+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positive post : Covid antibody test a 'positive development'

Re: Positive post : Covid antibody test a 'positive development'

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    What are the details on their test?

Didn't they have issues with their other tests missing positive covid 19 cases?
    They have 99.9% accuracy, similar to Roche.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    They have 99.9% accuracy, similar to Roche.
    Do the tests need to go through the same process as Roche's?

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The Roche product is the one that has been approved and that's the one we will use whether purchased UK wide or individually by each of the 4 countries.

The issue is how to run the tests. Each needs an individual iV sample which will have to be taken by a doctor, nurse or phlebotomist. That'll take time as I imagine most will be done at GP surgeries. Then the sample has to go to a lab, either NHS, private or a mix. Finally the results have to be posted.
    According to the BBC report on this new test it takes 20 minutes to analys and get a result.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    “Public Health England said the antibody test, developed by Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche, was a "very positive development".

This is same company with whom the WAG had signed contract for PPE

Will this test be for England only?

Will we have to wait until them down the Bay decide that we need a separate contract only to be gazumped by Mozambique who offered more £

And then we find we can’t get any until December at the earliest
    When we had a deal/thought we had a deal and England pinched it, they tried to justify it by saying they was pirating the order for the whole of the UK, so perhaps we only got 1/20th of our order, this time it would be immoral and unethical for the English to say it is theirs only in light of the pirating, so I can't see England claiming it all in the circumstance but there again it is the English we are talking about so who knows, survival of the fittest, right of conquest, God's will and all that so who knows hey.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    According to the BBC report on this new test it takes 20 minutes to analys and get a result.
    That may or may not be the case but the state run British Broadcasting Corporation has little creditably for fairness or accuracy these days, some things they say are believable others not so, it's take with a pinch of salt job.

International

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    That may or may not be the case but the state run British Broadcasting Corporation has little creditably for fairness or accuracy these days, some things they say are believable others not so, it's take with a pinch of salt job.
    it wasn't the BBC saying it, they were only reporting what had been reported by the scientists

it wasn't the BBC saying it, they were only reporting what had been reported by the scientists
    I don't doubt it but they are known to be very selective, like giving Labour only twice the coverage as the Conservatives when Labour was in power but giving the Conservatives four times the coverage Labour got when the Conservatives were in power.

International

I don't doubt it but they are known to be very selective, like giving Labour only twice the coverage as the Conservatives when Labour was in power but giving the Conservatives four times the coverage Labour got when the Conservatives were in power.
    how much did they give Plaid?

how much did they give Plaid?
    I doubt Plaids case would be protrayed in an objective light, the Beebs handling of the Scottish independence vote was shockingly in favour of the union.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Good luck NYC Blue
    Got one this morning. Very quick and easy. Should get the results next week. I hope it's positive. I'll be a big relief.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Got one this morning. Very quick and easy. Should get the results next week. I hope it's positive. I'll be a big relief.
    Some countries are very slow testing and processing results, it's a very poor show.

Yes Abbott’s antibody test has gone through the same testing as the Roche antibody test, along with other vendors. Both companies claim 100% sensitivity and greater than 99% specificity (which is arguably more important).

Despite what has been suggested in the media (Which has mislead people including posters on here) no one vendor has signed an agreement to supply the 4 nations laboratories. The public health bodies are all assessing the various tests from the various vendors. No official decisions have yet been taken on who will supply the labs but orders will be split across vendors including Roche and Abbott.

You should understand that it makes no sense that a hospital whose laboratories are supplied by one vendor to purchase a test from another vendor as they do not have the equipment to run the test on. This is just one example of why there will not be an all encompassing deal with one vendor.

There are also different types of test. The PCR test which actively looks for the presence of the virus is different to the antibody test which looks for the presence of antibodies that were formed by the body to combat the virus. There are also different antibody tests. IgG and IgM. Then there are the rapid diagnostics tests.

The vendors are offering different combinations of these different types of tests.

