+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Decent Chinese takeaway open?

Decent Chinese takeaway open?

In Cardiff? Anyone?
    My usual one in Cathays appears to have closed forever......def something I’ve missed of late.

International

Re: Decent Chinese takeaway open?

I got a sneaky feeling they generally close on a Tuesday, but try the golden star on Waungron road in Fairwater appears to be still serving (not today). Its on google, and they deliver but I don't know how far. I think you can pay by card over the phone.

I think the Man Po in Ely is still open

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I got a sneaky feeling they generally close on a Tuesday, but try the golden star on Waungron road in Fairwater appears to be still serving (not today). Its on google, and they deliver but I don't know how far. I think you can pay by card over the phone.
    Will have a look at that. Ta

Crikey, the Chinese aren’t too popular at the moment......is Donald right?

My son had one delivered on Saturday, it went straight in the bin, frigging shite.

Decent Chinese takeaway...don’t make me laugh. Bet you won’t find one that doesn’t add (MSG) in their food.

Don't think we've had a Chinese takeaway in years.

We've tended to find first, second order is nice then after that quality declines, often sending out clearly reheated food.

I used to go to the Golden Star occasionally when I lived in Cardiff - never had any complaints about the food there.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I used to go to the Golden Star occasionally when I lived in Cardiff - never had any complaints about the food there.
    I go occasionally, but as until recently i lived in Waungron road it wasn't too difficult lol
    I have the King Prawn in mushroom (black chinese ones) and the special fried rice. Enough for a steamed breakfast in the morning too. It took me ages before I realised that the special fried rice was a separate meal all on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Don't think we've had a Chinese takeaway in years.

We've tended to find first, second order is nice then after that quality declines, often sending out clearly reheated food.
    Best not to order three meals at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Decent Chinese takeaway...don’t make me laugh. Bet you won’t find one that doesn’t add (MSG) in their food.
    Zi’s on woodville rd doesn’t and caters almost exclusively for Chinese students, well it did before they all phucked off back to China anyway. No doubts he is shut.

I use the Silver Palace on Whitchurch road, and it's open at the moment. It's always been cash only, mind, and still is, even in these 'pay by card' times. Mind you, I use it because it's local - whether it counts as 'decent' is open to debate. A bit hit and miss, to be honest.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I use the Silver Palace on Whitchurch road, and it's open at the moment. It's always been cash only, mind, and still is, even in these 'pay by card' times. Mind you, I use it because it's local - whether it counts as 'decent' is open to debate. A bit hit and miss, to be honest.
    In normal times the rule of thumb is "If you pass it on the way home from the pub the food is good enough." lol

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    That place is hit and miss, same as the one opposite the Aneurin Bevan pub, The Sun Sun? Can be really good and then utter shit, although the portions are huge. There's not much up my end, couple of tidy places on Whitchurch rd and there's a tiny but established take away in Rhiwbina thats ok-On Heol Llanishen Fach.

In normal times the rule of thumb is "If you pass it on the way home from the pub the food is good enough." lol
    That's most of the time with me, whatever is closest. Chinese Take aways seem stuck in a bit of a time warp, some of them still have that little hatch where the woman serving (always a woman) screams at the person cooking the food, 1980s wood panelling on the walls and those take away menu signs in red writing with a deep yellow background that are so out of date that the prices have to changed with a marker pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That place is hit and miss, same as the one opposite the Aneurin Bevan pub, The Sun Sun? Can be really good and then utter shit, although the portions are huge. There's not much up my end, couple of tidy places on Whitchurch rd and there's a tiny but established take away in Rhiwbina thats ok-On Heol Llanishen Fach.
    I’m just around the corner from Whitchurch rd, I think the Heath kitchen is open but it’s a bit ropey and always has a hygiene rating of zero or one
    There’s another one along that rd, blue something is it? Supposed to be alright....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’m just around the corner from Whitchurch rd, I think the Heath kitchen is open but it’s a bit ropey and always has a hygiene rating of zero or one
    There’s another one along that rd, blue something is it? Supposed to be alright....
    Heath Kitchen has been shit for years. There's a place towards the top, by the co op, Gourmet Kitchen? been there twice and it was tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Heath Kitchen has been shit for years. There's a place towards the top, by the co op, Gourmet Kitchen? been there twice and it was tidy.
    The one opposite the Birchgrove pub is reasonable as well, never spectacular, just consistent

Quite a big chinese community in cardiff but most takeaways are Hong Kong style and cater for the british palate , in the same way chicken tikka masala has become a uk favourite

There used to be a brilliant authentic chinese in pontyclun and there is one in aberkenfig , bridgend that is good

When I lived in pontcanna there was a fairly decent one but it changed hands and went all greasy , the pissed up taffia didnt know the difference though

China Garden in Llandaff North is open Wednesday to Sunday. You have to ring through your order then collect or have it delivered.
    Had one last week. Was ready to collect in 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    China Garden in Llandaff North is open Wednesday to Sunday. You have to ring through your order then collect or have it delivered.
    Had one last week. Was ready to collect in 30 minutes.
    Might try that one cheers