+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Osborne?

Roger Osborne?

I think that lockdown may be starting to get to me as I read an article recently about Roger Osborne, the chap who scored the FA Cup Final winning goal for Ipswich and then had to go off as he was so overcome by the situation, and I was SURE that he had gone on to play for us at some stage (maybe on loan, and only for a few games?) but I can find NO record of this.

So from that, I MUST have imagined it, or can anyone else save my sanity? 🤷*♂️

Re: Roger Osborne?

You imagined it - confirmed on Wikipedia;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Osborne

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that lockdown may be starting to get to me as I read an article recently about Roger Osborne, the chap who scored the FA Cup Final winning goal for Ipswich and then had to go off as he was so overcome by the situation, and I was SURE that he had gone on to play for us at some stage (maybe on loan, and only for a few games?) but I can find NO record of this.

I wouldn't swear to this Bobby but something in the back of my mind tells me that we were after him at some point but the deal didn't go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I wouldn't swear to this Bobby but something in the back of my mind tells me that we were after him at some point but the deal didn't go through.
    Must admit there was something in the back of my mind to that effect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You and TOBW have made me feel a BIT better ;-)

You and TOBW have made me feel a BIT better ;-)
    I dont remember any interest and my football memories stretch back a very long way.
    🤨

Maybe there was some interest after we played them in the 3rd round that season?

I'm more convinced than ever that we were after him at some stage. How far our interest went or even if it was just papertalk, I honestly cannot remember but for the 2 Bobs and me to make the connection means there must be something to it. And yes Former Labour leader my memories go way back too, certainly a long time before the Roger Osborne mystery !! (Sounds like an Agatha Christie novel)

First Team

I found it as it rang a bell with me.
    Richie Morgan tabled a bid of 70,000 but he turned us down as he didn’t fancy moving across the country. However, it didn’t stop him going on a loan to Detroit.
    In the article he claims he told Richi3 that he had a dodgy knee to get out of the move.
    This comes from a Daily Mail article which I cannot link but it is found via a google search

Don't remember anything about Roger Osborne being linked with City, but I can remember Southampton winning the cup in 1976, beating Man Utd 1-0 with a late goal scored by Bobby Stokes.

Early in the 1976/77 season, City played Southampton at Ninian Park in the Football Combination reserves league. I think it may well have been the first game of that campaign. My father took me down there and I can remember being amazed that the man who'd scored the winning goal at Wembley a few months earlier was playing up front for the Saints at Ninian in front of a crowd of a couple of hundred. Of course, the FA Cup final was a much bigger deal back then. For a kid like me (I was nine at the time), it inconceivable that a superstar like Stokes should be playing our reserves.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Richie Morgan tabled a bid of 70,000 but he turned us down as he didn’t fancy moving across the country. However, it didn’t stop him going on a loan to Detroit.
    In the article he claims he told Richi3 that he had a dodgy knee to get out of the move.
    This comes from a Daily Mail article which I cannot link but it is found via a google search
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...years-ago.html

Scroll right down to near the end for the Cardiff element of his story.

Great work Major

Well done, you’ve saved someone’s sanity by the sound of it

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Don't remember anything about Roger Osborne being linked with City, but I can remember Southampton winning the cup in 1976, beating Man Utd 1-0 with a late goal scored by Bobby Stokes.

Early in the 1976/77 season, City played Southampton at Ninian Park in the Football Combination reserves league. I think it may well have been the first game of that campaign. My father took me down there and I can remember being amazed that the man who'd scored the winning goal at Wembley a few months earlier was playing up front for the Saints at Ninian in front of a crowd of a couple of hundred. Of course, the FA Cup final was a much bigger deal back then. For a kid like me (I was nine at the time), it inconceivable that a superstar like Stokes should be playing our reserves.
    On a similar note I had an almost identical experience in 1973 when Sunderland played us 2 days after winning the FA Cup... it’s perhaps my earliest football memory (I was 6) but remember to this day that Billy Hughes from that Sunderland team was my first footballing hero. The FA Cup was fantastic from 1972 all the way through until the late 80’s for me

Wow. Hadn't seen that....memories are made so this.

Great memory ,I do remember the fuss in the press, as the fee at that time was high

It’s threads like this and their outcomes which makes this message board worth the visit.

Well played all.

Brilliant work Major ! Saved my blushes somewhat 👍

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    On a similar note I had an almost identical experience in 1973 when Sunderland played us 2 days after winning the FA Cup... it’s perhaps my earliest football memory (I was 6) but remember to this day that Billy Hughes from that Sunderland team was my first footballing hero. The FA Cup was fantastic from 1972 all the way through until the late 80’s for me
    I remember that game! I was 9.

How could these now-household names be suddenly coming to play us!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Well done, you’ve saved someone’s sanity by the sound of it
    Partially! ;-)

Thanks though

I remember that game! I was 9.

How could these now-household names be suddenly coming to play us!
    And I also remember my Dad saying that they
    might bring the Cup with them (which of course they didn’t)

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I was 17 and felt exactly the same way - I was also in a state of shock when we best them 4-1 down here seven months later.

The FA Cup was truly magical, I’m reminded of a sad anecdote, after he was finished up by the City and before he took over at Newport I spoke to him on a bus stop on Greenway Rd, Rumney. Weirdly he was door to door selling jewellery so he told me, looking back he may have been under a driving ban, hence being in the bus shelter, I was so surprised that such a famous man was actually waiting for a bus. Anyway he shook my hand after we spoke and for ages after I regarded it as a massive thing that I had touched the hand of a man who’d held the FA Cup, the FA Cup meant that much to me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The FA Cup was truly magical, I’m reminded of a sad anecdote, after he was finished up by the City and before he took over at Newport I spoke to him on a bus stop on Greenway Rd, Rumney. Weirdly he was door to door selling jewellery so he told me, looking back he may have been under a driving ban, hence being in the bus shelter, I was so surprised that such a famous man was actually waiting for a bus. Anyway he shook my hand after we spoke and for ages after I regarded it as a massive thing that I had touched the hand of a man who’d held the FA Cup, the FA Cup meant that much to me.
    Jesus, I’m still so overcome, I forgot to mention that it was Jimmy Scoular

Jesus, I’m still so overcome, I forgot to mention that it was Jimmy Scoular
    When I first read it, without the name, I thought it was about Brian Harris