+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roger Osborne?

Re: Roger Osborne?

In a similar vein I can't remember if it was on here or Facebook I asked the question of were the City ever in the running for signing either one or both of the Futcher brothers who played for Luton but they turned us down.?
    Im convinced we were?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Don't remember anything about Roger Osborne being linked with City, but I can remember Southampton winning the cup in 1976, beating Man Utd 1-0 with a late goal scored by Bobby Stokes.

Early in the 1976/77 season, City played Southampton at Ninian Park in the Football Combination reserves league. I think it may well have been the first game of that campaign. My father took me down there and I can remember being amazed that the man who'd scored the winning goal at Wembley a few months earlier was playing up front for the Saints at Ninian in front of a crowd of a couple of hundred. Of course, the FA Cup final was a much bigger deal back then. For a kid like me (I was nine at the time), it inconceivable that a superstar like Stokes should be playing our reserves.
    Rather off topic but your comments make me nostalgic for the old Football Combination. It was a proper competition with teams containing reserves, promising youngsters and gnarled old pros. Crowds weren't too bad on occasions if a big team were the visitors and they were often very competitive games played on Saturday afternoons when the first team were away. Before the days of social media and score flashes would be given over the tannoy during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Rather off topic but your comments make me nostalgic for the old Football Combination. It was a proper competition with teams containing reserves, promising youngsters and gnarled old pros. Crowds weren't too bad on occasions if a big team were the visitors and they were often very competitive games played on Saturday afternoons when the first team were away. Before the days of social media and score flashes would be given over the tannoy during the game.
    My father used to take me to plenty of Football Combination games, mainly because they were often played on Saturday afternoons. As there was only one substitute allowed in those days, I think reserve matches were of much greater interest to the average fan as the team would often contain genuine first team regulars who for whatever reason were out of favour that week, whether it be form or fitness. The Football Combination also seemed to be a considerable step up from youth team football, so the youngsters who featured usually had a decent chance of making it to the first team in due course.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think as season ticket holders we used to get into the Football Combination games for free. Were there vouchers in the back of the season tickets for such matches or did you just have to show your season ticket at the gate? Not sure, but we used to go to lots of those games whatever the arrangements were.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    When I first read it, without the name, I thought it was about Brian Harris
    Now you mention it Tony, this might be one of my imagining things from the mists of time, I’ve got a really vague recollection of Scoular mentioning that him and Harris were working together. This could be total bollocks but there’s a nagging something in the back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Now you mention it Tony, this might be one of my imagining things from the mists of time, I’ve got a really vague recollection of Scoular mentioning that him and Harris were working together. This could be total bollocks but there’s a nagging something in the back of my mind.

Well you have been locked up for 8 weeks

Used to have a drink with Brian, upstairs in the doubles bar, at the Globe in town, most Saturday nights.
    Great fella

I used to watch the City reserves down Llandaff Road
    Was it the Corinthians ground?
    And was it Welsh league or Combination games probably about 1980
    When City were away on a Saturday afternoon.
    I know loads of City 1st team players used to play.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    In a similar vein I can't remember if it was on here or Facebook I asked the question of were the City ever in the running for signing either one or both of the Futcher brothers who played for Luton but they turned us down.?
    Im convinced we were?
    I vaguely remember this (as they were hot property for a while).

Then again most things in my mind are vague nowadays......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And I also remember my Dad saying that they
    might bring the Cup with them (which of course they didn’t)
    I think they did. I remember them walking round the pitch with it before the kick off. They'd come straight from London so we got to see the cup before it got back to Sunderland.

Yes it was Corinthian Park, I used to go along to watch Welsh League matches on Saturday's (often before City played at home) in the late sixties and seventies, but I would have said that it was not used in the eighties (may be wrong though).

Corinthian Park was originally used solely by Cardiff Corries, but it seems our old Chairman Fred Dewey was involved with them as well and he was the driving force behind our third team playing there.

On the subject of Cardiff Corries, how many of you knew they played Barcelona four times in the early years of the twentieth century?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ourney-9398122

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was Corinthian Park, I used to go along to watch Welsh League matches on Saturday's (often before City played at home) in the late sixties and seventies, but I would have said that it was not used in the eighties (may be wrong though).

Corinthian Park was originally used solely by Cardiff Corries, but it seems our old Chairman Fred Dewey was involved with them as well and he was the driving force behind our third team playing there.

On the subject of Cardiff Corries, how many of you knew they played Barcelona four times in the early years of the twentieth century?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ourney-9398122
    Was that a case of what goes on tour stays on tour? lol

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think they did. I remember them walking round the pitch with it before the kick off. They'd come straight from London so we got to see the cup before it got back to Sunderland.
    Really?!

I really AM losing my mind........ :-0

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I was at the game but can’t remember them walking around the pitch with the Cup but I do remember that prior to the game they had a work out at the University Playing Fields near Ball Road School and the Cup was on display there.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was at the game but can’t remember them walking around the pitch with the Cup but I do remember that prior to the game they had a work out at the University Playing Fields near Ball Road School and the Cup was on display there.
    I remember them parading the cup around the ground before kick off. Just as others have said the FA Cup was a massive competition and for a 9 year old like me seeing Bobby Kerr with the cup at our ground so soon after the final was a great experience. I was still in awe at Jim Montgomery's save on the Saturday and to see him live within days just seemed unreal.

It was Welsh League games only there (City's third team then). I remember going to watch them play Haverfodwest and Mel Charles, Ivor Allchurch, and Derek Tapscott were all playing for the visitors. Less money in football then so lots of ex pros would play at lower levels for a few bob after leaving the full time game.