+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genealogy / Menelaus St. Spolt

Re: Genealogy / Menelaus St. Spolt

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Just found that a relative, going back a few generations, married into a Russian family from St Petersburg. This needs looking into in more detail. Also, an Ivor Head and A Hearse are new additions to the family tree (possibly...needs verification). Loads of Heads from Pontypridd. Yo cuz, if you are one of them.
    One of my favourites is I A Wright from Wolverhampton. Has to be said in a Black Country accent (PC to say that these days?) and with a knowledge of Brummie slang (PC to say that in these Peaky Blinder days?).

Guaranteed whoosh there, Cy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    One of my favourites is I A Wright from Wolverhampton. Has to be said in a Black Country accent (PC to say that these days?) and with a knowledge of Brummie slang (PC to say that in these Peaky Blinder days?).

Guaranteed whoosh there, Cy!

Yo ay roight! Fancy mixing up Black Country dialect and Brummie slang. Chances are a Brummie wouldn't understand BC dialect even though the two places are adjacent.

I lived in Llanrumney as a youth but had an aunt who lived in Bridgend Street and in the 1950's I'd visit and stay over when my mum went to see the old ones. Another connection is St Illtyd's - was there between 1957-62. The proper address was Courteny Road not either of the two mentioned by earlier posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I lived in Llanrumney as a youth but had an aunt who lived in Bridgend Street and in the 1950's I'd visit and stay over when my mum went to see the old ones. Another connection is St Illtyd's - was there between 1957-62. The proper address was Courteny Road not either of the two mentioned by earlier posters.

I know what you’re saying about Courtenay Road, but the main entrance to St Illtyds was in University Place

20200522_214749.jpg

here is a street in splott with the houses bricked up for demolition - picture taken in 1975 apparently.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I know what you’re saying about Courtenay Road, but the main entrance to St Illtyds was in University Place
    ^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    20200522_214749.jpg

here is a street in splott with the houses bricked up for demolition - picture taken in 1975 apparently.
    Apart from a lack of damp course, an outside lav and no bathroom, those houses look pretty solid and not in need of demolition. Certainly dont look to be falling down. I've seen a lot worse ready for demolition, a danger to passers by. Progress, I suppose. Or developers making a few quid.

Apart from a lack of damp course, an outside lav and no bathroom, those houses look pretty solid and not in need of demolition. Certainly dont look to be falling down. I've seen a lot worse ready for demolition, a danger to passers by. Progress, I suppose. Or developers making a few quid.
    would you want to live in one?

Yes !!!!

Stronger than the shite they throw up today

I certainly miss the sense of community that existed, having spent a fair bit of my youth in exactly the same type of houses in Adamsdown. The lack of a bathroom was an issue...tin bath in front of the fire or a "swill in the trough" (sink...my gramp used to pronounce it "tro"). Break the ice off the lav in winter and cut up newspaper on a string. If the buildings were sound, but in need of upgrading, there was no need to knock them down. In the early 80's (I think), such houses were improved through an envelope scheme, new double glazing and roofs, paid for by the council. Grid iron roads were altered to reduce through traffic, trees planted and traffic calmed. What remains of these have now shot up in price. So, to answer your question, I certainly wouldn't mind living in one now and have a definite sense of nostalgia, maybe misplaced, for the properties as was. Doors always open, kettle on the stove for a cuppa and bakestones on the go. Share the bingo winnings with the neighbours, who were probably relatives. Days long gone.

Yes !!!!

Stronger than the shite they throw up today
    Which have probably needed to be demolished, due to their poor quality, since.

I certainly miss the sense of community that existed, having spent a fair bit of my youth in exactly the same type of houses in Adamsdown. The lack of a bathroom was an issue...tin bath in front of the fire or a "swill in the trough" (sink...my gramp used to pronounce it "tro"). Break the ice off the lav in winter and cut up newspaper on a string. If the buildings were sound, but in need of upgrading, there was no need to knock them down. In the early 80's (I think), such houses were improved through an envelope scheme, new double glazing and roofs, paid for by the council. Grid iron roads were altered to reduce through traffic, trees planted and traffic calmed. What remains of these have now shot up in price. So, to answer your question, I certainly wouldn't mind living in one now and have a definite sense of nostalgia, maybe misplaced, for the properties as was. Doors always open, kettle on the stove for a cuppa and bakestones on the go. Share the bingo winnings with the neighbours, who were probably relatives. Days long gone.
    We have a laugh now about the phrase ‘We always left our front door open’..........we had f*ck all to pinch

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We have a laugh now about the phrase ‘We always left our front door open’..........we had f*ck all to pinch
    We got burgled one evening while we were all watching Corrie Street on the 14 inch black and white telly on top of the piano.
    the burglar left my mother ten bob on the kitchen table.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    We got burgled one evening while we were all watching Corrie Street on the 14 inch black and white telly on top of the piano.
    the burglar left my mother ten bob on the kitchen table.
    I hope the 10 bob was in tanners...useful for the gas.

I hope the 10 bob was in tanners...useful for the gas.

It was shillings for the gas and lecky, wasn’t it ?

International

We never had prepayment meters in our house. I used to think that meant we weren't posh enough lol

Tanners and bobs, I think. I'm talking late 60s/early 70s. Might be wrong. I do seem to remember my nan having to borrow a tanner off me to put in the meter to cook lunch as the gas had run out.Gramp was probably down the turf accountants at the time.

Not sure about the lucky.

International

Tanners and bobs, I think. I'm talking late 60s/early 70s. Might be wrong. I do seem to remember my nan having to borrow a tanner off me to put in the meter to cook lunch as the gas had run out.Gramp was probably down the turf accountants at the time.
    Turf accountant hey? there's posh!!!

It was a tanner in the 50's, neighbours used to come and ask my mum for change.

Bookies on Pearl Street was gramp's second home. More tanners and Bob's spent there than on the gas. I've still got a letter his brother sent home in WW1, before going to France. On the back, at the side, are gramp's (or one of his brother's) odds scribbled down for horses he was betting on. Bloke on a street corner taking the bets before it was legal. Complete with lookouts and runners. 70 years of wages from the railways and pension donated to turf accounts various over the years. No wonder the front door was always open! Hopefully someone had a win on the bingo and they'd share it out. Enough to keep the gas going for a day or two amongst half a dozen households.

Bookies on Pearl Street was gramp's second home. More tanners and Bob's spent there than on the gas. I've still got a letter his brother sent home in WW1, before going to France. On the back, at the side, are gramp's (or one of his brother's) odds scribbled down for horses he was betting on. Bloke on a street corner taking the bets before it was legal. Complete with lookouts and runners. 70 years of wages from the railways and pension donated to turf accounts various over the years. No wonder the front door was always open! Hopefully someone had a win on the bingo and they'd share it out. Enough to keep the gas going for a day or two amongst half a dozen households.

My Dad, used to take bets in and outside The Rhymney, (later called Baileys).

That was his pitch and no-one else was allowed to take bets there. This was during the day, his full time job was full time night shifts (so he could have his little sideline) was as a “master baker” (cue jokes), in Merrett’s, on Newport Road.

Coppers (Plod), were given a backhander to leave well alone

Y
    My Dad, used to take bets in and outside The Rhymney, (later called Rumpole’s).
    I
    That was his pitch and no-one else was allowed to take bets there. This was during the day, his full time job was full time night shifts (so he could have his little sideline) was as a “master baker” (cue jokes), in Merrett’s, on Newport Road.

Coppers (Plod), were given a backhander to leave well alone

Bloody lockdown getting to me, I had Rumpole of the Bailey on my mind and chose the wrong fecker