+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Driving jobs anywhere?

Driving jobs anywhere?

Does anyone know of any Driving jobs going anywhere?
    I done Yodel for 3 weeks and really enjoyed that but they laid us all off last week as we managed to clear all the backlog.
    Worked at Parcelforce for a day but I didn't enjoy that. Worst system out of all the parcel companies I've worked for to date.
    I've been checking everyday all the usual places like indeed and reed. I'm registered with both Berry recruitment and Deva recruitment but it's nothing around. I've not known anything like this it's mad

Re: Driving jobs anywhere?

Applied for all the ones on there I coukd
    No problem if you have your own van getting work.
    I may pack in the taxis soon for good and invest in a new van the way its going. I enjoyed parcel deliveries

International

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Applied for all the ones on there I coukd
    No problem if you have your own van getting work.
    I may pack in the taxis soon for good and invest in a new van the way its going. I enjoyed parcel deliveries
    I've just been offered a job and if you don't have your own van you can hire on a week by week basis. Apparently vacancies in Cardiff Newport and jackland. Getting your own van may be cheaper but with this you can give it back and stop paying immediately

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've just been offered a job and if you don't have your own van you can hire on a week by week basis. Apparently vacancies in Cardiff Newport and jackland. Getting your own van may be cheaper but with this you can give it back and stop paying immediately
    Just check out the promotional film for this work (and van options!) first:

Sorry We Missed You.jpg

Does anyone know of any Driving jobs going anywhere?
    I done Yodel for 3 weeks and really enjoyed that but they laid us all off last week as we managed to clear all the backlog.
    Worked at Parcelforce for a day but I didn't enjoy that. Worst system out of all the parcel companies I've worked for to date.
    I've been checking everyday all the usual places like indeed and reed. I'm registered with both Berry recruitment and Deva recruitment but it's nothing around. I've not known anything like this it's mad
    I will PM you

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think I may have got a reply from a guy yesterday for this job but I haven't replied back as in the email it doesn't say the name of the company I'll be working for and also sounded like I needed my own van to start?
    Was this the email you got also from somebody called Robert Stephens?

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your application for the opportunity for Multidrop Van Driver (Next day Payments).

We have availbility in Swansea, Cardiff and Newport

I'd like to set up a meeting with you to discuss this opportunity.

Can you please book a slot at a time when you will be available in the next few days? Please click on this link
    DRIVER AGENT FORM FAST TRACK
    PLEASE FILL IN THE FORM BELOW.
    BEFORE YOU START COMPLETING THE FORM PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING DETAILS

:PERSONAL DETAILS

:FULL CURRENT ADDRESS

:DRIVING LICENCE

IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH THIS FORM PLEASE EMAIL JOBS@DRIVERAGENT.CO.UK

WE ARE BOOKING EVENTS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS, WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS, SO PLEASE SELECT THE NEAREST CITY TO YOU LISTED BELOW

SWANSEA (NEW)

NEWPORT (CARDIFF),

SWINDON,

BIRMINGHAM (BROMSGROVE),

BRISTOL,

EDINBURGH (BATHGATE),

LEEDS,

LEICESTER,

SHEFFIELD,

STOKE ON TRENT,

WALSALL (WEDNESBURY),

WOLVERHAMPTON (WEDNESBURY),

International

I think I may have got a reply from a guy yesterday for this job but I haven't replied back as in the email it doesn't say the name of the company I'll be working for and also sounded like I needed my own van to start?
    Was this the email you got also from somebody called Robert Stephens?

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your application for the opportunity for Multidrop Van Driver (Next day Payments).

We have availbility in Swansea, Cardiff and Newport

I'd like to set up a meeting with you to discuss this opportunity.

Can you please book a slot at a time when you will be available in the next few days? Please click on this link
    Yes that's the one. They will supply a van, at I believe about £120 a week. I'm not sure about insurance but from the original conversation I think they do everything. They will even provide you with a fuel card if you need one. There are pros and cons to that.

The downer for me was that they pay you weekly but you need to work a month in hand (That's where the fuel card comes in handy).
    But I know a small lease comp[any and they will lease you a suitable van for about £200 a month. It may be less if they are not busy because of lockdown. Then your insurance will depend on your no-claims position.

If you lease a van then you can use it to do other work if you don't like the work they supply, which is a bonus and the guy will lease for 6 months or a year or whatever, not just 3 years,

Ive heard some horror stories about amazon and renting vans from them mate. Don't think I'll bother but thanks anyway.
    Give you 2-3 days work a week sometimes and you still have to pay for your van fully for the week..

