+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Abershon street

Abershon street

Coming back with my booze for today i noticed trays of plants and flowers outside a few houses.
    There was signs saying please take for free.What a lovely gesture.There are some really nice thoughtful people out there.

Re: Abershon street

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Coming back with my booze for today i noticed trays of plants and flowers outside a few houses.
    There was signs saying please take for free.What a lovely gesture.There are some really nice thoughtful people out there.
    That has been going on our street since lockdown started - plants and garage clearance stuff out on the pavement for others to take. My old car crooklock (doesn't fit the car I now have) has found a home 200m down the road.

On Saturday my partner organised her third plant stall - most from our garden and a few donations from neighbours - and this time instead of just telling people to take what they want she asked for a small food donation to go to a Food Bank near where we used to live (with the highest deprivation and infection rates in Sheffield). After less than 3 hours everything had gone and we had over £100 in cash donations and a dozen large boxes of food (tins, dried pasta, tea/coffee etc).

I think this sort of thing has been going on all over the country - aided by a rise in real community spirit and mutual aid, social media used properly, and a heavy dose of Thursday communal clapping. I just hope some of this survives the return to 'new normal'.

International

You can't fault that can you? it's brilliant!

My wife is a wonderful gardener and as a thank you to a couple opposite for providing such valuable help during this crisis she gave them about 30 plants she had propagated. You would have thought we had given them the crown jewels because we had a tray of homemade cakes in return. They are a treasure.

Bit pedantic and off topic but I assume you mean Habershon Street.
    Some nice people in Splott.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Knew someone would

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Knew someone would
    lol Can't change thread titles can we?

Yes it does give you hope .

As no one else has asked, I’ll put myself in the firing line !!!!

Why would anyone want “FREE SIGNS” ????

International

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I always drop my h's

Gfys

International

Knew someone would
    Good job no one noticed on the Menelaus street thread, init?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Good job no one noticed on the Menelaus street thread, init?
    Gotta be honest, I’d never heard of that street.

Furthest I went down (whichever was last), was Greenhill or Layard street

I always drop my h's
    I have a vague recollection of my nan pronouncing it "Ab shon" street. She used to live there with my gramp and mum, having moved away from Loudon Square en route to Arthur Street. Also my great uncle's future wife's dad had a bakery or similar on Habershon Street. That was the Sederman family.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    I have a vague recollection of my nan pronouncing it "Ab shon" street. She used to live there with my gramp and mum, having moved away from Loudon Square en route to Arthur Street. Also my great uncle's future wife's dad had a bakery or similar on Habershon Street. That was the Sederman family.
    There was a lot of competition bakery wise in Splott in those times.

There were bakeries on Splott Road, one by St Albans church, but the most famous and busiest was Janet’s Pantry on Carlisle Street

There were bakeries on Splott Road, one by St Albans church, but the most famous and busiest was Janet’s Pantry on Carlisle Street
    God, I miss that smell from Janet’s Pantry, always reminded me of school, no doubt the same for you Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    God, I miss that smell from Janet’s Pantry, always reminded me of school, no doubt the same for you Tony.
    Dinner time from St Illtyds, one would go to Janet’s Pantry for small crusty loaves, the others would go to the chippy.

Rip out all the bread, fill the loaf with chips, frigging lush

Bloody starving now

International

We used to do that, half a cob loaf and 6p of chips lol

We used to do that, half a cob loaf and 6p of chips lol
    Please tell me 6p of chips was a double dose. 3p was the going rate circa 1971. With curry sauce.

I had relatives on Slott Road and my great grandfather was a master baker. My mother was always good for scrounging broken biscuits off her gramp and buns from Sederman's. No wonder she had dentures!

International

Please tell me 6p of chips was a double dose. 3p was the going rate circa 1971. With curry sauce.
    you may be right, 3p was for the half cob loaf lol

you may be right, 3p was for the half cob loaf lol
    6p That’s over a shilling, 6d in mine & Bluetit’s time, a tanner’s worth of chips

I had relatives on Slott Road and my great grandfather was a master baker. My mother was always good for scrounging broken biscuits off her gramp and buns from Sederman's. No wonder she had dentures!

We used to wait outside the CWS biscuit factory on Moorland Road, on a Thursday/Friday night to get broken biscuits off the women workers.
    Great times.
    On the money aspect, I can’t remember what I paid for a bag of chips last week, never mind 1962

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    6p That’s over a shilling, 6d in mine & Bluetit’s time, a tanner’s worth of chips
    Sorry 6d.! lol that was for the chips, 2.5p in new money. I think the half a small cob loaf (which as someone said, you ate the middle out of) was about 4d.