+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Malky Mackay on Peter Whittingham.

Malky Mackay on Peter Whittingham.

Nice tribute to Peter Whittingham by our former manager on the the View from the Ninian website;-

https://viewfromtheninian.com/2020/0...r-whittingham/

Re: Malky Mackay on Peter Whittingham.

That's a really appreciative knowledgeable piece.

I picked this out: "Peter had such a good understanding of when to receive it, where to take it, how to check his shoulders for pressure, what his options were and who to give the best pass to help the team." I remember watching Whitts constantly looking over his shoulder to get a picture of the game. He always reminded me of gunners on planes in war-time constantly scrutinizing the sky.

Fair play Malky, a lovely tribute.

That's a fantastic piece. Credit to him.

Wow. That had me in tears. Great tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    That's a really appreciative knowledgeable piece.

I picked this out: "Peter had such a good understanding of when to receive it, where to take it, how to check his shoulders for pressure, what his options were and who to give the best pass to help the team." I remember watching Whitts constantly looking over his shoulder to get a picture of the game. He always reminded me of gunners on planes in war-time constantly scrutinizing the sky.
    That was the bit that stood out for me as well, because it went against what I thought Whitts was like - I always believed he was a huge natural talent who just did things without thinking at all. People would talk about him going into coaching and I'd think no way, it's just instinct with him and he wouldn't have much much that he could pass on to inferior players - this, along with the bit where Malky says Whitts "got" football much earlier than many other pros suggests I was wrong.

a good read that

thanks for putting that up bob

Fantastic Tribute, especially about the nuances of Whitts game that lots of us fans just don't appreciate at times. He was so humble, settled in the area, never any issue (it seems) with contract extensions when i'm sure that other clubs were chasing him, no crowing to the press, leaked stories etc. The man was a legend in more ways than one. When things get to some kind of normality, the club and fans should honour his memory appropriately, although i think he might have hated that. Thanks for some of the most brilliant things i've ever seen on a football pitch.

Genuinely nice piece from MM.
    Thanks for sharing TOBW.

What a lovely article.

Perhaps when Whitts was at his best for City we took him for granted, far too much. We expected the unthinkable, too often. However, though expectations were high, he did not disappoint. There were so many goals of the highest order that many players would have been thankful to have scored just one of them in their careers. ‘Dick,’ my nickname for Whitts, collected gems of goals like pebbles from the sea-shore. Once scored, placed in his pocket, he just got on with the game.

Yes, a true gentleman off the pitch, as well as on it, his Corinthian character belonged to a bygone era when full measure was given and nothing was held back. His was a consummate game, played like a gentlemen amongst boys and old men who huffed and puffed and produced little.

Malky’s comments, heartfelt and genuine, were spoken by a man who appreciated his skill. The incident before the Carlin Cup Final said it all: “ … we turned to shake and say good luck to each other and I said, ‘Go show them just how good you actually are.’ He just had a little smile and a wink. A quiet confidence in that ability. I loved it.”

Though his legs started to go in his last couple of seasons he was still capable, even to the very end, of producing wonderful skill and score his trademark unbelievable goals. Looking back, he was a true legend, in an era when too many are given that accolade undeservedly. His was genuinely earned and warranted.

It has been said that we honour our parents by the way we live our lives. Peter Whittingham clearly honoured his; he was not a moments’ problem in his decade at Cardiff City.

RIP: ‘Dick’ … May your memory be a blessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkasQybrWwo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqIN__uBXW8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MN8OqqEBss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HnwcK6ZHKo

StT. <><

That’s a nice tribute. What a sad loss this has been. Whittingham was obviously a modest man. He was also loyal. Rare for such a talented player in this day and age. He should still be with us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was the bit that stood out for me as well, because it went against what I thought Whitts was like - I always believed he was a huge natural talent who just did things without thinking at all. People would talk about him going into coaching and I'd think no way, it's just instinct with him and he wouldn't have much much that he could pass on to inferior players - this, along with the bit where Malky says Whitts "got" football much earlier than many other pros suggests I was wrong.
    I think that goes for so many players. Many fans constantly call for players to be picked, dropped etc but many managers and players at pro levels see the game differently to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I think that goes for so many players. Many fans constantly call for players to be picked, dropped etc but many managers and players at pro levels see the game differently to the rest of us.
    I think during my time as a City fan, Stephen McPhail was the best example of what you're talking about - a player who wasn't rated particularly highly by many supporters, but the first name on the team sheet for most of his team-mates and managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    What a lovely article.

Perhaps when Whitts was at his best for City we took him for granted, far too much. We expected the unthinkable, too often. However, though expectations were high, he did not disappoint. There were so many goals of the highest order that many players would have been thankful to have scored just one of them in their careers. ‘Dick,’ my nickname for Whitts, collected gems of goals like pebbles from the sea-shore. Once scored, placed in his pocket, he just got on with the game.

Yes, a true gentleman off the pitch, as well as on it, his Corinthian character belonged to a bygone era when full measure was given and nothing was held back. His was a consummate game, played like a gentlemen amongst boys and old men who huffed and puffed and produced little.

Malky’s comments, heartfelt and genuine, were spoken by a man who appreciated his skill. The incident before the Carlin Cup Final said it all: “ … we turned to shake and say good luck to each other and I said, ‘Go show them just how good you actually are.’ He just had a little smile and a wink. A quiet confidence in that ability. I loved it.”

Though his legs started to go in his last couple of seasons he was still capable, even to the very end, of producing wonderful skill and score his trademark unbelievable goals. Looking back, he was a true legend, in an era when too many are given that accolade undeservedly. His was genuinely earned and warranted.

It has been said that we honour our parents by the way we live our lives. Peter Whittingham clearly honoured his; he was not a moments’ problem in his decade at Cardiff City.

RIP: ‘Dick’ … May your memory be a blessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkasQybrWwo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqIN__uBXW8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MN8OqqEBss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HnwcK6ZHKo

StT. <><
    Dick Whittington?

Hmm, not sure about that one...

I’ve suppressed thinking about Whitts during this period. Great write up from Malky and can’t wait to get down there for a match in Whitt’s honour