+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend

So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend

Just read this. Gonna watch and see if I can stomach football in empty stadiums.

https://1.ftb.al/GLRUID24r6

I’ve just picked Mainz unless there’s any reason I shouldn’t?

Re: So who’s watching the Bundesliga this weekend

I'll be watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Just read this. Gonna watch and see if I can stomach football in empty stadiums.

Yes, looking forward to it. I like Hertha anyway so will back them, although - as the article says, they do have a West Ham-like feel of perpetual under-achievement and near-disaster about them. It's the first top level Berlin derby at the Olympia Stadion a week on Sunday - so will watch that (I had tickets for the original match). Can't imagine what it will be like without fans though.

Leipzig obviously the team for those City fans who were comfortable with our very own rebrand.

I hope to see Gladbach's game. First saw them in May 1977 when visiting my brother, who was posted to Germany.

They played against Bayern Munich and the line-ups included many notable players:

For Gladbach: Bertie Vogts, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Stielike and the Dane, Allan Simonsen.
    For Bayern: Sepp Maier, Franz Beckenbauer, Uli Hoeness, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and 'Der Bomber', Gerd Müller.

Saw Gladbach a few times when I subsequently lived over there subsequently and saw them last January and also last season.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yes, looking forward to it. I like Hertha anyway so will back them, although - as the article says, they do have a West Ham-like feel of perpetual under-achievement and near-disaster about them. It's the first top level Berlin derby at the Olympia Stadion a week on Sunday - so will watch that (I had tickets for the original match). Can't imagine what it will be like without fans though.

Leipzig obviously the team for those City fans who were comfortable with our very own rebrand.
    I used to watch them playing the Olympia Stadion and there were regular crowds of (I think) 50,000 there, and that was when it was West Berlin. Then they got thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. Since then they have never really regained their former glory.

not bothered with it ever before....why start now.

Are you a fan of a club with an almost bottomless pit of money that is despised by every other supporter in the country?

Manchester City fans, meet RB Leipzig.
    Absolute bollocks, they buy young players relatively cheap and then develop them, and if they sell its for a tidy profit. This is the model Cardiff City should follow, and you can seen their transfer dealings below as they moved up the league's to establish themselves as one of the best teams in Europe.

For example they bought Upamecano for £9m and Werner 12.6m and they will get 4 or 5 times that amount if they sell them, and they doubled their money on Keita.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rase...s/verein/23826

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    not bothered with it ever before....why start now.
    The technical standard is very high, and they give young players a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Yeah, two! Rabbi Matondo at Schalke and Ampadu at Leipzig. Also I think describing Leipzig as "having a bottomless pit of money" is a bit misleading. It's like saying we've got a bottomless pit because Tan's worth billions. They are hated as an entity though, but as a team they're great

I think I'll follow Schalke, they've got a very pro Wales Twitter account. Probably won't bother actually watching any games though

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah, two! Rabbi Matondo at Schalke and Ampadu at Leipzig. Also I think describing Leipzig as "having a bottomless pit of money" is a bit misleading. It's like saying we've got a bottomless pit because Tan's worth billions. They are hated as an entity though, but as a team they're great
    Ampadu is injured.

Used to watch it on ITV 4. I assume BT have it all wrapped up now? Have been to Hoffenheim, although they're not the most popular bunch (or at least the owner isn't) and also a few lower league games. Will try and watch if I can find it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I used to watch them playing the Olympia Stadion and there were regular crowds of (I think) 50,000 there, and that was when it was West Berlin. Then they got thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. Since then they have never really regained their former glory.
    When were you watching them? What era?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When were you watching them? What era?
    Early 70s

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Early 70s
    Your memory's playing tricks on you. Hertha weren't thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. They got relegated (on goal difference) in 1980.

I've been to Berlin several times in recent years and have managed to watch Hertha play on every occasion. I also managed to see Tennis Borussia Berlin once. They were a Bundesliga side back in the Seventies but now play in the fifth tier.

International

Your memory's playing tricks on you. Hertha weren't thrown out of the Bundesliga for cheating. They got relegated (on goal difference) in 1980.

I've been to Berlin several times in recent years and have managed to watch Hertha play on every occasion. I also managed to see Tennis Borussia Berlin once. They were a Bundesliga side back in the Seventies but now play in the fifth tier.
    Sorry they were relegated for bribing or attempting to in 64/65, the incident in the 70's was when their goalkeeper arranged for them to lose a game they should have won. He was thrown out but they weren't but were relegated later anyway and were in relative doldrums for many years.
    Still fun to watch them in that old stadium though, hadn't changed since the 36 Olympics. We used to play murder ball in the Olympic swimming pool lol

Hertha were thrown out in the 60s, and it led to the lowest points total in Bundesliga history as they're replacement were utter shite

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I hope to see Gladbach's game. First saw them in May 1977 when visiting my brother, who was posted to Germany.

They played against Bayern Munich and the line-ups included many notable players:

For Gladbach: Bertie Vogts, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Stielike and the Dane, Allan Simonsen.
    For Bayern: Sepp Maier, Franz Beckenbauer, Uli Hoeness, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and 'Der Bomber', Gerd Müller.

Saw Gladbach a few times when I subsequently lived over there subsequently and saw them last January and also last season.
    Allan Simonsen-Didn't he go from Barcelona to Charlton? Seemed ludicrous at the time if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Allan Simonsen-Didn't he go from Barcelona to Charlton? Seemed ludicrous at the time if memory serves.
    It was odd. He asked Barca to cancel his contract because they had brought Maradona to the club. His goalscoring record was very good. He turned down Real Madrid and Spurs and signed for second division Charlton Athletic because he thought that it would be less stress.

No interest whatsoever .

I'll be watching. My problem is that I just don't care about the Bundesliga. I suppose I would want Bayern to lose but that's about I can muster. At least watching UK games there's always one team that I want to win or lose. Having seen play City in all 4 divisions there's not many teams that I don't have some sort of feeling about. So for example, if Hoffenheim play Leverkusen, how am I supposed to feel? I suppose it will depend on what kit they are wearing. In fact, I know it will come down to exactly that. What German teams play in blue? And do they have white shorts?

I remember when Ewald Lienen, who moved from Gladbach to Armenia Bielefeld and back again, suffered this injury when playing for the latter 1981:
    IMG_20200514_060009.jpg

Will swinkendorf be playing?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Will swinkendorf be playing?
    He is the manager of a team that plays in the tenth tier of German football and which has a crowd capacity of 2,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember when Ewald Lienen, who moved from Gladbach to Armenia Bielefeld and back again, suffered this injury when playing for the latter 1981:
    IMG_20200514_060009.jpg
    Horrific! It looks like he had been assaulted with a meat cleaver!