1987. Apart from Blur, I couldn't really find anything to get particularly enthusiastic about from 1988 until 1993, and 1994 was a year in which I went to a ridiculous amount of shows and festivals. Loads of decent bands seemed to spring up all at once and, having got back into the habit of going to gigs, I went to loads I wasn't especially interested in just for a night out. Glad I did that in retrospect as I saw lots of decent bands while they were on their way up.

The Rock Against Racism gig in London was April 1978. The line-up included the Clash, X-Ray Spex and the Tom Robinson Band, who I was scheduled to be seeing again last week until the lockdown kicked in.
    78 it was. I remember the old man going on about Poly Styrene to me at the time. Thing is, he didn't talk to me like i was 5 or 6 and i didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

78 it was. I remember the old man going on about Poly Styrene to me at the time. Thing is, he didn't talk to me like i was 5 or 6 and i didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
    I love X-Ray Spex. Their one and only album, Germfree Adolescents, is in my all-time top ten and has been since I was a nipper. I was lucky enough to see their final gig at the Roundhouse in September 2008. Me and Steph went and it was great fun. Quite a night. The drummer wasn't the greatest, but Poly Styrene was on fabulous form. Sadly, she died in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Aside from X by INXS which I still love most albums I listened to that year weren’t bought from that year
    Not the best year in music, we even had classics like this at number one ����

https://youtu.be/GRtM1jsoNl8
    That was replaced by Bombalurina's Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny etc. I forget where it is now, but there's a website with Record Mirror scans of charts. Each week, the regular commentator on such things, Alan Jones, would give his thoughts. Some of them make for interesting reading.

"Turtle Power strengthens its grip at the top this week. It is now selling so strongly that even though Madonna's Hanky Paky climbs number four to two, it realistically has no chance".

"In the absence of a strong challenger, Turtle Power enjoys a third week at number one."

"Turtle Power proves more potent than anyone thought and enjoys a fourth week at number one."

"The awful Bombalurina continue at number one but relief is imminent. The challenge comes from Deacon Blue." (whoops)

"Its majority is slashed, raising hopes that next week it may be overhauled by something more palatable, but Bombalurina is number one for a third week in a row, having sold more than a quarter of a million copies."

Pet Shop boys did some decent stuff.
    😂