Lisvaneblue confidently stated “The Roche product is the one that has been approved and that's the one we will use whether purchased UK wide or individually by each of the 4 countries.” He/she could not have been more wrong. This is factually incorrect and a good example of why you should not necessarily believe what you read in the media

Did you have any symptoms at all? I trust it wasn’t free?

Banned

Why will you be relieved to have had covid-19?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Why will you be relieved to have had covid-19?
    Possibly because if he's had it and it's not been too bad it means he knows that he's not one of the ones who are susceptible to serious complications from it. My sister's a nurse with severe asthma and she had symptoms, it was terrifying for a few days then when she was clearly beating whatever she had we were willing for it to have been Covid so she'll have had it and come through. As it turns out her test came back negative, it brings a weird mix of emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Yes Abbott’s antibody test has gone through the same testing as the Roche antibody test, along with other vendors. Both companies claim 100% sensitivity and greater than 99% specificity (which is arguably more important).

Despite what has been suggested in the media (Which has mislead people including posters on here) no one vendor has signed an agreement to supply the 4 nations laboratories. The public health bodies are all assessing the various tests from the various vendors. No official decisions have yet been taken on who will supply the labs but orders will be split across vendors including Roche and Abbott.

You should understand that it makes no sense that a hospital whose laboratories are supplied by one vendor to purchase a test from another vendor as they do not have the equipment to run the test on. This is just one example of why there will not be an all encompassing deal with one vendor.

There are also different types of test. The PCR test which actively looks for the presence of the virus is different to the antibody test which looks for the presence of antibodies that were formed by the body to combat the virus. There are also different antibody tests. IgG and IgM. Then there are the rapid diagnostics tests.

The vendors are offering different combinations of these different types of tests.

Lisvaneblue confidently stated “The Roche product is the one that has been approved and that's the one we will use whether purchased UK wide or individually by each of the 4 countries.” He/she could not have been more wrong. This is factually incorrect and a good example of why you should not necessarily believe what you read in the media
    In reply, and defence, I did send a correction to say that the Abbott product had also recently been approved. As someone who spent most of my working life running the commercial arm of a pharmaceutical company, I was very much involved with arranging procurement contracts with the NHS.
    I have no doubt that the NHS will purchase both products together with the associated services needed to run the antibody tests.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Did you have any symptoms at all? I trust it wasn’t free?
    It was $129. I fell ill on February 3rd and was completely knocked out. It was like something I'd never experienced before. Eventually, I dragged myself to a doctor and was tested for influenza which came back negative. After that, I thought that I had had pneumonia, but then I thought maybe it was Covid-19. If I test positive for antibodies, it should mean that I (and possibly my family) will at least be safe from infection for the immediate future. We'll see.

Test was negative. So maybe I did have pneumonia.

Test was negative. So maybe I did have pneumonia.
    That’s a shame I guess....what’s open in NYC at the moment? Shops? Restaurants?

Some countries are very slow testing and processing results, it's a very poor show.
    Up until yesterday I spent two weeks waiting for my Coronavirus test results and decided to give the testing people a ring. I was informed that many of the tests carried out by the Army don't seemed to have been processed promptly.
    I was advised that the result of my test would be of little value now: if I didn't have the virus t at the time of the test (very unlikely, in my opinion) it could be that I could have developed it since - and if I had it at the time of the test then I probably don't have it now. Pretty pointless exercise, really.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s a shame I guess....what’s open in NYC at the moment? Shops? Restaurants?
    Besides drug stores, liquor stores, and a couple of other things, all shops are closed. Some restaurants and bars are open for take-out only. The city relaxed the "open container" laws so that it is permissible to drink alcohol in public places. I noticed yesterday that a lot of bars and restaurants that closed down have been tagged and the fronts are completely covered in graffiti. It's very quiet everywhere, except for parks. The west side, which has several parks on the old piers as well as walking and cycling paths along the Hudson is as busy as it ever was.