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/...0,6_KO7,22.htm

Banned

Ive heard some horror stories about amazon and renting vans from them mate. Don't think I'll bother but thanks anyway.
    Give you 2-3 days work a week sometimes and you still have to pay for your van fully for the week..

My uncle was saying something similar. He signed up around Christmas time after retiring. A good earner, but after Christmas it turned sour quickly for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    My uncle was saying something similar. He signed up around Christmas time after retiring. A good earner, but after Christmas it turned sour quickly for him.
    Yeah the work a month in hand and £120 a week van cost set alarm bells ringing for me as well tbh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah the work a month in hand and £120 a week van cost set alarm bells ringing for me as well tbh
    When you have to pay Mr Jones so that you can work for Mr Jones, it is generally never going to end too well.

I spoke to our local amazon driver before all this started, might have been just after Christmas, he said he often works a 12 hour day on busy days it can be 15 hours, 200 plus drops, he pays his bills but appeared to be under alot of pressure to get the drops done

International

Yes I'm thinknig hard about it. they say 5 days but there is no guaranteed minimum.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    They don't take the van costs until you get your first week pay .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I spoke to our local amazon driver before all this started, might have been just after Christmas, he said he often works a 12 hour day on busy days it can be 15 hours, 200 plus drops, he pays his bills but appeared to be under alot of pressure to get the drops done
    I was on a speed awareness course with some guy in his early 60s who had got caught speeding. He said it was the first time ever he'd been clocked speeding. At the end of the session where we all had to give reasons not to do it again, he said the pressure of the job probably would mean he'd have to do it again.

Did any of you get a job after? I'm still looking. I am also hoping that the taxis pick back up but I'm earning about £12 in 3-4 hours on average before I give up and come home.

Did you take on any job after?
    I got offered one with DPD in Rumney and the manager wanted me to work a week for free out on the van with another driver for 12 hours a day unpaid. I just couldn't do it. That's taking this piss

Did any of you get a job after? I'm still looking. I am also hoping that the taxis pick back up but I'm earning about £12 in 3-4 hours on average before I give up and come home.

Did you take on any job after?
    I got offered one with DPD in Rumney and the manager wanted me to work a week for free out on the van with another driver for 12 hours a day unpaid. I just couldn't do it. That's taking this piss
    Did they mean work a week-in-hand, or did they actually mean for you to work that first week for absolutely nothing?
    If it's the latter, then that really is a piss take!

Yep. Work a week for free as they don't pay induction training he said.
    He said so many pack it in after a week as the job is intense so they don't pay you to train anymore.
    I was going to do it but then I read the reviews of working for dpd in Cardiff about management making up false claims of vehicle damage and actually taking it from your wages and being left with nothing.
    When I told the manager I had changed my mind because I was really alarmed at what I had just read he asked me to send him a link to the reviews on indeed site.
    He then text me back and said I can't disagree with some of that.
    I was gobsmacked.
    And then the next day he text me again saying he thinks that I have missed out on a good opportunity and that I should have asked some of his boys he has working for him what they think.
    Again, I was gobsmacked why he'd said he agreed how bad the management were after reading those reviews at that depot,
    Which meant he agreed ripping off drivers for things like an engine management light coming on when the driver got back to the depot and reported it, and then being made to pay for it as it wasn't on when they left.

He said so many pack it in after a week as the job is intense so they don't pay you to train anymore.
    I was going to do it but then I read the reviews of working for dpd in Cardiff about management making up false claims of vehicle damage and actually taking it from your wages and being left with nothing.
    When I told the manager I had changed my mind because I was really alarmed at what I had just read he asked me to send him a link to the reviews on indeed site.
    I was gobsmacked.
    And then the next day he text me again saying he thinks that I have missed out on a good opportunity and that I should have asked some of his boys he has working for him what they think.
    Again, I was gobsmacked why he'd said he agreed how bad the management were after reading those reviews at that depot,
    Which meant he agreed ripping off drivers for things like an engine management light coming on when the driver got back to the depot and reported it, and then being made to pay for it as it wasn't on when they left.
    National minimum wage legislation should ruin them for that.

I was gobsmacked.
    I took a quick look on that indeed.com website (Cardiff regional). The reviews paint a shocking picture of that courier business.
    Almost all the reviews are united in their condemnation of the management and the long hours you have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I took a quick look on that indeed.com website (Cardiff regional). The reviews paint a shocking picture of that courier business.
    Almost all the reviews are united in their condemnation of the management and the long hours you have to work.
    And the cheeky bleeder of a manager said he can't complain about most of that. 🤣🤣🤣

Asda Merthyr were advertising for a delivery driver last week.
    Don’t think the hourly rate is great but plenty of hours at the moment.

I'm in Cwmbran. Cost too much in fuel but thanks